Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to grow it out...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
baker46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baker46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to grow it out...
    Posted: October 21 2005 at 9:05pm

I've had short hair for a very long time and I'm bored with it. I had a hair cut the first part of August and haven't had it touched since because I'd like to grow it out some. I don't think I want "long" hair....maybe shoulder length. I have straight, fine hair. My question is....what do you do with the "in between" stages?? Do I just grin and bear it....and not look in the mirror too much (LOL)? Do I get it "trimmed" every so often to even it out (it's been cut in layers) or do I just leave it alone? I don't understand how the stars, e.g. Marg Helgenberger, has short hair one season and the next she has much longer hair. Maybe they use extensions.  Anyway, it's been a long time since I grew my hair out because when it gets to a certain point I can't stand it and then I go get it cut again. My hair grows about 1/2" - 3/4" per month.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 11:11am
Trimming is entirely personal preference but if you trim it too often, you'll cut of all your new growth. You can trim the bottom layers  only if you want to get rid of your layers  but if you want to keep them, just leave your hair alone and pin it up when it's at an inbetweeny stage. Good luck!

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
lucky957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2005 at 9:08am
i know what you mean, i'm trying to grow my hair out at the moment and it's at that stage were i can't really do anything with it. I really don't want to cut it so i think that for the time being i'm just going to have to grin and bear it.    Gook luck with you hair though.
Be true to wat u do and keep ur game up!
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2005 at 9:47am
ahhh, but what do u count as an inbetweeny stage where you can't do anything with it? My hair is fairly long and I still can't do much with it...

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2005 at 11:51am
Originally posted by LadyFrog LadyFrog wrote:

My hair is fairly long and I still can't do much with it...

Ohmygosh, the horrors.... you're limited to just a wide variety of ponytail, pigtail, braid, and bun styles... in addition to loose.  How many days are there in a month?     

Edited by DaveDecker
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2005 at 12:19pm
yeah well...

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Pampinetta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pampinetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2005 at 4:06pm
LadyFrog, I agree with you. It's hard doing things with your hair when it's too long, at least I thought so. Many times I couldn't get all my hair to stay in place without using loads and loads of hairclips as my hair was too heavy and too much. Sure it's easy with plaits and ponytails, but it was still hard too handle. But then again, I've never had much patience...
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2005 at 6:23pm
Hi LadyFrog,

Okay, more seriously... I guess it depends on what you want to do with your hair.  Enlighten us please?  

LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 9:41am
well, I can do the standard pony tail and single plait. I can even bun it at long last !  But I'd like to be able to do more updos. It's not that it's particularly difficult hair, it's just fairly heavy and I'm not particularly good at updos so...i can only do the bun with the aid of a special snappy bun hairagami thing

Sorry for making this go off topic baker46

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 12:50pm

LadyFrog,

With your rather lengthy hair, you can try a number of different hair styles including:

ponytails and variations like the topsy tail style.

three-strand braids (both english and dutch - if memory serves, english is braiding the strands over one another while dutch is braiding under.)

buns

fancy buns like the Gibson Girl look for example.

french braiding

french braiding with a dutch style - you french braid your hair, but instead of going over with the strands, go under.

french twists

chignons

spiral twists (or spiral braiding - it is very easy to do).  Spiral rope twists and be achieved by using two or three strands.  For a two strand - you put your hair into a pony tail.  Split it into two strands.  Take the right one and cross it over the left then twist it (the original right) RIGHT two ir three times.  Now repeat the process with the other strand.  Basically you cross a strand over and twist it in the opposite direction, and repeat with the next.  If you do it correctly you will have a spiral rope of hair.  If incorrectly (a common error is to twist the strands in the same direction that they cross over) you will end up with merely one twisted length of hair.   

french braiding using a spiral twist instead (errr not that easy to do)

upside-down french braiding (this is where you hang your head down and french braid from the base of your neck upwards - then you tuck it in at the top for a nice up-do.

Herring bone weaves - well, I have tried this, but my hair never stays up in it.  This is where you corss strands over on another again and again.  This can be done to the entire head or to pony tails (I think the character Legolas from the LOTR films wore a herring bone weave in his pony tail.)

Note - get a book to teach youself how to french braid and it is best to find one that actually shows you how to do it yourself rather than having a second person do it.  Once you practice (not looking in a mirror btw) the hand positions are quite easy to learn and the process becomes easy to achieve.

Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 12:52pm
To the original post, I hate that awkward go-out stage myself baker46.  Maybe you could utilize mini clips or barrettes to come up with a few cute hairdos to hold yourself over?
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 3:26pm
thanks for the ideas Tyranna! also baker46, how about having a look at the short hair forum-they'll probably have more ideas on your length hair

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic