Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone know how to do a sew in at home???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cookiesnkream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookiesnkream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone know how to do a sew in at home???
    Posted: December 19 2005 at 9:25pm

Every now and then i like to go for the waist length
long layered look becuz my hair now is shoulder
length in front and small of back in back ,, but really
my ends are ragged and i like the body of just 2 or3
tracks done horizontally and Im sure simple to do
but yet i pay 10 bucks each row and id love to be able
to do it at home,, ive got the thread and needle and
all lol so if anyone can explain how its done HOLLA
Hair type: 3b some c?, fine strands, last relaxer sept 05, never again!!! current :ap length on sides,,nearly bsl in back, damn those old frazzled ends! I am hair OBSESSED   
merisit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merisit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 9:53pm

Well.... when I got mine done 5 yrs ago I went to a natural hairdresser.  And she did a pretty good job.  I told her how I didn't want it to be all lumpy like i'd seen on some ppl and she was sure not to give me the lumps

So anyways.... she braided the majority of my hair down (vertically) and she connected one to the other.  On top, where she would put the very last track, she braided one horizontal braid.

Then she just sewed the tracks across the braids (horizontally).  Then blended my hair on top with the rest. 

HTH! 

You can see a pic of it in my photo album....   at http://public.fotki.com/merisitamun

Natural since: Spring 00'
Type: 3c
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 1:00am

ThAbAdDeStBaBy   has an online album which she shows how to do a sew in.  Maybe you can look her up, I'm not sure if she want me to post her link. Try PMing her.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

tiajanice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiajanice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 11:19pm

My Mom has been doing her own sew-ins for about 10 yrs...She has aloepecia (spelling?), which is basically permanent hair loss over a good portion of her head and has had to learn herself.  I have seen her do it a millon times, and she had me help her a few times.  It's been a while, but here's what I remember...First, you need very strong thread - you can get it at a fabric store... it's called buttonhole thread or quilting thread.  Next you need a tapestry needle.  They are about2-3in long and curved.  then you braid one very small track where you want it, continuing the braid to the end of your hair.  Double the excess back against thetrack and use the needle and thread to put a few stiches in to hold it.  Next take the hair and attach it across using small stiches through the top of the hair and into the track like you're hemming a dress...

tiajanice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiajanice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 11:19pm
Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll try to help.
ThAbAdDeStBaBy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThAbAdDeStBaBy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 2:25pm
Awww thanx Cmesweet, yeah I do have a how to for a fullhead weave and I know I'm late replying to this post. I will soon have more how to's, I might have to get a better digital camera though but  I will do with what I have now and it should be up sometime in Jan 06. LOL But back to the topic, I can say that doing a weave/adding a few tracks/etc is an easy process (yes it does take a little practice and experimentation) but its worth it though. So when you do do your weave just take your time. HTH
ThAbAdDeStBaBy
http://public.fotki.com/ThAbAdDeStBaBy3
Hair Goal: BSL by late 2007-early 2008
Hair now: net weave w/EP-RT

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic