Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Curly Girl who’s sick of fighting her hai

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KaliKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaliKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curly Girl who’s sick of fighting her hai
    Posted: October 13 2005 at 10:06am

Hey there Curlies-

I'm a newbie to the site, but not to curly hair. I've always had naturally wavy/curly/fizzy hair. I recently got a body wave to make the curls more uniform. It is layered with shortest layers around my face and longest reaching my collar bone (though I'm really trying to grow it to my shoulder  blade, any tips/tricks for growing would be awesome) I'm really looking to have bodicelli (sp) curls.  I've spent the last 4+ years fighting it and I'm sick of doing that.  I want to learn to love my curls. So I need some help figuring out the best things to use/and ways to treat my curls. My curls really tend to fizz around my face.

I have color treated hair, and here is my normal routine.

Wash with Paul Mitchell Skinny shampoo

Condition with Paul Mitchell Skinny Conditoner

For styling I use Paul Mitchell Medium Hold Sculpting foam but 1st i'll put in Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serome and to try and ward off frizzes I'll use Paul Mitchell gloss drops on ends. I blow dry on low with a defuser.

Some times I'll sub in Aveda Confixour Liquid Gel. 

Some other misc products I may sub in are

Paul Mitchell The Wash Shampoo

Paul Mitchell Awaphi (sp) shampoo

Paul Mitchell The Conditioner

Got 2 B Curl Up

A curl baum (i forget the manufactor)
UPDATE  KMS Curl Up balm and curl spray  

Any help would be great. Also is the Curly Girl  book really worth buying?

Thanks so much !!

Edited by KaliKat
"Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy."
Hair Type ~2B/2C~
Goal Length add 3 inches to collar bone length hair
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 5:06pm

I've heard from MANY people that the Curly Girl book isn't worth buying because the curly forums, and hair forums in general, will have all the information you need.

You would probably be a good candidate for gradually quitting shampoo. CO (Conditioner Only) tends to work really well for curly hair because both curlies and Asian hair types need lots of moisture. Shampoo tends to dry out curly and Asian hair. I gradually worked towards no-shampoo by diluting my shampoo in a squeeze bottle (then applying to the scalp), then I moved on to using less shampoo in the dilution, then diluting both shampoo and conditioner, then finally Conditioner Only. I notice a lot more curl and wave definition after sock curling.

More information on washing methods can be found here.

Hugs

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 5:10pm
Does the body perm give you the type of curls you want? If not I think you should stop using it because using two different types of chemicals on your hair isn't good for it. Have you checked out naturallycurly.com? Here are some product suggestions for you to try:
A/G Re:Coil
KMS Curl Up Balm
Biotin
DevaCurl NoPoo
toni and guy's moisture injection curl balm
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
KaliKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaliKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 8:12pm
Anais,
thanks for the reply. I checked out your site and it awesome.  I'll probably skip the book.these forums are awesome. I'll be sure to check out the washing methods. I'm up to try anything.

Layla
Yes and no. I only got it on Tuesday. So today was the 1st day i could style it.  I'll have to check out those products. Also how do you figure out your hair type. thanks again
"Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy."
Hair Type ~2B/2C~
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 11:41pm

Thanks KaliKat

Fia's hairtyping system is here. You can click on the letters across the top to view different types, and then there's the classic descriptions of the entire classifier system. For example, I'm approximately 1c M/C iii: 1c wave, M/C (medium to coarse strand) ii/iii for volume of 3.75" ponytail circumference.

Hope this helps

Anais

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
KaliKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaliKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 7:09am

Thanks Anais,

I'm guessing I'm a combo of 2b/2c. I'm going to post a better pix (hopefully tonight) so maybe you could verify my thoughts.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=19b285x3.4tu5z1 3&Uy=utpma5&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfrom share&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

thanks!

Edited by KaliKat
Hair Type ~2B/2C~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic