Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How long will it take?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KaliKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaliKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long will it take?
    Posted: October 13 2005 at 11:36am

Hi

I'm a newbie. Quick question. I have curly/wavy  collar bone legnth hair right now. I'd like it to be below my shoulder blades (think Carrie in Season 5 of Sex and the City) . Estimate on how long it'll take. Any tips, tricks that has worked for anyone else

thanks so much

Edited by KaliKat
"Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy."
Hair Type ~2B/2C~
Goal Length add 3 inches to collar bone length hair
MrsMNK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMNK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 12:54pm
well hair grows at an average of half an inch per month so....maybe 6 month maybe less, depending on ur hair growth and how good you treat your hair. hope this helps
Type *~2A/2B~* waist length

Aim *butt length*
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 1:57pm

/\ Six months is only three inches.  I think it will take longer.

How curly your hair is Kalicat could make a difference.  If it is very curly, then it will take a while because you will have to grow it longer than that to have it hang dry at the specific length you want.  From your length to below the shoulder blades is about what, 8 to 9 inches?  This is a guess - I am at work and can't really do a good measurement.

If your hair grows the standard 1/2 inch a month, then it might take 16 to 18 months - not too long of time really.  However, if you are going to go for it - learn to do your own trims.  If you frequent a professional hair stylist, I seriously doubt your hair will ever get below the shoulder blades. 

KaliKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaliKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 8:17pm
Mrs MNK thanks for the info.  i'm pretty hard on my hair to be honest. Coloring, perming, been flat ironing it for EVER (now I"m embracing my curls) Also how do you figure out your hair type?

Tyranna,
I have semi wavy curly hair. But good point on it taking longer. As for the trims, my best friend is a manager of a salon and I go to her. She's pretty good at only taking the bare minum off my length.

Thanks to both of you.
"Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy."
Hair Type ~2B/2C~
MrsMNK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMNK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 3:47am

http://naturallycurly2.com/curl411/types.php?PHPSESSID=2e142 fddf7d9ee2ca4ac6f9e1b46fee2

go to this site, to the hair type page, and you should be able to find out what hair type you have, hope this helps!

Aim *butt length*
KaliKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaliKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 6:57am

YUp MrsMNK it did. I'm going to post beter pictures soon, (hopefully tonight) but here are some so you can have an idea of what my hair does.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=19b285x3.4tu5z1 3&Uy=utpma5&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfrom share&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

thanks again

Originally posted by MrsMNK MrsMNK wrote:

http://naturallycurly2.com/curl411/types.php?PHPSESSID=2e142 fddf7d9ee2ca4ac6f9e1b46fee2

go to this site, to the hair type page, and you should be able to find out what hair type you have, hope this helps!

Edited by KaliKat
Hair Type ~2B/2C~
MrsMNK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMNK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 7:39am
Hey ur hair looks pretty good! im sure it would look even better Longer, how long would you like you hair to grow altogether through life?

Aim *butt length*
KaliKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaliKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 7:50am

Really just those 3 -4 extra inches. I don't think I could do reallly long hair, though I'm so jealous of those who can. So I'm hoping I guess by this time next year I'll be at my goal. Sigh... that's so far away  that is my goal. It just seems like it reaches this length and it stops growing.

not sure what is up with that. 

Hair Type ~2B/2C~
MrsMNK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMNK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 8:07am

maybe ur hair seems to not grow because of perming and dying ect this will cause ur hair constant breakage, Anyone can grow their hair long if they put all they can into it.

Aim *butt length*
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 2:37pm
I once new a girl with a terminal length at around her collar bone. It drove her mad. Her hair was pretty fine though and your's looks although it has a good amount of body to it.
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 5:54am
Hi Kali. Welcome. As a fellow curly head, I don't think you'd have any problems with getting some length. From your pictures, your hair does not appear to have significant "shrinkage" and is more wavy so you'd probably get some decent length in the same time as most other hair types would.  If you are just "settling" for your goal length because you don't think you can get it any longer, than I'd recommend stopping all damaging habits like heat, chemical dyes, etc. and you might be very pleasantly suprised by just how long your hair CAN grow.  I know it does seem like forever to wait, and I feel the same way sometimes  but I have told myself to just enjoy the journey and invent some different ways to wear your hair during the process. At least if it's curly, you can hide all the awkward lengths a little easier (ie....there are no "sticking out" issues, it's all part of the wild curl!! hehehe)

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
KaliKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaliKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 6:39am

Hey thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that 3 extra inches just might be enough length. You're right my hair doesn't "shrink" too much.  The reason for setting my length at that point is I think it'll be the most flattering for me, and my hair. But who knows maybe I'll go longer. As for stopping chem. damage, i'm not willing to totally give that up. I love my color and curl so i know i've got that against me. but I did try the condition wash condition idea and it seemed to really help define the curl a bit. so we will see what happens.

i have to say that I LOVE your current style and color. it's 100% gorgeous. Best of luck with your hair. and thanks again for the tips.

Originally posted by missrini missrini wrote:

Hi Kali. Welcome. As a fellow curly head, I don't think you'd have any problems with getting some length. From your pictures, your hair does not appear to have significant "shrinkage" and is more wavy so you'd probably get some decent length in the same time as most other hair types would.  If you are just "settling" for your goal length because you don't think you can get it any longer, than I'd recommend stopping all damaging habits like heat, chemical dyes, etc. and you might be very pleasantly suprised by just how long your hair CAN grow.  I know it does seem like forever to wait, and I feel the same way sometimes  but I have told myself to just enjoy the journey and invent some different ways to wear your hair during the process. At least if it's curly, you can hide all the awkward lengths a little easier (ie....there are no "sticking out" issues, it's all part of the wild curl!! hehehe)

Hair Type ~2B/2C~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic