Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A little advice plz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TwinkletOes23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A little advice plz
    Posted: November 15 2005 at 12:36pm
Ok my stylist says that using products that you see not on the ethnic hair care line is a big no no because those shampoos and conditioners dry your hair out......shes against suave (any kind),Pantene relaxed and natural (because she says it contains alcohol that dries out relaxed hair) simply stated she says any shampoo company that doesnt maek relaxers wouldnt know what kind of after care relaxed hair needs. I have browsed the ethnic hair care section of my local drug store and the only difference i see in shampoos for "our" hair and other shampoos for so called "white" hair is that black hair care products have a lot of mineral oil and petroleum that our hair doesnt need because it clogs up the follicles.so can you guys tell me is my stylist right? can you suggest a shampoo that wont dry my type 4b hair out?
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 2:06pm
It depends I am very wary of using "white" shampoos because I have had some bad experiences but I wouldn't say that of all of them. Now with that said I do hate Pantene (coats your hair) and suave (no words). I do feel that some of their conditioners can still be nourshing to our hair but I tend to find their shampoos very drying. I recently fell in and out of love with Queene Helene's Placenta shampoo for different reason but I am going to check on the ingredients in their Mint Julep shampoo.
Hair album
pw:Romeo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 2:10pm
what about thermasilk or dove
Yolligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yolligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 4:38pm

I only use Cream of Nature (green label) shampoo, but I use suave naturals conditioner when I co-wash and they do not leave my hair dry at all. The best advice is to check the ingrediants and try it for your hair, afterall everything doesn't work for everybody.

Life is a journey, Enjoy the ride.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 4:48pm
what ingredients should i watch out for
Yolligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yolligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2005 at 9:26am

Twinklet,

You should watch out for: mineral oil, petroleum, alcohol(Isopropl), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate(SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate(SLES), Polyethylene and Polpyen Glycols and there are others go to

http://www.lindachae.com/ingredients_to_avoid.htm

It list these ingrediants and the dangers of use of them.  Many dry your hair and some can cause skin irritation.  I loaned someone my book with more information.  HTH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2005 at 11:46am
Yolli girl any shampoo brands with out these ingredients that you suggest i hear good things about infusium 23
Yolligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yolligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2005 at 1:38pm

I only use cream of nature so I don't know about infusium, i know a lot of people use it.  You may want to try burt bees, aubrey organics  and oyin homemade these I know don't contain any of those ingrediants.

check these sites.

www.oyinhandmade.com

www.aubrey-organics.com

HTH I dont know where you find Bert Bee's shampoo.

Edited by Yolligirl

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 12:41pm
I did not like thermasilk's products and I don't like Dove's soap so I am wary of their hair line though I have heard ppl say they like Dove's conditioner. I agree it is really trial and error I too am looking for another good shampoo. Motions is good but I want to alternate with something else. I am looking into getting Aubrey's shampoo so I will post my results

Originally posted by TwinkletOes23 TwinkletOes23 wrote:

what about thermasilk or dove
Hair album

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 12:43pm
Here is burt bees link you can find their stuff in any pharmacy. I used their shampoo bars on my phoney ponies and it was very conditioning.

http://www.burtsbees.com

Edited by blackhoney112
Hair album
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic