Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Color Needs Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kdavies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdavies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Color Needs Help!
    Posted: October 03 2005 at 7:53pm
I am a blonde who decided to go red. I have done this before with no
problems but this time I must have left the color on too long, as it has a
magenta hue to it. I'm in a small town with few experienced stylists, so I
prefer to deal with it myself. I was thinking of using a blonde dye to move
the color back towards red and away from the blue.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Does what I'm thinking make
sense?

Thanks!
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 6:56am

If your going darker and the desired color is more than 2 levels lower than your current haircolor it is best to fill in with a filler before attempting to tint back to a darker color.

If your desired color is red and your more than 2 levels above the desired color you would fill in with an orange filler before adding the dye.

As for the Magenta Hue did you put color over color? Color doesn't remove color! If you had a permanent hair color on your hair then put permanent all thru the hair the already colored hair with more permanent color on it could have made that color the Magenta. Very important to remember is that colored hair should always be treated differently than your regrowth or root area.

Hope that helps you.

G'luck

kdavies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdavies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 7:23am
I did not put color over color. I'm an ash blonde, though, and went to a
medium auburn. I didn't realize it would be as dark as it is.

I wasn't thinking that a blonde dye would remove the auburn, just that it
would move the color back towards a red pallette from the magenta that I've
got.
kdavies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdavies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 7:24am
I dyed it on Saturday, btw, so this is a new thing.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 6:22am

[QUOTE=kdavies]I did not put color over color. I'm an ash blonde, though, and went to a
medium auburn. I didn't realize it would be as dark as it is.

I wasn't thinking that a blonde dye would remove the auburn, just that it
would move the color back towards a red pallette from the magenta that I've
got.[/
QUOTE]

That statement sounds me to like you put color over already colored hair. Was the ash blonde your natural haircolor of was it chemically colored? I guess I'm a little confused as to what you are saying. If it was colored it doesn't matter how long ago and you colored over it the result would be darker. Color doesn't lighten hair that has been previously colored. Just trying to clarify this for myself to better help you.

kdavies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdavies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 7:21am
My hair is ash blonde naturally. I've dyed it the medium auburn and it's
darker than I wanted it...kind of magenta.

I haven't used a blonde dye, yet...I wanted some opinions first.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 8:48pm

Going from a light ash to a auburn I think it would be required to fill in with an filler....more commonly known as pre-pigmenting before applying the color so the auburn has the underlying pigment in the hair needed to grab the proper color when applying the final color.

I definately wouldn't apply blonde over that color it might end up orange and very brassy. You can try filling with a orange filler. I know with some professional lines you can pre-pigment after a color application. I'm not so sure about the box stuff tho....I've never used it. Sorry I can't help you more.

kdavies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdavies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 9:57am
Thank you for your help. I was worried about it going orange, too, which
would be worse than the magenta!

I found a comment someplace that Prell has a tendency to fade color, so I'm
going to try using that for a bit. I've also noticed that the magenta hue is
starting to fade after several washings, so maybe it will work out ok.

Thank you, again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic