Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To Cut or Not to Cut? What should I do?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BrooKiki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrooKiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Cut or Not to Cut? What should I do?
    Posted: September 22 2005 at 8:41pm
I want to start this by saying I want long hair.  I probably won't go to terminal length, or even classic.  I'd be satisfied with hair that reached to the bottom of my rib cage...a few inches beyong BSL.  As of now, my current length is flirting with BSL.  It's not quite there, but it's pretty close.  My problem is that it's layered.  The length is about 14 inches at the shortest point, if I'm meauring correctly.  This means that if I try to do an updo, put it into a bun, use hairsticks, etc, I'm looking at several pieces that are just too darn short to do anything with.  Some parts also slip out of ponytails.  There really isn't significant damage...a few more split ends than I would like, but nothing major.  Of course, I haven't given it the care it should have had.  

To make it all one length, I would have to cut about four inches, putting at my shoulders, maybe a hair past.   Should I cut it to all one length?  Should I do nothing?  Should I split the difference and cut a couple of inches now and wait for the rest to catch up?  Or what?

And by the way, I count a couple of bad hair-related puns in this post.  They were not intentional.  *g*
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 12:26am
I say give yourself at least two to three weeks to decide.

Then if you decide that you want to cut some do up to 2 of the 4 inches.

In the meantime you'll have given yourself not only decision time but time for up to 1/2" to grow.

But it's always up to you. And no matter what decision you make we will support you.

If you can't stand it and really need to do something now then try not to go over 2 inches. And don't let anyone talk you into doing what you don't want. That includes me. If you want to do something other than what I said that's fine.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 3:14am

Me personally, I would just trim as it grows, get rid of the split ends so they dont travel and eventually your layers will grow out.

P.S. Robert, your hair is looking beautiful.

PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 3:22am
Thanks Kalika :)

And Kalika gives good advice too.
The key is to slow down. Try not to act too impulsively. There's lots of ways to reach your goals. Some involve cutting now and some involve cutting later. Find what works for you, and will make you most happy of the options.
BrooKiki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrooKiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 3:18am
Your hair does look great, Robert. 

Honestly, I'm not in a burning "I need to cut my hair and I need to do it NOW!" phase.  I'm just kind of considering what might be easiest to work with.  I may go with the trimming it as it grows thing.  It just looks really bad right now, I think, because it's more or less bilevel. 
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 2:27pm
BrooKiki, if YOU think it looks "bad", do what you must do, but maybe playing with the curling iron with those last four layered inches might be more fun and satisfying for you. (Knowing you're desirous of length!) Best, Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic