Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which products to use for heat damage?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ncgal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which products to use for heat damage?
    Posted: December 12 2005 at 11:49am
The ends of my hair look terrible!

Last week I got a really great haircut. My stylist thinned my overly thick hair (even after the cut its still kind of thick) & layered it. She also used her high-priced flat iron on my hair & it looked great when she finished.(smooth, shiney, manageable)  I do have gray hair about 25%, so she told me to come back for color & highlights when I had time. 

I have straight hair to begin with, but since its coarse it poofs, so my stylist told me to acheive the board straight look to blow it dry forward & flat iron it.  She recommended I purchase a flat iron from Sally's.   I did just that. I bought a midpriced flat iron (50 bucks) It has porcelain ceramic plates.

The first day I styled my hair. I blew it dry on high heat & put the flat iron on the highest setting because I have coarse, thick hair. I failed to use heat protection the first time. I didnt realize right away, but I think I think this is when I damaged my hair because the next day, it was so dry & brittle

Ive always like Neutrogena products, so I went out & bought Neutrogena Triple Moisture shampoo & conditioner, hoping to reverse the damage, but it didnt really work?  I also bought Ion heat protection to use with the flat iron. 

The second day I did use heat protection prior to passing hair thru the flat iron too. This made my hair look really oily on the surface, but it felt like straw.  I also bought John Frieda Brillant Brunette Satin Shine finishing cream to restore shine to my hair (worked but not 100%) In addition, I also colored my hair to cover the gray with a store brand (Loreal) because I cant afford salon color right now.  This helped restore shine a little bit too.

This morning, I washed & conditioned it, but skipped the blow dryer & flat iron.  I have this cute new style that I cant style now because Ive damaged my hair. 

My hair is sooo dry/brittle & the ends look terrible. It feels like straw?  You can tell the ends are damaged just by looking at it.  Prior to the last few days, it has been at least 2 years since I have styled my hair with any heat?

Question:
1.  I know only time will repair my hair, but in the meantime, which products should I use to restore my hair & help it appear healthy

Thank you!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2005 at 2:27pm

Hi NCGal, here are some things that will help:

• This is obvious, but stop the heat use.
  • Do not believe anyone or any company that tells you a single product will "fix" your hair.
  • Dilute your shampoo before applying it.
  • Find a shampoo that is gentle (with Sodium Laureth Sulfate)
  • Add a second conditioner (Suave, V05, or White Rain) and use it before using your usual conditioner. For more info on washing routines
  • Use hair-friendly accessories (avoid thin hair-ties, hair ties with bits of metal, or things with sharp edges)
  • Detangle your hair slowly and undo knots with patience.
  • Avoid using a brush.
  • Wear your hair in a braid(s) or bun whenever you can.  

I'm sorry I can't help with much else, and I'm sorry this is kind of like "tough love". The best you can do is prevent more damage. I hope your hair feels better soon.

Have a warm holiday
Anais 

my LJ, 40 inches long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic