Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Limit on How Long My Hair Can Grow?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bibbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Limit on How Long My Hair Can Grow?
    Posted: December 17 2005 at 12:50pm
Hi!  I'm a newbie!  This question has probably been asked before but I'll try it anyway.

Is there a genetic limit on how long one's hair will grow?  I had an Anat and Phys professor tell us that your hair is pre-programmed to fall out and re-grow after a certain length of time which varies from person to person.

I've been stuck at this same length for many years now.

Thanks in advance!

Bibbles
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2005 at 1:20pm
Hi Bibbles! Welcome to the forum. Can you go through what your hair routine is, e.g. blow drying etc and maybe we can help you out.
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2005 at 4:58pm

Your professor is correct. The length that one can achieve is mostly due to genetics. On average one's hair grows about three years prior to falling out and going into a short "resting" period. Then it begins to regrow. So "rate of growth" + "length of growth period" = "terminal length". Some people have much longer growth periods and/or faster growth, thus they can grow longer hair.

I've always felt that the health of my hair was more important than length.

Bibbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2005 at 10:47pm
Thanks for your replies. 

Hellfrozeover:  I use Aveda Camomile daily and Aveda conditioner (right now the volume clay is what I'm using).  I don't towel dry.  I use Aveda confixor.  I give my hair a break from washing once a week (usually on Sundays).  I use a wooden comb and a Bass brush.  During the week I blow-dry at the  just before my hair finishes drying naturally.  On the weekends I usually don't blowdry unless I'm going somewhere fast.

Sunsailing:  It's all coming back to me now!  Thanks for the brush-up on my Anat and Phys!  I think I'm stuck just below my shoulder blades which would be about three years of growth at 6-8 inches per year.

It's longish but I've always wanted to go even longer.

Thanks again!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 12:31am

I think most people's genetic potential is at least mid-thigh. Welcome to HB and nice to meet you Bibbles!

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 4:17am
It doesn't sound like you're doing anything bad to your hair. The minimal amount of blowdrying would do very little as far as damage goes. Strange. When mine was jaw length I always thought it was stuck there but one day I realised it was down to my shoulders. You'll probably notice that it's longer than you thought sooner or later or as Rini(I think) said in another post, you could wear it up all the time so when it's down, you notice it more.
Bibbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 8:15am
Maybe I should just avoid the trimming for a year and see how it goes.  My hairdresser and I have a different interpretation of 1/2" it seems.  I do always end up looking better when I come out though, but the length... 

You all have such beautiful hair!

Anais - Mid thigh!  That gives me hope!

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 8:54am

It sounds like your hairdresser is the reason your hair has been the same length for this long. 

Usually people don't hit terminal length that early...but the hair does have resting phases and one of them is around that length, (it can rest for up to 2 years) so it may sit there for awhile before it gets going again.  Stopping trims is not a good idea really if you want length.  At one point the breakage will equal the growth rate and that will make it look like you hit terminal length earlier than you might otherwise, though with a good hair safe routine, even that shouldn't happen until your hair is WAY long. (Also, a trim can be as small as an 1/8 of an inch and still be good for that purpose, so the reason yours is stuck sounds more like you're getting too much cut off).

I've seen so many photos of people with hair to their feet and beyond that I'm starting to think terminal length is a myth fostered by poor hair care routines.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 2:13pm

Sadly, terminal length is no myth. The hair all over your body grows at about the same rate. The difference is in the terminal length. So for example, the hair on your arm only grows for so long prior to falling out and being replaced. Your arm hair goes through many cycles for every one cycle of head hair. Thank goodness the cycles of our individual hairs differ so there is always hair in all the places....can you imagine having no eyebrows for a period of time? Or, should I dare say..........no hair on your head during the rest period after every single hair falls out at the same time  

From everything I've read, on average mid to lower back is terminal length for the average person.

I personally think that some of one's head hair has a longer terminal length than some. Once mine reached tailbone length, I experienced excessive shedding and the ends got thin. I'm sure I could've kept growing, but I don't personally like thin ends on myself. So some of my hair might've reached a much longer length.

I agree with what some people mentioned above about trimming. I trimmed every 8 weeks during the whole growing process. But my stylist only took about 1/8" each time. She is great to work with. Since I'm basically maintaining the current length now, I get 1" trimmed every 6 weeks. (My hair is above my waist now.)

My hair would've looked horrible during the growing process without trims. Trims were essential for myself. Other people don't get trims, yet it seems to work for them. You have to determine what works best for you and your hair.

Patience is the most important thing. Once my hair reached about mid-back, it just seemed to take off and grew extremely fast. It was at my waist before I knew it (I had no intention originally to let it grow that long....it just kind of happened.)

Continue to keep it healthy and time will take care of the rest!

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

It sounds like your hairdresser is the reason your hair has been the same length for this long. 

Usually people don't hit terminal length that early...but the hair does have resting phases and one of them is around that length, (it can rest for up to 2 years) so it may sit there for awhile before it gets going again.  Stopping trims is not a good idea really if you want length.  At one point the breakage will equal the growth rate and that will make it look like you hit terminal length earlier than you might otherwise, though with a good hair safe routine, even that shouldn't happen until your hair is WAY long. (Also, a trim can be as small as an 1/8 of an inch and still be good for that purpose, so the reason yours is stuck sounds more like you're getting too much cut off).

I've seen so many photos of people with hair to their feet and beyond that I'm starting to think terminal length is a myth fostered by poor hair care routines.

I agree with you, Susan.  I haven't been to a salon in 6.5 years.  Some of the strands on my head are at least 64" long - and my hair always grows at the average rate of 6" per year.

A person can never simultaneously discover their terminal length and keep their ends neatly trimmed.

I'm seeking to discover my own terminal length.  I think I'm almost there.

Haircare habits can seriously impact one's growth potential.  If I used the poor haircare habits of some people I know (and read about), I might falsely conclude that waist-length (or something much shorter than I have) were my terminal length.

I know a woman whose hair is very fine and thin and won't grow much beyond shoulder-length, but she is the exception.  Many people who don't grow their hair long probably have no idea how long their hair could get (and might be surprised that theri own maximum length potential is a lot longer than they think).

Bibbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 9:38am
Thank you Dave.  My next appointment is on the 21st.  I'll discuss with my stylist the 1/8" option.  I'm sure if I explain my long hair goals he'll help me get there.  I don't think I've expressed it correctly in the past.

LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 1:44pm
Hope it goes well!

Another thing-the hair will grow for a certain period of TIME not length. That is why if you get trims, it won't reach terminal because it will grow for the same amount of time but have further to grow (if that makes sense!) I trim my hair occasionally but usually only about once a year. As long as you don't trim off more than you can grow then it'll all be fine

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 1:46pm
Another thing-you can usually tell if you're at terminal because not all your strands will make it to the same length and your hair will become extremely wispy at the ends with maybe only one or two ends going the whole way. If your ends are neat; you're not at terminal and just need to lay off the cutting for a bit.

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Bibbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 10:12am
Thanks Ladyfrog!

I went to my stylist yesterday and explained that I'd like my hair waist length.  He checked my ends and said I wouldn't need a trim and suggested I use Scalp Benefits shampoo every other time to remove build-up and allow more oxygen to get to the roots.  I'm glad we're both on the same page now!

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 4:08pm
Great news, Bibbles!  Glad to hear your salon visit was positive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic