Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tired of damaging my hair!! HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lovelikeair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovelikeair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tired of damaging my hair!! HELP!
    Posted: September 04 2005 at 2:07pm

Hey everyone, I'm new here and would like advice. I'm 1/2 filipino and 1/2 irish and I have thick/wavy hair. Since forever, I've been blowdrying my hair to reduce the waviness and for the last year, I've been also using a ceramic straightening iron to really reduce the waviness. It's tiresome to say the least and I hate what it's done to my hair. So, I've decided I just want to wear my hair au natural but when I let my hair airdry, it ends up super frizzy. I've never really seeked hair advice before because I've always received compliments on how thick and beautiful my hair is but those people haven't seen my hair sans blowdrying/straightening. I wash and condition my hair every day (bad?). And I've been reading other posts and I see acronyms like CWC COW WC etc. and it confuses me. lol

So, please help me. :) 

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 10:24am

That's awesome that you're making the decision to go natural.  

When you see "CWC", "COW", etc. basically a C stands for Condition, and a W stands for Wash. Except for COW, that's a combination of Conditioner-Only and Wash. They are combination hair washing techniques.

• CO = Conditioner Only. Light conditioner massaged into scalp, rinse, regular conditioner on length.
  • COW-C, C-COW-C, variations = COW stands for a "cow c.ocktail", which is basically a mixture of water, light conditioner, and shampoo, shaken to a milky froth. and then you'd follow with a regular Conditioner
  • CWC = Condition, Wash, Condition. (light conditioner, rinse, shampooing, followed by your usual conditioner)
  • WC = regular shampoo, regular conditioner.

A light conditioner is anything you can find less than 1.00 at the drugstore. Such as Alberto V05 or Suave Naturals. They're very watered-down and easy to use. These light conditioners really help protect the length from the shampoo, when you light condition before washing. more wash info found here

Everyday hairwashing isn't necessarily bad, but you can always reduce it to every-other-day. On average, the "ideal" routine is about 2 times a week, but some people have scalps that need more frequent shampoo (because of varying degrees of oil production or dead skin buildup) . Of course, the methods that involve diluted shampoo will lengthen the time between hairwashes.

edited to add: The COW variations and the CO method have greatly reduced frizz for me. Hair gets frizzier on average when more shampoo is involved.

Hope this helps

Anais

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic