Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Acting white?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TwinkletOes23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acting white?
    Posted: December 07 2005 at 9:15pm
ok i know this has nothing to do with hair but will someone please explain to me what is "acting white" i got called this all the time in school because i had a lot of white friends (mainly because the black girls werent nice to me) but i dont get exactly what acting white means
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 9:58pm

In my experience (because I got it too), it usually has to do with the way you talk.  I found out years later that most of the girls who told me I acted white went absolutely nowhere in life.  Go figure.

Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
merisit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merisit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 11:15pm

Most ignorant ppl associate "acting white" with proper english, being studious, following the rules, and having a positive, cheery attitude like a ditsy blonde. 

Now of course this is all stupid b/c behavior does not come in colors.  

And why should possessing all these good qualities be associated with being white, that's demeaning towards blacks!  As if we're not capable!   But anywho.........

I've never been told I "act white", at least not to my face!   But I have heard other people call another an oreo before, sad.

Natural since: Spring 00'
Type: 3c
*~earthangel*~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *~earthangel*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 8:59am

Well I can tell you from experience that it is associated with the way you act (mostly speak).  Also your taste in things such as music and clothing may be different from most other black people.

Im light skinned but i waz reffered to as "white" all through high school simply because I was very "polite", smarter than most kids and very open minded when it came to music.

Dont sweat it though. I always took it as a compliment and was happy that i wasnt as ignorant as those hurling the insults.

My Fotki

[url=http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/24680082][/ur
gossipqueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gossipqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 9:00am

Everyone has their own personality traits. I think when people say your acting white its discrimination against you just because you don’t necessarily fit into a stereotypical ideology of how black people are suppose to act. Everyone is different, not all black people dress, talk and act the same. I think people like this should just be ignored and everyone should go on being themselves.

*~earthangel*~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *~earthangel*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 9:05am
I totally agree with you gossip queen. Well said.
My Fotki

[url=http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/24680082][/ur
gossipqueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gossipqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 9:15am
thanks earthangel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 10:05am

quote : Also your taste in things such as music and clothing may be different from most other black people.

I got flack for this too I listen to pink floyd,alman brothers,and green day and I like shopping at Old navy and these girls said i was acting and dressing white because "black people dont wear old navy(although evertime i see a commercial for it i see a sister sitting right up front advertising the clothes) and "black people arent suppose to like rock music"(my college roomates say this as well) and when i point out rock came from the blues they just give me a blank stare and say some smart a$$ comment about me thinking im white.....i rememeber when flared jeans came out (i grew up in a small town btw) i was the first to get them everyone said they were cute except the black ppl in my town they said they look like soul train pants BUT the next year they were wearing the same pants i had on a yr before go figure

Yolligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yolligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 10:32am
Like everyone said don't sweat it.  I got the same thing 20 years ago because I liked some rock music. Believe me in the end the proper use of the english language, diversity and your own unique since of style will benefit you in the end. It's just haters and you just shake them off.
Life is a journey, Enjoy the ride.

merisit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merisit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 1:09pm

*Shake, Shake,Shake, Shake, Shake it off!*

*I just got it Shake if off!!!*

LOL.

Natural since: Spring 00'
Type: 3c
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 1:23pm

I have been told this before...1) because of the school i went too 2) because of the way i say certain words 2) the music I listen to.

My response is always, "Black/brown is a color not an attitude...it does not determine the way I should behave."

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 1:39pm
I know exactly what you guys mean. My boss actually asked my why I don't talk like I'm black! I told him "Oh, I didn't know skin color had anything to do with accent!" Those people you aren't going to chage because they are so stereotypical. The only people they are hurting are themselves because closedmindedness gets you nowhere and you miss out on alot of good things. I come from the Eastcoast. My mom talks "proper" as do I and my sisters. We are well rounded about alot of things so our interests are very eclectic. Some call it "odd" or "acting white". I call it being myself and doing what comes to me naturally and spiritually!
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
WomanlyCharm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WomanlyCharm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 8:38pm
Ignorance like that really pisses me off.  

Twinkle, I was taught to always speak proper english, and I love all kinds of music, rock, pop, the blues...when I was in high school, I was lead singer in a punk band, got straight A's, did drama, and was the so-called "whitest" black girl around!
Others (yep, the sistas and brothas!) were so quick to point out how I was turning my back on my race, and how I thought I was better than them.  It really hurt me.

But you know what? All those who put me down are nowhere.  I'm now a successful journalist/t-v anchorwoman.  Who got the last laugh? 

Go on and do what you do girl, you can only be true to yourself.

The Lord is my light and my salvation...whom shall I fear?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 9:06pm
what channel  what state? Ive goten that i was too good i even got told i hate black people because i liked rock
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 6:25am

Nonsense.  I think that classic rock is great...besides, listening to it will give you a better idea of where a lot of today's song were blatantly ripped from.

That really annoyed me in high school, how if you didn't like rap, "Oh, you must like country and heavy metal."  But looking back, I can see that most of the time it wasn't meant to be rude, but that the people asking me really didn't realize that there were different genres of music out there.  So it was ignorance on top of some meanness.  Oh, well.

Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 8:11am
Ive always had this problem.  Im very smart and I talk with correct english, and I too, like rock music as long as mainstream hip hop, like no doubt.  In 7th grade, I prolly had only like 5 black friends because the other ones said I acted white.  As Ive gotten older Ive come to see that most of them *act whiter* than I do.  If you ask me, I personally think theyre just uncomfortable with themselves, and took it out on me.  Now, Ive more black friends than they do, but most white people I know love me
4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

Luvnaps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvnaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 8:06pm
oh yeah this has happend to me to, i do like country music, when I was in high school and middle school and hanson was popular i liked them too, i still have the T-shirt, my mom would kill me if she heard me talking the way some of these people do. she taught me the right way to speak and i better do it. my sisters are always blaring the nickleback c.d. My little sister came home the other day and said she got teased about haveing a "white" name

i told her that her name was black, and became black the day my mother decided to name her black daughter that name.

people who say someone acts "white" or "black" are usually young and going through a stage, hopefully they grow out of it. its not a big deal
deexox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deexox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 8:42pm
I'm called an oreo at school but when I'm called that, I just laugh. If acting white means getting good grades, reading "white" magazines and so on, then I guess I'm the delicious cookie!
sexyyella316 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyyella316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 8:51pm
don't worry about it. everybody can't act the same you are who you are and you should not care about what people think. You know where you came from so who are they to judge
Arita a.k.a Sexyyella316
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic