Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

just had a hair cut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: just had a hair cut
    Posted: December 17 2005 at 9:29am
I've just come back from the hairdressers. I asked her to take an inch off and she did. It looks fine and most people won't even be able to tell I've had a cut-it's still a u shape, just the front bits are just above my elbows with the longest bits still being at my waist. It's just...I felt so protective of my hair. I think because this is the first time I've really cared about my hairs length I'm really protective of it and when she started snipping I just felt sad. Ah well. It needed a trim and now I won't have to go again for another year or so. I don't think I could ever have my hair cut short-it just makes me too scared losing some of my length. Even though it was only one inch.

I'm just glad that she's willing to take off an inch.

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2005 at 11:31am
I know what you mean about losing such a small amount of length... it really feels like a lot!  But at least now your ends are healthier and like you said, you won't have to go back for a while.  That's great that you have a stylist who is willing to do what YOU want
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2005 at 11:50am
Wow, LadyFrog, you were so brave.
sarondie11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarondie11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2005 at 3:15pm
i can very much relate! i just had a  1 1/2" trim today and i feel like i've been butchered! i was close to hip length and now i feel  like i'm back at bra strap. i know i'm making it worse in my mind, but i wish hair would grow perfectly so we didn't need trims!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 12:29am

Little trims like that feel GOOD because hair tangles so much less afterwards. I'm glad you had exactly the amount desired taken off.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 7:04am
Yeah, I'm lucky. she's known me for ages and my mum's a regular customer so she only took a bit off. Thanks for being so supportive.
Sarondie11-I know what you feel like-I could touch my hips with my hair before. And I still can actually but it's not a hippy touching. That doesn't make sense. Ah well.

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 2:08pm
I'm glad to hear you got what you asked for, LadyFrog.  It sounds reassuring to know that when you want to go back (in a year, as you say), you'll get what you want then, too.

At the same time, I'm sorry to hear that you feel you got butchered, Sarondie.  How much did you ask to have trimmed?  1.5 inches doesn't sound like a lot (unless you asked for only 1/2" off).  There's a salon I used to go to (twice) that would trim more than I asked for (and it was done by a GM-trained stylist).  But it did look better afterwards and in  a fairly short amount of time, the length "recovered."  I'm sure your hair looks great.
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 2:38pm

A little over a year ago, my ends got thin due to some excessive shedding I experienced over a few months. I eventually had my stylist take off 3" ! It sure felt shorter after the three inches were cut, but it ended up being the right thing to do in the long run.

I know what you mean about being protective of the length

Selin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Selin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2011 at 12:06pm
This is my first time posting. I usually lurk. I thank everyone for the advice they've given here over the years because it has been very useful the first couple of years I started to grow my hair, and my hair grew past my collarbone, and it looked beautiful.

Now, it's just gone. I've been my own stylist for two years since deciding to grow my hair long.

The last time I went to see my stylist she flat ironed my hair with high heat even though I asked her not to and it really damaged my ends.  I was very upset but did painstakingly trimmed off all the ends myself and they were fine.  I swore I would never go back but then I was getting lots of pressure at work to get my hair trimmed up a little bit.

Sigh.....

I decided NOT to go back to the stylist who damaged my ends and asked around for a stylist that was respectfull and would not cut more than 1/2 inch off the ends.

Now, I can't even look in the mirror. I'm so upset. I went in to a place in the mall to just get my split ends trimmed off.

By the time I left a good 6 inches was gone on the sides and in the back.

All of the progress I made the latter half of my first year and second year -- all gone thanks to this one hairstylist.

Now I'm literally left with a choppy bob that I can't even style because my hair is naturally wavy and the waves are just out of control.

I can't even wear my hair wet bunned. 

I feel like this stylist did this on purpose. She told me she had the exact same wavy hair as me and that it used to be BSL for six years.

But she said she cut her hair because she didn't know how to care for her own hair.

I'm just wondering now if anyone else has gone through a tremendous set back like this when trying to grow out your hair? And what did you do to overcome it?
Sparrowhawk1161 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 7:30pm
I am really glad when I here that a woman is committed to her long hair.  It takes a long time to grow and, it might sound trivial, but a snip can ruin it in an instant.  I guess that's why many guys are agast when they see there loved one with short hair.

When I was young, I would see women with long hair, and being a guy with short hair (hating bathes and stuff), I thought they must be in constant torture with all that washing, combing, drying. I cringe even now.  Burrrr. But, I was amazed at how casual girls were about there hair.  Especially when they cut it all off!

What?

Long hair can be put up, down, half up and down, braided, tucked under with a professional look... it can be amazing!

So, now... all you long haired ladies are shaking there heads thinking, "You have no idea how much work we do to keep it this long?"

Hmmm.  Then I say, "Would you keep your long hair if you had your own shampoo guy?"

Girls go hmmm...

I say, "See that guy making that addition to the house.  See how he works with his hands making sure everything is just right?"

"Yes."

"If he can do that, he can do your hair"

"What?"

"If the man can make a house, a fireplace.  Take nice fur rugs with giant lions heads on them to make it nice and cozzy infront of a fireplace so he can get all romantic with you, he should be able to wash your hair!"

Silence....

Men can wash hair.  Make them do yours.  If they him and haw... then cut your hair.  It's only fair.

Now, you will have the most beautiful hair you ever had.

Tips:  Do not hive them hairdryers, and curling irons.  They will be stripping paint with hairdryer... and who knows what they will do with your curling iron.

I shudder to think of the posssibilities....
Guys like me notice!
Sparrowhawk1161 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 7:45pm
I think the best thing to do is:

One: start growing your hair.  As it grows... take off just a little bit of the split ends.  Find a conditioner with plenty of oil and Karatin.  The oil and protein will seal and help to adhere the slip ends.  As more growth comes, just a little more.

Others might not agree, but I would suggest that a friend cut the split ends.  Friends are very frugal when it comes to cutting hair.  They will only go after what can be acceptable.  A little at a time over a perios of time can work without a drastic change.

My ex-wife grew her hair long.  When split ends came... we used protein and oil to help repair them at best.  What would not take was gradually cut off reletive to the shape of her hair growth.  This was done until the hair was back at the right length.

Unfortunately, she very straight hair and you have curly/wavy hair.

The flat iron... I can only go with common sense.  When you use it, make sure your hair is not really hot.  Just warm.  It's possible several fast passes may work with out your hair over heating

When you wash your hair... don't do it in the shower.  When you wash your hair in the shower, you will be using a temperature that is too hot.  When you shower, you adjust the heat to a comfortable temperature for you skin to keep you warm.  This is generally too hot.  The water should be luke warm.  Tgis keeps the oils in and does not open the scales and poors to allow moisture and oil to escape.

It's best to wash your hair in a sink with a temperature that is right for hair.  This will give good results.  Take protein pills... like hair and nails in the pharmacy department.  It will strengthen your hair... and nails since nails are basically fused hairs.  Hope this helps.Tongue
Guys like me notice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic