Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if I never trimmed???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if I never trimmed???
    Posted: November 09 2005 at 11:26pm

I just measured my growth for the first time last month. I measured it on the 10th of last month, and then again today (the 10th) and the difference is 3/4 of an inch.  I am now at just under 20 inches.  I'm pretty pleased about that actually   I always suspected that my hair grows pretty fast, but it's been an interesting experiment and one that I will keep doing (love statistics!).  

Anyway, I am trying to predict how long my hair will get by next Christmas.  That's a little over 12 months away, so based on last month's growth it will be just over 9 inches longer.  My hair would then be past my bra strap. That would be just fine with me and I'd consider that to be "long hair"   So.....my point/question is (and there IS one!), I would be at this length next year only if I did not trim it at all.  I'm assuming this would not be good, as everyone on here talks about trims and I figured that they are necessary.  I did plan on doing my own trims (sworn off hairdressers!), but then I was thinking today, what would happen if I just didn't trim at all?  I know my ends would look thin and wispy after a while, but besides the cosmetic appearance of them....would it do any harm?  I wear my hair up ALL the time now and I have not been able to see any split hairs at all (unless I am just not skilled/experienced enough to be able to spot them!) and maybe it's harder to see them in curly hair?  I have been taking EXCELLENT care of my hair, so it's ultra healthy right now.

How regularly do you all trim? What's the longest you've gone without a trim? What's the most growth you've gained in one year?  Do you think it's a BAD idea not to trim? Why?

Sorry so long and so many questions....

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 4:47am
If you're not doing anything to damage your hair, you probably could go a year. I used to go for long periods of time without having trims when I straightened my hair every day and there was very little damage so you should be okay.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 7:02am
I think it depends on what your hair type is, and certainly your updos and careful treatment will help a lot.  I went for a year without a trim, but I also dyed my hair 2 or 3 times that year with permanent dye, and wore it down every day, not being very careful about how I brushed it.  The result of all of that for me was a trim almost up to my shoulders because it was terribly thin and split.  I'd just keep an eye on it, try not to trim it, then if you see it starts to look like it needs it, you can update your decision later.  A rare trim of 3mm. (1/8 inch) at a time so you're removing the very ends also can help a great deal without losing noticeable length.  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DulcieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DulcieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 9:16am

Hi Missrini

I love the colour of your hair, is it natural? If not....could I ask you what colour and brand you use.....its just beautiful. Thanks

laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 10:42am
Missrini your hair is a great color red is real nice and it will look unbelievable at a longer length,  keep up the good work.  How long do you want it?
1b-M-ii type, 29.5 inches long as of 07/11/06, goal for now waist
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 12:35pm

I'd try a micro-trim here and there to clean up split ends.  Split ends can run up the length of hair if not checked.  Keep and eye on your hair to ensure that it doesn't start getting that fuzzy damaged look on the ends.

Not sure how often I trim - it is never on a fixed schedule.  I just watch my hair till I think it looks like it needs a trim.  The last one I took over an inch off - unusual for me.   I usually have split ends anyways, but I have a lot less than I used to.

BTW - in the US, there is a protestant offshoot church that prohibits women from ever cutting their hair. 

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 3:19pm

That would be the Hutterite faith. I'm not sure about other offshoots or classifications of Anabaptists though.

Missrini, microtrims help GREATLY even if you're not doing a full-fledged trim. I went through last year doing microtrims only, and search&destroy missions, but no big trims. This year I did a 1cm trim to "thicken up" the hemline. Without trims, my hair got really tangly at the ends. I agree with Susan that it really depends on your hair type. If you plan on wearing your hair mostly in updos, then not trimming won't be much of a problem. However since curly hair is soooo pretty when worn loose,  I think you should at least do microtrims so you can wear it down a lot.

aaaand take pictures

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 8:27pm

Dulcie and Thelaststarfighter: Thank you     I use Henna on my hair, that gives me a fantastic red that I could never get from any chemical colour.  Actually, henna is the main reason I have decided to grow my hair. I would not have been able to keep using chemicals on it if I wanted it long before, but henna gives me a way to have the best of both worlds   It has also sparked my interest in traditional Indian haircare and I'm having fun with herbs and oils on my hair.  My goal is waistlength.  I'm pretty sure I don't want it any longer than that.

Tyranna, that is so weird that you were just mentioning about that religion.....I happened across a site the other day which had MUCH information about how hair is a gift from God and you should never cut it for that reason.  It went on about lots of other philiosophies.  It was not Hutterite, it was Sikhism.  The link is here  Btw, it's not something I believe in....I just like to read about other religions, so I'm not pushing anything here!

Anais, I will take lots of pics....my husband is a professional photographer so it shouldn't be a problem! hehe  It's just that my hair seems like it has grown so much and it is noticeable to me when doing upstyles, washing my hair etc.....but because it is curly, you can't really tell the length change in photos.   I will do some pics in a couple of months though, because I figure it will be long enough to see by then (surely?!)    As for microtrims, do you do them yourself?  Do you just follow that trimming method (from your website), but cut less off??

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 10:40am
Another thought to consider is that since your hair is wavy/curly, the difference in the growth rate of individual strands will be essentially unnoticeable, as opposed to those with straight hair, whose ends might start to look "fuzzy" and uneven after some months without a trim.  You could go the entire time without trimming the ends and it would look just fine.

If you do trim, the occasional micro-trim (1/8") suggested by Susan should be sufficient.  And definitely S&D for split-ends, whenever you have time & the inclination to do so.

Happy growing and as Anais says, we wanna see pics of your progress.
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2005 at 6:14am
haven't cut my hair since early last august.

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic