Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice Needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
-Ally- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Ally- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice Needed
    Posted: October 06 2005 at 5:33am
I'm a 15-year-old girl, and I'm just looking for a bit of advice.

The last time I had my hair cut was at the start of last year, which, I know, is a long time to go without having anything done to your hair. Mid-last year, a teacher accidentally hacked away an inch or so from half of my hair with a pair of blunt scissors (in plaits for a musical, you know the story), and although that looked outwardly odd from the uneveness, I didn't worry too much. Not long after, I started having extreme split ends showing up. Early this year, I feel drastically ill, and still am in such a situation, which caused me to spend six months in bed. During that time, I had two stages where I was too weak to brush my hair, therefore the mass of tangles and knots took about 7 hours to remove. After those occurences, I've made sure to keep my hair tangle-free, but the split ends are innumerable, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I've mentioned it to my mother, but she doesn't seem to think anything needs to be done, although they travel a fair way up. My previous fringe goes down to my collar-bone, and that has split ends, too.

I just thought I'd add, also, that I have blonde hair to my mid-back. I've never had it dyed, straightened, or curled it with anything that could damage my hair, yet the split end look still remains.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, do you have any advice on where I can go from here? Anything at all would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Ally

Edited by -Ally-
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 5:52am
You don't really have to have done anything to damage your hair for split ends to show up.  They just kinda come on their own :-P .  There are products you can buy to temporarily stick them back together, but it's not really fixed.  To get rid of them, you have to have them cut off.
More awesome than a manatee!
-Ally- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Ally- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 5:57am
I did to a bit of reading to come to that conclusion, but, without knowing how far they're split, I'm not really wanting to have to cut my hair back to a moderately short length. Can the split ends alone be cut off, in a sense, or is that not possible?

-desperately trying to keep long-ish hair -
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 12:32pm

A bad cut with blunt scissors can lead to split ends.  Bad razor cuts  have the same effect and too hot of a hair dryer does not help either.  It sounds like your teacher's trim job started the problem.

And yes, you can trim them off.  Pull out sections of your hair and see how far up they go.  I imagine a couple of inches at the most will do it.  And afterward, make sure your hair tools - brushes, combs, etc. - are in good condition and are not too hard.

Also, since you are recovering from an apparently very severe illness, your hair will reflect this.  If you are not doing so already, start taking a multi-vitamin and get plenty of water.  The healthier you are on the inside will reflect on your hair.

I had posted this link on another thread, but it has some good hair information:

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_74.htm

-Ally- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Ally- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 7:40pm
Thank you so much for the advice!

I recently changed from a hair brush to a comb, after seeing the mass amounts of hair pulled out after brushing. I frequently have to brush my hair when it's wet (before school), and the effects were awful. The comb appears to be stopping less hair from coming out, but I think the damage is done. Either way, from the looks of it, trimming them is the only way to go.

Mullti-vitamins are out of the question due to reactions that I have to tablets, etc., but I'll be sure to keep up the water.

Thanks for the link, too. The advice has helped a lot.
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2005 at 8:15am
how did a teacher "accidently" cut your hair at school?
-Ally- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Ally- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2005 at 9:02am
I was part of the school musical last year, and she was fitting a costume. As I said earlier, my hair was in plaits for the role, and as she was cutting around the upper back/shoulders, she forgot to remove my hair from under the material.

It was an odd situation, to say the least.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic