Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Argh the grease!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
buckiefairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckiefairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Argh the grease!!!
    Posted: September 08 2005 at 3:50pm

My hair has suddenly started to get really greasy within 1-2 days of washing it. I used to be able to go without washing it for 3 or 4 days at least, but it looks awful now after that long. I don't understand it! I havn't changed anything in the past few months. In June I started COing with deep conditioning once a month and an ACV rinse every second wash and it was quite greasy for a while then, but eventually it was fine so i gathered my scalp had adjusted and wasn't producing as many oils or whatever. Should I go back to shampooing or use a lighter conditioner? Can anyone help me? It's driving me mad!

Buckie

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 5:52pm
Hi Buckiefairy,

Do you apply conditioner to the scalp?  If so, you may want to condition all but the first 3-6 inches of your strands intstead.

Anything else in your life changed?  Diet?  Exercise?  ?

Sometimes you need to wash as often as it takes to get your scalp clean, before you can reduce frequency of washing again.

(btw, I like your signature line )
buckiefairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckiefairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 10:16am

Hey Dave. Thanks for replying.

Yes, I do put conditioner on my scalp but I thought that was necessary when COing. Maybe I got confused there though. My lifestyle hasn't changed, I eat healthily in general and excercise regularly. The only thing I can think of is the stress of being back at school, but would that have such an effect on my hair?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 1:38pm
I can't do CO for the same reason.  My scalp just doesn't work well with conditioner on it.  Depends on the individual.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 4:16pm
From what I know of the routines of those who CO, a light conditioner is used for the "wash" step.  That might help you.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 5:32pm
I use CO, and yes a CO'er does put conditioner on the scalp. Maybe you
could try a fusion method like the C-COW-C?
my LJ, 40 inches long
Elyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 8:16pm

Hi buckiefairy,

Maybe it's just the summer heat?  Did you have this problem last summer?  By the way, ACV seems to make my hair greasy - can't figure out why, but maybe try skipping (or reducing the frequency of) that step.  Good luck!

June 2005

Tiramisu2c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiramisu2c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2005 at 12:51am
Even though you are doing CO, you might want to try a clarifying shampoo.  I use Neutrogena's Anti-Residue Shampoo and it's great.  You can immediately feel a difference in your hair.  The conditioner builds up over time, so the clarifyer removes all of the residue.  This should relieve your greasiness.

"Long Hair Wishes and Frizz-Free Dreams!"
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 8:40pm

Combining what Elyse and Tiramisu2c said- ACV makes my hair greasy too, and Neutrogena Anti-Residue does help that (although, for me at least, it also causes my hair to break off).  But it really does depend on the person... some scalps (like mine) can't handle the CO method.  I use a diluted shampoo on my scalp once a week to help with the grease and it works pretty well.

Do what makes your hair happy

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic