Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thinning spot on back of head HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Healthy Stealth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healthy Stealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinning spot on back of head HELP!
    Posted: November 27 2005 at 8:06pm

Today I was told I had a bald spot on the back of my head. I have
always had a great head of hair. I'm 45, and this is more like
thinning.

I went to the dermatologist last year about it and he said it was
thinning. He prescribed propecia for it. He said the propecia will stop
the thinning and MIGHT bring back some hair, but I would have to keep
taking it. Believe it or not, I never took the drug and it might almost
have reached its experation date.

I really want this thinning spot to fill in on the back of my head.
WHAT SHOULD I DO!?

Thanks for your help.
IS there help for me?

One more thing.
Lots of times I can feel the thinning area when I am laying in bed. It
drives me crazy!

I want this thinning spot on the back of my head to fill in.
What should I do?
Thanks again.
Peace

disco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 9:24pm

Take the propecia.  I don't see why people are so afraid to take medication.  If you experience the side effects and they do not dissipate with continued use (more than a few months) then quit the propecia and try rogaine.  The sooner you do something about your hair loss the better.  Take action.  If your unhappy now you'll be worse off if you do nothing at all to treat your hair loss.  You could choose to let it go but it's a difficult road to take and it will be something you struggle with.

As you know, losing your hair is very difficult and it took me a number of years to accept it.  I fought it for years with rogaine and one day I was tired of fighting it.  I grew tired of it and stopped fighting it.  I had accepted it.  Although recently I have been through a stressful time in my life that brought on depression.  Next thing I know I was feeling horrible about myself and the hair loss that I had been so accepting of was suddenly a problem to me again.  And here I am.  On a website, giving advice, about something I use to not care about.  My advice is to do something about your hair loss now.  Maybe see a dermatologist again.

I wouldn't recommend a hair transplant though.  Look at some horror stories about hair transplants and you'll know why I wouldn't recommend one.

Healthy Stealth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healthy Stealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 8:40am
Thanks for the feedback.
It's not that ad as I can tell. Well, mabye I am in denial.  It might be worse. I'm too afraid to look.
Does Rogaine work? I started but didn't follow through.
Does Propecia grow back hair? I feel a little wired on it.
disco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 7:40pm

Yeah, rogaine works.  That's what I used to use before I grew tired of fighting my hair loss.  Everyone responds differently to any available treatment.  While using rogaine, I was never quite sure how well it was working.  The directions say you should get results in 2-4 months.  In that time frame I really didn't notice much progress.  I really didn't notice a big difference until many months later.  I probably used it for a year before my family started commenting that they saw it was working.  My thinning definitely stopped and I had some regrowth at the crown of my head.  The regrowth wasn't thick coverage like I had before I started losing my hair but it was enough that I was satisfied to keep using it.  It made me shed hair like crazy.  I've recently found out that the shedding is part of the process of it working.  After years of using rogaine, when I stopped using it, my hair stopped shedding.  I lost a lot of hair over the course of a few months.  I didn't care because I gave it a fight and I was tired of it.  So give it a fight and you'll know you've done all you could for as long as you want to. 

A side effect of rogaine is going to be dry scalp.  I used to just deal with it but I have recently read that it's recommended to use Nizoral A-D (anti-dandruff) shampoo in 1% strength.  That shampoo is also thought to block dht from killing off your hair follicles.  I've bought Nizoral A-D recently and it WILL clear up any dandruff/itchy/oily scalp you may have, almost immediately.

I never used propecia before because I didn't want to spend the money.  I've only recently found out that you could have your dermatologist prescribe Proscar which is a 5mg dose of the ingredient in propecia.  Cut the pill in quarters and you've saved a whole bunch of money.  Propecia is about $1.75-$2 a day were Proscar will cost you about $.66 a day.  I've also read that using rogaine and propecia/proscar together gets even greater results than either one on their own.  Like most medications, side effects tend to dissipate with continued use.  If you've given it a try for a few months and the side effects haven't dissipated, ignore the side effects or quit the pill.

The key to all of this is to do something about it as soon as possible.  Dealing with hair loss is hard.  I myself went from being very self-conscious for the first 2-3 years when I wasn't treating it, to feeling better about it for 6 years while treating it, to not giving a sh*t for the last 5 years when I was tired of treating it.  Only recently as a result of my relapse into depression have I become self-conscious again.  It's an unpleasant surprise to me because I thought I had accepted it a long time ago.  Maybe it's going to be a life long roller coaster.  I don't know. I'm only thirty one.  I hope not.  I look forward to accepting it again because letting it get me down is stupid.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic