Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dry, brittle, split ends, breakage - HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ncgal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dry, brittle, split ends, breakage - HELP
    Posted: December 12 2005 at 9:37am
Hi, Im brand new to this forum.  I shouldve introduced my self in the New Member forum, but I wanted to come here first to ease my mind.  My hair is in trouble!

Last week I got a really great haircut. My stylist thinned my overly thick hair (even after the cut its still kind of thick) & layered it. She also used her high-priced flat iron on my hair & it looked great when she finished.(smooth, shiney, manageable)  I do have gray hair about 25%, so she told me to come back for color & highlights when I had time. 

My stylist told me to acheive the straight look to blow it dry forward & flat iron it.  She recommended I purchase a flat iron from Sally's.   I did just that. I bought a midpriced flat iron (50 bucks) It has porcelain ceramic plates.

The first day I styled my hair. I blew it dry on high heat & put the flat iron on the highest setting because I have coarse, thick hair. I failed to use heat protection the first time. I didnt realize right away, but I think I damaged my hair because the next day, it was so dry & brittle

So I went out & bought Neutrogena Triple Moisture shampoo & conditioner, hoping to reverse the damage, but it didnt work?  I also bought some heat protection to use with the flat iron. 

The second day I did use heat protection prior to passing hair thru the flat iron too. This made my hair look really oily on the surface, but it felt like straw.  I also bought John Frieda Brillant Brunette Satin Shine finishing cream to restore shine to my hair (worked but not 100%) In addition, I also colored my hair to cover the gray with a store brand (Loreal) because I cant afford salon color right now.  This helped restore shine a little bit too.

This morning, I washed & conditioned it, but skipped the blow dryer & flat iron.  I have this cute new style that I cant style now because Ive damaged my hair. 

My hair is sooo dry/brittle & the ends are beginning to split a bunch. It feels like straw?  You can tell the ends are damaged just by looking at it.  Prior to the last few days, it has been at least 2 years since I have styled my hair with any heat?

Questions:
1.  Will I ever be able to use my flat iron again?  I fear I will damage my hair if I use it again.
2.  How can I protect my hair when applying high heat?
3.  Which products should I use to repair my dry hair & help it appear healthy ?
4.  Can I reverse the damage caused?
5.  How long will it take for my hair to return to normal?

Thank you!

Edited by ncgal
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2005 at 10:43am

1. Yes - if you use it on special occasions only (say, once a fortnight) and use a good heat-protective spray before you straighten.  Over here we have an excellent, non-greasy one made by the Lee Stafford brand, but I doubt that it's available in the US; you could look on the Straight Hair board for some suggestions.

2. See above.  Also use a deep conditioning product and / or leave-in conditioner regularly, maybe the wash after you've straightened, if that makes sense!  (I really like the Aussie brand, again, not sure whether that's available in the US).

3. Ask around, but most of all use the ones that work for you: everyone's hair is different.  I've noticed that lots of people on here recommend Jojoba oil for shine and conditioning.

4. I don't think it's possible to reverse damage to your hair (although that's a matter of opinion), but you can certainly make it look better and feel softer by taking good care of it in future, with heat protective and conditioning products.  You can also be really careful when you towel dry (just blot the hair gently, don't muss it up as I think that can cause splits).  Lastly, keep heat-styling to a minimum.  If you're going to straighten your hair, can you cut out the blow-drying on that particular occasion?  You could wash your hair the night before, leave it to air-dry over night and then just use the straightening iron in the morning, thereby reducing the amount of heat to which your hair is exposed.

The thinning might also have changed the texture of your hair; next time you go for a trim, you might want to discuss that with your hairdresser.

Hope this helps.  In response to your 5th question, I'm sure your hair will look and feel just gorgeous after a little TLC.  You can't wreck your hair with one straightening session!  Condition away...

Also a cold water rinse at the end of your wash and an ionic hairdryer are said to increase shine (by smoothing down the cuticle or something like that).

Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2005 at 10:44am
p.s. colouring your hair can also dry it out; be sure to use a gentle brand of dye, preferably with extra conditioners.
ncgal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2005 at 11:53am

trophywife - Thank you for answering my post.  I took your advice & posted this over in Straight talk too.

I appreciate the advice you gave me.  I am going to save the flat iron for special occasions & I agree with you about the new cut may have changed the texture of my hair.  I think she point cut my ends, so now the brittle ends are more noticable. 

I miss my hair when I was in my young 20's...Long, flowing, shiney, always looked great..Those days are over for me I guess

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2005 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by ncgal ncgal wrote:

I miss my hair when I was in my young 20's...Long, flowing, shiney, always looked great..Those days are over for me I guess

First, I'm sad to hear you're not happy with your hair.

But you can have long, flowing, shiny, "always-looking-great" hair again.  Come on over to the Long Hair Support board, and we'll help you.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2005 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by ncgal ncgal wrote:

Questions:
1.  Will I ever be able to use my flat iron again?  I fear I will damage my hair if I use it again.
2.  How can I protect my hair when applying high heat?
3.  Which products should I use to repair my dry hair & help it appear healthy ?
4.  Can I reverse the damage caused?
5.  How long will it take for my hair to return to normal?

Thank you!

1.) Yes, however heat especially high heat will dry out hair strands. You might have the temperature setting too high for your hair type. Try a lower temperature setting.

2.) You need moisturizing products to put that moisture back into the hair strand that the heat processes are drying out. Stay away from products with alcohol in them. Don't use shampoos with Ammonium Lauryl & Laureth Sulfate in them they are very harsh. Look for shampoos for Color Treated Hair they are much more gentle cleansers and better for you at this fragile stage of your hair's condition. Only use shampoos with Sodium Lauryl and Laureth Sulfate in them. Avoid shampoos like Pantene and Thermasilk they are very bad.

3.) The only product I feel comfortable recommending to you is a L'ANZA Deep Conditioning Treatment. It's a 5 step process and is done in salons that carry Goldwell. Click this link http://www.lanza.com/news-pr15.htm It's the best Deep Conditioning Treatment for damaged hair of any kind but you will only be able to get this done at a salon. Use their salon locator to find a salon that can do this for you. It should probably cost $25 or so but it's well worth it.

4.) Damaged hair CANNOT be repaired it can only be made managable by using products to help cope with damaged hair until it grows out and can be cut off.

5.) After the L'ANZA 5 Dtep Deep Conditioning treatment it will be much better but as I said in #4 Damaged Hair CANNOT be repaired.

You need to remember that every chemical service (perm, relaxer, color) is damaging to the hair strands. They pull moisture from the cortex of the hair strand. That moisture needs to be put back into the hair strand by conditioning, etc. Heat is also damaging to the hair strands. On those lazy days where you can let your hair air dry, throw some leave in conditioner in your hair and let it air dry. DO NOT throw your hair in a scrunchee when it's wet to tie it back or braid it while it's wet to get it out of your face. Dry your hair first if you are going to tie it back or braid it. If you don't dry it first when that hair air dries those hair strands expand and breakage can and will occur as that hair expands in the braid or tie back. Condition your hair often and avoid hair coloring for a while and you will notice the condition improve.

As a professional stylist I find it hard to believe that one run thru with a flat iron can damage your hair beyond repair so I am going to assume your hair has been previously damaged or overprocessed from a prior chemical service. In addition to the L'ANZA 5 Step Deep Conditioning Treatment get yourself a small bottle of L'ANZA Magic Bullet 4.2oz Spray Bottle and spray that on the damaged areas of your hair to help smooth the cuticles of the damaged strands. Is your hair snarly or knotty? That happens with overprocessed hair. Just curious...let me know how you make out.

ncgal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 7:17am

Davedecker - Thank you for the encouragement  I am hopeful that my hair dilemma is only temporary!

Claude - Thank you for your post!  I appreciate the advice you gave me.  Last night I conditioned it only & rinsed with cool water & my hair does feel better today, however its not 100%. 

Im beginning to think that my hair texture has changed due to the way she cut my hair.  I wore my hair up in a hair tie for almost 2 years because it is so thick, so the damage may have already been done & now I notice it because of my new cut.  I just couldnt find a stylist who could give me a great managable cut while thinning it enough for me to wear it down, so I wore it up & didnt pay much attention to it.  It gets sooooooo poofy if its not thinned enough!  Anyway, I will try your advice & let you know how it turns out!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 8:43am
Did she thin it with thinning scissors or ordinary ones?  I have heard before that the use of thinning scissors can make hair a bit dryer, although I'm not sure whether that's entirely true.  Anyway, if you're happy with your new haircut then I'm sure you can use conditioning products and take care of your hair so that it doesn't dry out. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic