Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A question about sodium lauryl sulfate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TwinkletOes23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A question about sodium lauryl sulfate
    Posted: November 29 2005 at 11:36pm
umm what is it,why is it so bad, and how to avoid it because all sha,poos,toothpaste and even body wash has this ingredient in it.
MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 2:49am
Apparently it's too harsh and theirs another reason about it being bad for the skin or your health; I can't remember exactly though, but the shampoo I use contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and another one I've used contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate (slightly milder) and I haven't experienced any problems. You can however really tell a difference when you use Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, which is used in clarifying shampoos, as it really strips the hair. HTH!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 8:08am

Quote : Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate

ummm oops i used some of my buddies physique and it had that as one of the ingredients (hey i was at her house and needed a shower and forgot my shampoo),that explains why my hair felt dry afterwards.anyways how do you avoid such ingredients since they are in everything and why doesnt the FDA step in and make them stop using these ingredients

Edited by TwinkletOes23
princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 9:01am
if you cant full avoid it, make sure its one of the last ingredients listed, and I dont think its in everything
4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 3:37pm

again its very rare to see it listed as one of the last ingredients....if you know of some shampoo that have this listed as one of the last ingredients then plz share

MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 3:50pm
I don't think it will ever be listed near the bottom as this is the active cleansing agent, it's ok to use Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate say once a month followed by a moisturising shampoo to clarify the hair. You can either go for a natural shampoo, but like I said SLS is fine you do actually need something to clean the hair so unless you noticed any problems it will ok to continue use. However if it really bothers you Nexxus Therappe contains Sodium LauRETH Sulfate which is the ideal one and slighlty gentler then the Lauryl version.
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 5:39am
Originally posted by TwinkletOes23 TwinkletOes23 wrote:

again its very rare to see it listed as one of the last ingredients....if you know of some shampoo that have this listed as one of the last ingredients then plz share

I only know of two shampoo's sold in stores that don't have any sulfates in them and they are, Creme of Nature and Neutrogena Triple Moisture.  Many people love them both.  I have used Creme of Nature for years and it is my favorite shampoo.  It detangles my hair really well and I don't even feel like I need to use conditioner afterwards.  I have not tried NTM yet.  There are many other options for sulfate free shampoo's online also but they are more pricey.  I've been using Elucence and I love it. http://www.elucence.com/shampoos.html

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 10:10pm
neutrogena has sulphates. i believe the triple moisture shampoo has sodium trideceth sulphate. its probably gentler than ALS. ive not done any research on it. i stay away from sulphates except when i have to clarify. my clarifying shampoo has sodium myreth sulphate which is very gentle. it strips my hair but its the witch hazel in the product that does it not the myreth sulphate. if i have to shampoo without clarifying, i use burts bees baby bee shampoo bar
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic