Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Hair over 40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Pkj049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pkj049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 4:26pm
Yea, Kimberaly, that is what I'm talking about. Is it really worth having extremely long hair at any age if the ends look ragged? You then have to look inward and examine the motivation for growing it long. I looked back and couldn't even remember why I was. If it makes you happy to grow it to your toes, then go for it!!! I personally want a length that I can wear down without worrying about it getting tangled. Most people who post probably wear their hair up 80-90% of the time. I just couldn't maintain that kind of hairdo secondary to the thickness of my hair.

Kitty, our hair sounds similar. My hairdresser was probably more upset than I was when I indicated where I wanted her to cut. She measured and state, "that's 6 inches you know!!!" I said do it. She tried to question me about it because my hair was in excellent shape, but she finally understood my reason. I could blowdry every wash if I wanted; it's the washing that dries my hair out the most not the dryer. I'm lucky to have such tough, strong hair. Most hairdressers in the past have told me that I will be glad of this hair when I get older. Well, I'm older so let the happiness begin!!!
2bMiii
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 6:10pm
PKJ - I know you've mentioned your hair is six inches shorter but in case I missed it, where does it fall now? Shoulder length? You can still pull it back? I think I would either have to have it super short or long enough to pull back. I don't like it when it's in between, especially on a hot summer day. I wouldn't like it on my neck. You said something earlier about liking the length but probably hating it the first time you have a bad hair day. I feel I've been having a bad hair day for a week! I think it might be the weather. Just trying to hang in there...
Pkj049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pkj049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 6:20pm
No, it is pass my shoulders and about 1/2 way to BSL. I can definitely pull it back and twist it up if I want. Most importantly, I finally got it close to one length. That is one goal I can remember having when growing it out. I had to have layers at first because of the thickness, but I have been waiting for the layer that use to be my bangs I guess to get long enough. The best part is that I can't feel it pulling as much being shorter now.
2bMiii
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 5:38am

That seems to be a nice manageable length for me also but I'm going to go a little further this time. I had bangs all my life and finally grew them out two years ago so my hair is all one length. I've always had hairstylists try to talk me into getting layers. I've tried really long layers and I've just always thought my hair looked crappy with them. Maybe it would look okay if I curled and styled it but I don't want to get into that. I must say I miss my bangs. I just think they make me look a little softer. But I have a very short forehead so I probably look better without them. Also...I always had to curl my bangs. My hair is wavy/curly but my bangs were stick straight. Without bangs, I don't have to do anything...if our electric went out, I wouldn't have to panic like so many women do!!!! Just put my hair up and go! That's a nice feeling.

Your hair was really long if it's still between your shoulders and BSL after getting six inches cut off. I had a hairstylist once that was very encouraging to me to grow my hair out. She would have been sad for me to cut off much length too. I probably wouldn't have had the patience to grow it so long at the time without her. Those stylists are hard to come by though. Most want to "get that weight off and open up your face"!!!!!

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 7:03am
Kitty Kat:  Don't let a short forehead dissuade you from bangs if you really want them.  My forehead is not that short, but short enough that someone once told me I wouldn't look good with bangs.  All you have to do is cut enough bangs so that the line where they start is further back on your head (where any normal bangs look like they start), then no one can even tell what your forehead looks like.  I tend to overdo it the first time because mine part and don't cover my forehead the first 3 days, so you kind of have to be careful at first.  Of course if you have to mess with them in the morning, I could see why you wouldn't like them, I just leave mine flat. 

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Pkj049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pkj049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 9:46am
Kat, your bangs probably act that way because of the lack of bulk compared to the rest of your hair. That was why I desired to get to one length. I thought all those long layers acted too independently, and I wanted a more uniformed look. I always thought people with too long of a forehead needed bangs, but I guess, thinking about it, too short would probably need them as well. I like the look of bangs but definitely not the unkeep. Usually as soon as I cut bangs, I am making a goal to grow them out the next day. Figures, are we ever truly happy with our hair at any age?
2bMiii
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 3:37pm
     This may surprise you, PKJ, but I agree with every last word of your reply to me, even your thought that sloppy or over-processed long hair looks unappealing. And, maybe the "melancholy" was strictly *mine*. (LOL)
     The only divergence of opinion that we may have, gleaned from your writings, is that I almost never think that shorter "long" lengths look *better*. But, I believe that a woman should wear the hair length that she enjoys most, and I find many styles other than *very long* attractive. There does come a point where a trim is desirable for everyone, IMO, but I think that a *little* wildness at one's ends is the proverbial icing on the cake.  But, I am a guy, what would you expect? Big%20smile Blessings, Bob
     P.S. One more thing: The bitter cold weather freezing her ears is what caused DW to start growing from pixie length in 1998. So I suppose that there is at least one good reason to be thankful for wintertime! OK, OK, the scenery is beautiful, too. I love watching it from indoors! Bob LOL

Edited by Bob S - February 09 2007 at 4:19pm
Pkj049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pkj049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 4:33pm
I can certainly understand why the colder weather would cause a person to grow their hair longer. Here in the southeast, we deny winter until the snow/ice is hitting the ground. I definitely left mine down today with the thermometer at 27. You see a southern so denies cold weather that I actually saw someone wearing capri pants with a shortsleeved shirt today (but thankfully no open-toed shoes). Most southerns in this area never wear hats unless going to a sporting event with their team logo on the cap or to rub it in when their team wins.

I wonder if the people living in upper NY state think the scenery is beautiful at what is it now--100 inches!
2bMiii
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 9:38am
Susan,

One of my favorite hairstyles has always been long hair with straight bangs but for some reason, I think I look absolutely awful with straight bangs. So, even though I love them, I keep reminding myself there's no upkeep with no bangs for me!!! I wish they had clip in bangs I could wear whenever I wanted them!!!! I remember reading either here or the long hair forum how to pin up the front of your hair and wear a handband over it to make it look like you had bangs. Apparently I didn't do a very good job...looked pretty bad!!! Yesterday I wore my hair in a really high pony tail and bobby pinned the jagged ends underneath. I got a lot of compliments on it.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Kitty Kat Kitty Kat wrote:

I wish they had clip in bangs I could wear whenever I wanted them!!!!

I think such things are available for sale online.  Any web search should turn up at least several choices.  Also, don't those kiosks at malls (that sell fake hair) have them too?

Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 5:31am
Thanks Dave...I'll have to check that out. I know they have clip in hair and pony tails but I never really thought they might have bangs.
Army Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Army Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

the important thing is that many women *can* be stunning at any age, even at 80 and beyond, *and* long hair can be a big part of one's elegance throughout life. The beauty industry makes millions convincing women that this isn't true. But men know it is propaganda. Oh, my wife is 47 with hip length hair, and she had spikes 9 years ago. (lol) It's never too late!. God bless, Bob

I TOTALLY agree that an older woman with long beautiful hair is GORGEOUS.  Men know it is! 

My grandmother never cut her hair her entire life.  She had thin hair and it never got past her hips but it was beautiful.  As a little girl I used to love to sit and comb it.  She had beautiful tortoise shell combs from Spain. 

I had BSL hair and cut it off into a Pixie.  My husband slept on the couch for two days and wouldn't speak to me.  Sigh.  It is now just 4 inches shy of where it was 2 years ago.  I am going ALL THE WAY now and grow it as long as it is able.  I have had thigh length hair before and am wondering if I can achieve floor length?!!
Lori
1bCiii
hennahead
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2007 at 5:54pm
       Hey Lori! Welcome. Don't feel too badly about your surprise short haircut. I doubt that you cut it to intentionally upset your husband. You sound as if you love him very much. There is no way that most women can understand exactly how much of a turn-on long hair is for many guys. In fact, it is a woman's #1 physical attribute, in the eyes of many guys. BS length hair was probably acceptable or at least bearable for your guy, but short was just too much. Even if he had told you many times how much he loved it long, (and many guys do not), you possibly thought that it's not *that* big a deal. Esp. in an era when all the latest trendy cuts are fawned over by other women in one's family and workplace.
     When my wife went short over a decade ago, it was partly my fault, as I had bought the silly idea that short locks were indeed "approriate" at a certain age, around 35. But when it happened, somewhat suddenly, I was pretty miserable for a few days, b/c I felt that she had some time left before the "inevitable" cut.
     Luckily for me, unlike some guys I know, I do not hate *all* short hairdos. (Two of her brothers practically consider it a sin for a woman to wear any type of short cut. When a woman is out of earshot, one has even got his son exhorting, "Grow some hair!" Ermm) But for me, eventually I accepted the idea that I would have a pixied wife for life. I remember asking her to just keep it in a style that *I* liked.
     To me, there *were* a few nice things about her short hair which I regarded as consolations. For one, each month without cutting created a different look. Thus, after about three months or so, a new haircut really looked fresh. Plus, I had fun rustling my hands through her short nape, which couldn't be messed. So, I managed. Of course, short hair became her, too. But, the lovely long-haired photo of DW stayed in my wallet, and I really loved looking at it. And I'm so thankful every day that she has chosen to grow itall back, longer and prettier than ever. So, best of luck to you, Lori. Bob Big%20smile

Edited by Bob S - April 01 2007 at 7:16pm
Army Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Army Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2007 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

Even if he had told you many times how much he loved it long, (and many guys do not), you possibly thought that it's not *that* big a deal.
Bob,  Thanks for the encouragement.  Indeed you are right.  I was working part-time and had a 1 year old toddler.  I felt like I couldn't handle having to deal with long hair anymore. Not to mention I wanted a change.  I REALLY thought he would like it!! LOL I got home and he just stared at me, shook his head and walked away. 

For a long time I didn't understand.  I kept saying "You're acting like I cut off a LIMB! It *will* grow back!"  He kept saying "You don't understand."  THANKFULLY he never verbalized his feelings or I'd have hit the roof. Angry

Now that it is growing back he loves to play with it again. 

The biggest thing that influenced me to go long again was watching my daughter's hair grow.  She is four and we have never cut the length.  We are growing out the bangs now.  As her hair got longer I kept thinking "Hey, I use to look like that!"  She is such a cutie and has the most gorgeous thick main of hair.  It is simply beautiful!  Dark Brown hair and Sky Blue eyes!  WHAT A COMBO!!  She is a sweetie and such a joy.  Here is a pic of her hair 6 months ago.  Her hair is about 4 inches longer now.
Lori
1bCiii
hennahead
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 11:14am

Hi, Lori,

Your daughter has gorgeous hair!With blue eyes also, I bet she is just beautiful! I bet you and your husband are dreading the upcoming teen years.I know we sure are!  She is very blessed to have a mother who know how to take care of it.Thumbs%20Up I  have seen little girls with long hair that look just horrible because it is not taken care of. What a shame.
 My own daughter who is 6 has hair about a couple inches above the bottom of her shoulder blades. I kept it very short until about 9 months ago, because it was so very thin. It has thickened up some, but still has a little ways to go. I had a baby fine head of hair untill I was 4 and now it is incredibly thick, so I keep telling my husband that there is still hope yet. LOL
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Army Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Army Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2007 at 2:03pm
Alisa,

yeah thick hair in childhood is no guarantee of thick adult hair either.  My MIL had gorgeous thick hair as a child but has terribly thinning hair.  She is not open to discussing it so I don't try recommending options to her.

My sister had thin hair as a child and thick adult hair so you are right...your daughter should take after you!!

Lori
1bCiii
hennahead
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2007 at 5:19pm
My husband is hopeing she will get my hair.He has really fine hair, but a ton of it. I have really course hair that takes sooo much conditioner. For her sake I am hopeing it will be a mixture of both of us.She just wants,"Hair like Rapunzel" as she says.  
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Merle T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merle T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2007 at 10:35pm
I'm 50, and I have long hair brown hair with just a little grey and a beard. It is not a problem. You can wear your hair how you like at any age.
Army Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Army Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 6:59am
I got a really nice complement the other day.  I work with a lot of young soldiers.  They know I have long hair but can't tell how long because it is always in a bun.  Yesterday I was with a few of them including a female soldier.  They asked me how long my hair was and I told them it is 22 inches long and then pointed to where it would fall.

Now mind you my hair is NOT that long!!  But it is longer than any other older women they know.  They all nooded their heads in wonder and one guy said "That's cool!".  LOL
Lori
1bCiii
hennahead
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 2:16pm
     Get used to it, Army Girl! (lol) For every guy who has the nerve to say it, there are hundreds thinking it. Esp. if you live in an area where most "older" women wear "age-appropriate" haircuts. Thankfully, this attitude is SLOWLY going away, contributing to the aesthetic improvement of NE Pa. LOL Blessings, Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic