Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stress and it’s effects

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Credence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Credence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stress and it’s effects
    Posted: October 22 2005 at 2:45am

Hi all, I was just wondering if someone could confirm a few things for me regarding stress. I live a stress free lifestyle but every so often, mostly regarding the mortage payments, I do get quite stressed out, sometimes to the point when my chest feels tight and hurts a little. I had a day like this recently and noticed more hair than normal falling out in my brush the day after but I had not washed my hair properly(I live in a area with high water restrictions)also so I was worried/confused if the stress had caused this shedding or if it was just loose/old hairs that had already been dislodged. Would one day of stress cause a lot more hair to fall out so soon afterwards or would you have to suffer from a longer period of stress to see any effects on your hair? Since this stress I have also been continuing my health regime(lots of exercise, healthy food, B vitamins,lots of sleep, relaxation classes)because I knew that if I slackened of as a result of this stress then that would contribute to hair loss.If anyone could please help me with any information regarding stress, first hand experiences dealing with stress etc it would be most appreciated.Many thanks for reading this message(sorry for it being so long winded),many thanks for any help and take care.

Regards

Sean

Pauly_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 4:41am
My hair has started to thin due to stress, thanks to a health problem that hasnt been diagonised for about 11 months.
I have started to use nioxin, but yet its still early days.
But if i was you, i would keep up with the exercise and try not to stress ...
ancientlocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancientlocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 10:02am

Dear Credence,

I lose hair whenever life is stressful.  It really shows because of the length.  What I notice is that stress changes the habits that keep me healthy in the first place, and doesn't hair give a warning when we need to stop and smell the roses rather than hack at the verge?  Sometimes feeling stress is the sign that the health or healthy habits have changed, which makes coping with life more difficult.  Sit down and do a systems check.  What's new or different in any part of life?  Why did it change?  If it seems like there's a health problem at the core of it, choose the professional that can help.  Nutrition and rest are the first to go in my stress times, and we all know what that does to the tresses!  Keep supportive people in close range, hope all's well soon for you.  Ancient Locks

Credence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Credence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2005 at 2:51am

Hey Pauly_P and Ancientlock, thanks for being understanding and for your helpful advice. In regards to what causes stress with myself, it is usually stuff like the mortage payments or diet related, but I have improved my diet in the last couple of months and it is making a great improvement on my health for sure. I am also doing Qi Gong(Chinese relaxation exercises) and that is great for stress management as well, I highly recommend it.Anyway thanks again guys and take care.

Regards from Oz

Sean

P.S. You have lovely hair Ancientlocks, you should be very proud of your beautiful locks. It looks very healthy. I will post a picture of mine soon to(similar to yours but mousey brown). All my friends call me Legolas or Elf!. Thanks again and take care.

ancientlocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancientlocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 3:16pm
Dear Credence, Thanks for the complement!  I wanted to add to check your water hardness.  I just moved and the lyme in the H2O here really makes hair crispy and brittle.  Keeping the hot water tank drained off the bottom frequently and ACV rinses help a lot.  Take care! A.L.
sxystyles3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sxystyles3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 8:27pm
My hair is coming out by the combfull lately! I can't really get rid of the stress...'cause if I dropped out of college I'd just have the new stress of not knowing what to do with my life! My pharmacist sold me a stress formula vitamin to switch too. It's helped a little but the hair is still shedding severlly. I've always had very thick hair and now I'm afraid I'll be bald like my mother whose hair fell out due to stress when she was about 10 years older then me and hers never grew back! I'm thinking about buying some Nioxin this weekend...and other helpful hints?
Ava25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ava25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 2:47pm
Oh my Gosh you're NOT alone, I'm a 25 year old female and I lost my hair from stress about a year ago and my stress has recently come back to haunt me and my hair that had grown back is falling out down the drain, when I brush my hair and if I run my fingers through it, tons of strands come out.  I've become very depressed from all this and it's so hard because you want to control how you're feeling (i tend to get tension all up and down my back and at the base of my neck) and you can't control how you're feeling sometimes the feelings overtake your body.   People tell you, "just stop worrying" but that's like telling someone with anorexia to "just eat!"  I don't understand why its so hard to do something so simpe as relaxing and NOT stressing.  It's like you wish you could just take a relaxing pill but most relaxing pills just put you to sleep and it never really solves the problem completely.  I have tried Nioxin  vitamins and I eat tons of high protein low fat meats.  Lots of nuts, fruits and veggies!!!!  The only way to stop the hair loss is to STOP stressing yourself out but that's easier said then done.  Try praying, yoga, meditation (deep breathing), KEEP YOUR MIND BUSY!!!  DONT DROP OUT OF COLLEGE!!!  I just graduated from college and I'm stressed out because I don't know what I want to do with myself in this world.  Everything will be okay though!!!  Good luck to you and God Bless! :)  Don't worry I'm sure your hair will grow back if you give your body the proper nutrition and rest!!!!! 
Let go and let God!
Ava25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ava25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 2:49pm

I forgot to mention that the Nioxin is a pretty good product, it definately helped me!

Let go and let God!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic