Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lost With Shea Butter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lost With Shea Butter
    Posted: October 06 2005 at 12:50pm
Refined shea butter is not good because they refine the shea butter with bleach that removes alot of moisturizing benefits. You can find it at a natural food store, I get mine at a local African food store.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 11:03am
My mom gets shea butter from this lady's company called Traditional Products. It's 100% pure shea butter but it has essential oils like rose or lavendar in it. 
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 9:48am
Not Layla- but when i purchased shea butter last i got mine from www.agbangakarite.com and i was very pleased with my purchase. Plus the money actually goes back to the village that produced it. Hope this helps.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Jazmynsgrandma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazmynsgrandma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 8:45am

Thanks everyone for your tips.  You ladies are amazing!

Layla, where do you get your unrefined shea butter from?  Is it mixed with other things or is it the true shea butter?  From what I've learned, true shea butter has a smokey smell naturally.  Thanks.

blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 12:29pm
The trick is that you do a hot oil treatment on the hair with the shea butter and do your regular shampoo and conditon. Dry hair absorbs oil better and then you wash away whatever your hair didn't absorb. Sometimes I even do it overnight putting the oil in my hair and sleeping with it.

Originally posted by cmesweet cmesweet wrote:

I used it while I transitoned and it made my hair super soft. I just melted it and then put a plastic cap over my head and used a hot towel...a friend showed me to wet a towel and warm it in them microwave real low....It worked...but now shea butter makes my natural hair greasey so I haven't done it in a while.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazmynsgrandma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 8:40am

Thank you for your suggestions.  I will purchase some oils.  I went home last night and did my first conditioning wash.  I can't believe how nice my hair came out.  I wouldn't have ever thought that I could just use conditioner and still style my hair without washing.  Amazing!

Again, thanks so much for the tips!!!

Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Jazmynsgrandma Jazmynsgrandma wrote:

Hi,

I'm fairly new here to this board and I read your post about the nassabb shea butter.  I just purchased it after going onto their website and received the products yesterday afternoon.   My question to you is this: what do you do to mask the smokey smell of the shea butter?  I love the texture of it and the way it made my skin super soft and it stayed that way for a very long time, but the smell is almost too much to bear.  Could you help me out, please????

Thanks so much for your help.  You have been an inspiration to me since i've been reading all the posts here.  I've been changing my routine with my hair for about 2 months now and I have to say, you ladies sure do know what you are talking about when it comes to hair   My hair has grown and has not shedded in over a month now.  Thank you, thank you for your sharing of your beauty secrets.  It's been a blessing.

It does have a kind of unpleasant, smokey smell but I've just learned to deal with it.  It works so good I don't even care.  The smell usually goes after awhile anyway.  Like Layla said, you can also add some essential oils to it such as jasmine, rose, ylang ylang...etc. 

It's great to hear how good your hair is doing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 6:55am

Originally posted by aries_mami05 aries_mami05 wrote:

Umm, I cant order anything or products on the internet cuz Im to young and I dont have a credit card and my dad sometimes trip about his..So umm do you know like what stores or where I can buy some good Unrefined Shea Butter from? And What Brand.

I've heard that some of the GNC vitamin stores have it.

aries_mami05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aries_mami05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 11:21pm
Umm, I cant order anything or products on the internet cuz Im to young and I dont have a credit card and my dad sometimes trip about his..So umm do you know like what stores or where I can buy some good Unrefined Shea Butter from? And What Brand.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 11:27am
Does the nassabb come scented? Where I get my unrefined shea butter from it comes scented so I don't get that smoky smell. You can use essential oils to scent it yourself.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazmynsgrandma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 9:40am

Hi,

I'm fairly new here to this board and I read your post about the nassabb shea butter.  I just purchased it after going onto their website and received the products yesterday afternoon.   My question to you is this: what do you do to mask the smokey smell of the shea butter?  I love the texture of it and the way it made my skin super soft and it stayed that way for a very long time, but the smell is almost too much to bear.  Could you help me out, please????

Thanks so much for your help.  You have been an inspiration to me since i've been reading all the posts here.  I've been changing my routine with my hair for about 2 months now and I have to say, you ladies sure do know what you are talking about when it comes to hair   My hair has grown and has not shedded in over a month now.  Thank you, thank you for your sharing of your beauty secrets.  It's been a blessing.

Edited by Jazmynsgrandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 7:31am

You do it before you shampoo

Okay, thanks cmesweet

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 10:57pm

BrownEyez2I hear alot of women on forums who are relaxed that use shea butter, especially in the baggie method...I used it as a hot treatment only cause it was too greasey for me, but as a hot oil treatment it made my relaxed hair super soft. 

Aseya-You can melt shea butter in multiple ways...one way is putting shea butter in a container and letting the container sit in hot water...this usually takes a while.  You can melt it on low on top of the stove or you can melt it in the microwave on low (u don't want to get a burn).

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

BrownEyez2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 9:19pm

I've been interested in purchasing shea butter for quite some time. But is it good to use on relaxed hair?  Is it too heavy to use if wearing a straight style?  Will it weigh the hair down?

~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
aries_mami05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aries_mami05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 9:07pm
how do you properly melt the shea butter?
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 9:03pm
 You do it before you shampoo
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 1:33pm

I used it while I transitoned and it made my hair super soft. I just melted it and then put a plastic cap over my head and used a hot towel...a friend showed me to wet a towel and warm it in them microwave real low....It worked...but now shea butter makes my natural hair greasey so I haven't done it in a while.

Okay...thanks.  Just one more question....do you do this after you've shampooed and conditioned?  I haven't done a hot oil treatment in forever so I forgot.  I think I will try this.

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 1:28pm

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 1:11pm

Have you tried using your shea butter as a hotoil treatment?

I've really been wanting to try doing that.  How do you do it?  Im assuming just melt the oil first and then apply and sit under dryer?  Does it work well?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 1:09pm

Originally posted by aries_mami05 aries_mami05 wrote:

o0o k, yea i heard the refined is not the best..!! wow! ya hair is beautiful..how long did it take you?

Yeah unrefined is the best quality.

Thank you...I got my last relaxer in 2000 and it's been growing great ever since.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic