Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hairbrush gunk(?!)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hairbrush gunk(?!)
    Posted: December 16 2005 at 7:18pm

Hey all-

This has been a problem for me for as long as I can remember.  I get a new hairbrush, use it for a few weeks, clean out the hair regularly, etc.  And after a month or so it's filled with lint, fuzz, and the like.  It never really bothered me before this year when I started using a BBB; I would just take an hour or so and clean out the gunk and that would be it.  But ever since I started using a BBB, it's been a constant uphill battle with the hairbrush gunk.  I shampoo/clarify my brushes at least twice a month (sometimes more) and I comb through the gunk with a fine-toothed comb, but within 24 hours it comes back.  I've had to replace my BBB four times in six months because of this... not only is it disgusting, but it's really inconvenient because the gunk makes it really hard for the bristles to go through my hair!

And I'm just wondering... does this happen to anyone else?  Why does it happen?  Is there any way to stop it? 

Thanks in advance,
Katja

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2005 at 9:46pm

Is it the amount of product that you put in your hair? I think your first order of business would be to eliminate all products that are unnecessary. How many C's do you use?

my LJ, 40 inches long
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2005 at 9:32am
I used to use Nature's Gate "brown" conditioner, which is very waxy and tended to build-up easily.

The best way to remove the excess gunk is to follow-up your "cleansing" routine (whatever that is, be it S&C, C-COW-C, or whatever) with a diluted vinegar rinse.  I use about 1 tbsp distilled white vinegar in 20 oz of purified or distilled water, and mix it in a clean plastic jug.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic