Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trimming dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
siras86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siras86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trimming dilemma
    Posted: September 08 2005 at 5:16am

Hey! I’m new around here… I’ve been reading your forum and well I would be glad if you can help me out a bit… I have straight black hair reaching up to my hip bone my problem is that i have split ends not the classic type of lateral split but uneven thickness towards the end of my hair resulting in slight frizziness. If I wanted to get rid of all the damage from my hair I would have to cut off a lot of length… i’ve heard that splits move up the hair shaft and that they can result in hairfall… so could someone please tell me what I should do?? thnx

PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 5:26am
You can get yourself some decent scissors, preferrably for hair.

Then divide your hair into sections.

Go through your hair one section at a time and snip off any splits that you see. You take the individual strand that has a split end and cut that hair just a tiny bit above where the split is.

Continue doing that section of hair until you have what seems to be most of them done. Don't let this overwhelm you. You don't have to do your whole head at one time. By sectioning your hair you can go back later and resection and start where you left off.

I have this also written out as an article here.
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/bbubba/LHC/Trim.html

and here's one about scissors
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/bbubba/LHC/Scissors.html
siras86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siras86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 5:45am
thankyou for your help... but i was just wondering wouldn't cutting individual splits cause all the hair to be of different lengths... i don't mean to be rude i'm just curious 
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 6:22am
If you get at those splits before they start to travel you'll only be slightly different lengths. That's a lot easier to grow out than letting them travel. Plus if you get rid of the splits your hair will lay a bit flatter and not rub other hairs as much which causes other hairs to split.

This is completely up to you and I don't think you were being rude

The fact is the split is on those hairs. Those hairs are essentially already that short (the point where the split is). They just happen to have some hair below the split. There's no way to fix the hair below the split on that strand. You can either leave it alone or snip above the split. It only matters what you are comfortable with doing.

siras86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siras86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 6:38am
thnx a lot 4 ur help... i will try it i guess
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 5:48pm
Hello Siras, and welcome 

No need to lurk or be shy, jump right in and feel free to talk (or ask questions) about your hair all you want.  Doing so is most certainly not rude.

I believe that it is better to trim split ends even if some strands may be shorter than others.  No head of hair is perfect.  As the ends of our hair strands get longer and thus older, they get more fragile and susceptible to splitting.  Increasing numbers of splits on longer hair are not uncommon.

siras86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siras86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 2:58am
thankyou for your help...
btw you have very beautiful hair
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 4:13pm
Thank you Siras 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic