Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ruining and Recovering Hair - My Story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Blondie1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruining and Recovering Hair - My Story
    Posted: January 01 2006 at 11:17pm
I'm really glad to hear that you found a way to fix your hair and look great while you are growing it out~ I can certainly understand the frustration of having to wait while you 'grow hair out'. 
sydCarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sydCarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 9:29am

Gahh, I need to fix my hair somehow.

It's terrible, look for my other thread on "Im going to shave my head" in this section - I really need help.

I'm glad you fixed yours though!!

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 7:59am
Congratulations on fixing your hair, its nice to hear stories with happy endings!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
MrsZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2005 at 1:36pm

I wanted to share how I ruined my hair and how I am slowly recovering it. I also want to thank this forum, since I have been lurking for sometime and the tips I got from here - really worked. I hope my story helps someone.

I am a natural medium to dark blonde, I say medium because it gets lighter in the summer, with fine thin hair and for years I had got full head highlights and good cuts from a salons and was able to sport shoulder length hair with relative body and a good amount of shine.

That was until I became unemployed and decided I could do it myself. BIG MISTAKE.

I decided that since Sun-In had worked so well for me as a teenager, it would be a quick and inexpensive way to maintain my blonde look. After using Sun-In for several months, my hair became horribly damaged and I had to cut most of it off. I went from shoulder length hair with no bangs - to hair I could barely put into a pony tail.

I decided to stop using the Sun-In and to purchase clip on pony tails and wrap around hair, darken my hair to its natural color or close to it and I vowed to wash my hair only twice a week and condition it regulary.

What was hard was to find these kind of wigs that were high quality and in natural colors and colors that I could match well enough to my natural hair and/or with the aid of OTC coloring products. I eventually found Hair-U-Wear wigs which are rather expensive but they are great.

After buying several of these, I was then left with task to darken my hair and to darken it to match the wigs. This took a lot of trial and error. I tried several Nice-n-Easy dyes which just didn't work. I then tried a Loreal Excellence color that brought out the red/orange pigment in my hair. Also, the color wasn't going on evenly - because my hair had become so porous. I was very distraught and I was fearful that all my experimentation was going to further ruin my hair.

After reading this board ALOT - I figured it out. I went to Sally Beauty supply and bought: a package of color fix, a bottle of protein filler and then bought Nice-N-Easy in Medium Neutral blonde. The medium neutral blonde was lighter than the wigs and my hair, but all that I read told me that after removing the color, I needed to use a dye that was a shade or two lighter.

It worked. I used the color fix, than applied the protein filler and then applied the Nice-N-Easy. It came out perfect.

Now for the recovery. I wash my hair only once a week now with a gentle shampoo for color treated hair. Everyday I rinse it, and lightly condition it. As far as styling I gently towel dry it and pull it back into a pony tail and then I clip on a pony tail or a wrap around wig.

My hair has now grown a few inches and it will take another year before it will be long enough to get a good hair cut - but the wigs make it look like I have great hair and the low mainentance allows me give my hair the rest it needs.

For anyone who is in the situation I am and was in - I hope this helps. And I want to thank all of the people on this forum becasue it was reading your tips that taught me how to fix my hair.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic