Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

extensions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: extensions
    Posted: October 21 2005 at 12:24pm
I'm posting a lot at the moment! lol

Anyway. What do you feel about extensions. I know this could descend in to an argument, all I mean is, although anyone can do what they want to their hair, what si your opinion of using extensions. Do you think they are a perfectly valid way of getting long hair or do you think they are cheating in someway. I don't want to offend any people with extensions, I'm just curious to see what other long haired people think. For instance, has anyone ever asked you if your hair is real?

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 1:19pm

Nope. I've never been asked that before.  (Strangely enough!) because most East Asians don't have braid-wavy hair.

I think one of the big issues with extensions is that they're hard to care for. It's like caring for two different hair types, if you have some of your own hair, plus another person's hair (assuming it's human hair they're putting in).

So...my salute goes to people who put the money, time and effort to extensions but they're not for me personally.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 2:14pm
I don't think badly of anyone with extensions.  I kind of envy them because they can have the hair they want NOW and get it super long without having to wait for it to grow.  I don't want to pay hundreds or more for extensions though, and I also heard they either sew them in or glue them in, which damages your real hair.  So for me, wanting to grow my own hair long, that just isn't an option.  If I thought I could get something cheap that was hair safe, looked good, and gave me super long hair now, I'd do it, and stop doing it when my own hair got long.  I don't think that's the way it works though.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 2:14pm

Basically, its a cheat, but it's kind of cool too.

I like to pop over to the extensions forums to see what some people come up with styles.  And some of them do amazingly naturalistic looking styles - seemlessly blending real hair with the add-ons.  I am impressed by these stylists' talents.

But its disappointing to, say when you see some person, possibly an actress or model with this fabulous hair and you think, 'wow!'  Then you find out that they are extensions and it suddenly becomes 'meh'.

There is something slightly exotic about naturally longer hair.  I suppose it is because the rarity.  Do any of us think that Anna Kournakova would have been nearly the beauty sensation she turned into if it came out that her amazing mane of hair was nothig but extensions?

There is not a dominating short hair trend right now (like what was seen in the early 1950s) or anything,  but not a whole lot of people cultivate lush hair.  It gets perms, chopped, styled, damaged, subject to the winds of style, and hair stylists rarely let hair get longer than BSL. 

What surprises me the most over the extension phenomena is not that they are popular, but that so many people get them for ordinary looking hair styles and more surprisingly, ordinary lengths.  I could see someone paying $2000 to get that Kim Basinger, thick, waist-length blond mane she used to sport.  That kind of hair IS understandably difficult and time-consuming to achieve naturally.  And many of us have slow-growing hair.  My own hair is to my waist in the back, but it has taken a number of YEARS to get there for me.  Not a lot of people have that kind of patience.

But to get a moderate langth of just below the shoulders - something fairly easy to achive seems a bit needless.

I do think the extensions trend is here to stay. 

Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 6:55pm

I am a wearer of extensions.And it is nice to be able to get the length you want without waiting.Its anything but easy.Most human hair is either really expensive or crap once it gets to the buyer.The reason you see so many people wearing such basic styles is because usually the person has really thin hair and wants more volume,or just basically got gyped in the hair department.I myself wear extensions because my hair grows really slow.

Tyranna you are absolutely right about people not having the patience to grow their hair that long.I get bored easily with my hair and like the versatility of extensions.I can have a cute bob one day,or lush waist length hair another.It is cheating in a way.But its just another way for me personally to feel more beautiful.Its no different than painting your nails, or wearing makeup imho.

Good topic

LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 11:00am
wow, it's great to hear all your opinions about it. I think you're right though Tyranna, if we found out that some of the longer haired celebs hadn't really got their hair like that and were just wearing extensions, you'd feel kind of cheated wouldn't you? Never thought of them like nail varnish before but I suppose you're right...

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 9:26pm
Well I personally wouldn't get extensions (too expensive and I don't want the hassle of caring for them), but I am a HUGE fan of hairpieces.  I have so many!!  I just pop them in and get to have a nice long ponytail for the day, or a cute straight short pony.  They are fun and somewhat of a hobby for me

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 5:06pm
Can extended hair go into updos without visible attachment lines?
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 5:24pm

Yeah, you can put your hair up with them but its not easy.Plus it depends on what kind you have.Those pony hairpeices are perfect for updos.Its fast and eays.But no its definitely not the same as the real thing.And extensions can never look as good as my real hair.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic