Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! Should I cut my damaged hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scottishsiren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottishsiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! Should I cut my damaged hair?
    Posted: September 05 2005 at 9:37pm

I am new to this board, but very glad that it exists!  I have been trying to grow out some short layers in my hair for a while now, but just ruined all my hard work by messing around with home color, and then having two different stylists try to re-color it.  Needless to say, it is fried.  I don't know that a conditioning treatment would really work.  Should I just "cut" my losses at this point?  I would rather my hair be healthier and short than fried, but I don't think I can go through the wait of growing it all out again.  It is currently about an inch below my chin.  Any good advice here?

PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 2:03am
Ok my first advice is wait at least 3 weeks before you do anything else except for conditioning and washing.

If your hair is at chin length you can maintain that length for a while and let your natural hair grow back.

You could let it grow to your shoulders and then maintain there.

How far you can grow before needing to get some trimmed or cut is going to depend on what you can do and what you can tolerate.

Should you cut it? Maybe
Should you not cut it? Maybe

But you should give yourself a few weeks to rest not only your hair but your mind. Right now you're still too fresh from the coloring hassle and if you do something now you might regret it. Give yourself some time to clear your thoughts so you'll know for sure.

I hope things work out for you. Please keep us informed how you are doing. Regardless of what you decide to do.
Delenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 8:39am
I agree with Robert, also try some deep conditioning.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottishsiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 8:49am
Thanks, both of you, for your advice.  I am at my wits end, and I don't want to make some rash decision.  I will try some deep conditioning for the next month and hope for the best. 
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 9:15am
Do you still have layers to grow out or did the cut get rid of them?
cookiesnkream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookiesnkream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 8:47pm

i suggest a good hair serum ,, my hair was very
fried but its stil grown in nicely without trimming
becuz i deep condition well and use serums,, i never
leave myhair with no product for moisture in it,, i dont
think trimming is necessary unless ur hair is
breaking off horriblyy, i couls just trim off the little split
ends urlself ,, remember moisture is the key for fried
hair,, DEEP CONDITION
Hair type: 3b some c?, fine strands, last relaxer sept 05, never again!!! current :ap length on sides,,nearly bsl in back, damn those old frazzled ends! I am hair OBSESSED   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottishsiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 8:40am
When you say "hair serum," what do you mean?  Also, how long until I see effects from deep conditioning?  I bought some expensive stuff yesterday and the hair doesn't seem any better. Do you have a deep conditioner that worked for you?  Did it work immediately?
buckiefairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckiefairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 11:25am

You can get serums from anywhere. I get mine from asda, at £1.68. I suppose asda's isn't the best you can get, but it basically makes your hair smoother. Only use a little otherwise it'll just look greasy. One pump of the asda stuff normally does me and my hair's past BSL so you'll probablly only need half a pump. As for the deep conditioner, what did you buy? I use Aussie 3 minute Miracle (I leave it in for 15 minutes though) and it's great. Nothing can 'fix' the damage but Aussie certainly made my hair look and feel better. What's your routine, do you condition every time you wash etc? Keep us updated!

Buckie

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic