Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Questions on hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sunduster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunduster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions on hair
    Posted: November 29 2005 at 6:17pm

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum. so bare with me. I'll try to give you a little insight of myself. I'm a mother of four. Also have seven grandchildren. I like sewing, serging, dancing, skating, bingo,walking, cooking, baking, fussing with hair, caring for two little pommeranians, and a hubby.  My residence is Fla. Now my question is does anyone know a quick way to layer the top of my hair. I used to have an aunt that was a hairdresser. She taught me a lot. But when it came to the top of my hair, she did it since I didn't have another hand. I want to wear it in layers off to the right on top. Unfortuneately I can't get it there. sorry going to a hairdresser is out of the question. they haven't done it right yet. My aunt was exceptionally good. Gave me what I wanted every time. So can someone please find it in their heart to help me? Also what is a good cheap hairspray that will hold an updo, with fine hair? Use a more expensive one when I go out. Just don't want an expensive one for daily use.  Everyone around here thinks I'm in my late 40's. Hurray for them. I'll never tell. So I need some help to keep my secret. Someday I will have to reveal. But that someday isn't now.

Sunduster

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 6:37am
Hi, and welcome!  You can cut layers into your hair by holding your hair out and cutting upwards into it so each piece of hair is the same length (for example, each hair is 6 inches long and with them distributed around your head, that makes them look layered and different lengths.  However, you may not want them all exactly the same length, you may want them longer towards the bottom, depending on the style you want).   While the act of doing it is simple, getting it to look right can be a little more difficult.  If you are careful and take your time, and cut less than you want cut so you will have room to fix it just in case, you will probbably be okay, but it is a little risky.  Good luck.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
rgar047 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgar047 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 11:55pm

oh hello! i hope someone can help me. my mum coloured my hair using henna powder she bought from an Indian store 3-4 months ago. She mixed it with tea, milk, and eggs (it took a lot of convincing to get what looked a lot like poo and smelled like it as well massaged on my hair). ANyway, it turned my hair a bit red from my dark brown-black natural colour. I thought it was okay for awhile coz it kinda made my hair shine. BUt now i want to change my hair colour to brown using L'oreal Feria Color Booster (specific lightening for dark hair), which i bought two days ago, and read that i cant use it because of the henna. Why? I dont understand that bit. I hope someone could explain it.

I havent cut my hair since the henna. What can I do so I can change my hair color? Do I have to wait til i grow out all the hair that has been treated with henna before I can use a permanent colour such as L'oreal Feria?If there's no danger at all since it's been 4 months anyway, please post coz Im itchin to have a go with the product. advice on home colouring is also welcome since im gonna do this for the first time and by myself. Thanks!

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 6:38am
You cannot dye over henna.  Henna puts a coating on your hair, and until that coating is gone, hair dye will not take.  You may get a color change for a day or two,but the dye will completely wash out, even if it is permanant.  I'm no henna expert, but good quality henna is permanant, so you may just have to wait until the colored part grows out before you can do anything to it.

Be careful when you do start dying your hair with that Feria.  Feria is the most difficult hair dye to remove if you wind up not liking it.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Sunduster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunduster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 10:59am

Hi susan. Thanx kiddo, that layering technique worked great. Did it this morning. So easy. I just knew there had to be a way. My aunt never spent much time on mine, and it looked marvelous. I can remember her taking a big U out of the back , and my sides.This was when my hair was below my shoulders. A few more cuts like this, and she was finished. Hard to explain. But she knew some techniques others didn't. She said all hairdressers are not trained a like. Depends on where your from. You guys would love your cuts when she finished. She taught me how to cut my families hair on a manaquin she had. In fact she had seven. This one was mine to practice on. But never layered the top, and never did any cutting in. should have, just never thought about it. Due to what she taught me, I'm able to cut my two baby pommeranians hair. I use the same concepts. Don't ever be affraid of attempting to cut your own hair. This is what my aunt said, at the completion of my training. You can always reserect it. Just wish I had learned a few more cuts. No just the basics.

Sunduster

rgar047 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgar047 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 4:24am

Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

You cannot dye over henna.  Henna puts a coating on your hair, and until that coating is gone, hair dye will not take.  You may get a color change for a day or two,but the dye will completely wash out, even if it is permanant.  I'm no henna expert, but good quality henna is permanant, so you may just have to wait until the colored part grows out before you can do anything to it.

Be careful when you do start dying your hair with that Feria.  Feria is the most difficult hair dye to remove if you wind up not liking it.

thanks susan. the Feria dye is still on my bedside table and from your advice, i think its gonna stay there for a really long time. I've always thought hair colouring is easy. from what ive learned from other threads, hundreds of girls have actually had major hair disasters because of dyeing. And it needs extra care to choose the right products and the right colorist to do the job. sigh...and i thought all i had to do was mix all those contents  in the applicator bottle, pour it on my hair and next day my hair will be as pretty as that of the model in the box.

you guys saved my hair and my wallet. id hate to have the color washed out just after two days. thanks again.

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 6:43am

"i thought all i had to do was mix all those contents  in the applicator bottle, pour it on my hair and next day my hair will be as pretty as that of the model in the box. "

Definitely not!  Let me explain why.  You CAN get predictable results, but not often with the boxed colors you buy from the drugstores.  If you read a lot about hair dye, learn the color wheel (most important), and test strand everything, you can have lots of fun coloring your own hair, and save lots of money (you have to buy things at a beauty supply shop where you can see the bases written on the colors though, the boxes at the drug store don't tell you the base, and that's the whole problem....I do not know if you are able to shop in beauty supply stores in New Zealand?  If not, you may still be able to get the products you need online, you'd have to check).

The reason it won't come out like on the box is because the base of the color (which you don't know from boxes) effects how it reacts with the hair color you already have, and for example if you tried to go from medium dark to very light, you'd need some bleaching that the box doesn't provide for, or often even tell you about.

My point is, if you want to do it, go for it, you can usually fix any mistakes you make with more chemicals (we've all done it).  But it may be very hard to fix with Feria, and not over henna as it won't change anything.  Everyone is always welcome to frequent the Hair Color board here anytime you'd like help.

rgar047 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgar047 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 3:39am

geez! a color wheel for the hair?! Im lost. Actually, Im not going for a light color. just LIGHTER but not light. I dont think it suits me. i was just goin for a flash brown color coz im so tired of my black-brownish (reddish when struck by sunlight due to henna) hair. I guess all I have to do now is just wait til I grow out all of my henna red hair then give the feria a try. il go for it, definitely. Maybe in a few more months. i was thinking id try Hairtopia to make my hair's growth rate faster. But shipment here to NZ costs a lot. Grrrrr! So maybe, ill just eat more fruits or shampoo less often. Any tips on how to grow hair faster..naturally? er..does milk help? or more sleep? I must sound really stupid. Ok il stop typing now.

rgar047 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgar047 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 3:48am

oh, dont bother..ive just seen the long hair support forum. il check it right away. thanks!

Sunduster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunduster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2005 at 10:59am

Does anyone know of a cheap hairspray that works in snowy weather? Thank you much.

Sunduster

milly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 1:09pm
hello i am   tryin to get info.. on the best growth treatments avaiilable i  have now noticed in my  late 30"s that there is some slight thinning  round the best  of my  hairline, i was told by several people  that   could be remedy by usin  a sulfer base product maybe  with some retinol added if   i could fine such a product.. i was also told to get some hair vitamins i know of  one  lady that did  use a sulfer base product and saw that she did get  some results in 2 years do any one  havin any personal advice it would be welcome thanks milly...
molly q.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic