Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Falsies until nails grow?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Falsies until nails grow?
    Posted: December 20 2005 at 5:25am

My nails were growing beautifully but my hands and nails are REALLY dry right now and they've been splitting and breaking. Arrggh! Can I get something artificial put on until my nails grow? Not the usual tips but is it acrylic overlay or something that they put over the nail and they just grow out naturally? Or am I wrong. Thanks!

BrownEyez2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 11:29am

In the past when I've tried growing out my nails I've had silk wraps applied to them which protects them thus helping to grow out. Now that I'm at a great length I use Sally Hansen products for maintenance and strength. If you haven't tried this line, I highly recommend it. The Maximum Growth to start and then any of the other prods for maint. If you stick w/ the prods I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

~hth~

Edited by BrownEyez2
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 6:16pm
Thanks for your reply. I'll look into the silk wrap. I have to be careful what products I use because anything with Tolulene and Formaldeyhyde causes my nails to detach from the nail bed. Yikes! I'm pretty sure the Maximum Growth contains those chemicals. I did used to use it though and yes, it did work great. But ever since I used Nailtiques and had that problem with the nails detaching I've had to be careful. Must have triggered something. I do use Qtica, however, and it WORKS WONDERS on my nails. They've just been so dry lately and I haven't taken proper care and so they've all broken or split. I just wanted to maybe get some fake nails for a while ... just didn't want major tips. I had heard of something that goes over them that allows them to continue to grow naturally but look nice (and long) in the meantime.
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 9:02am

The problem with putting an artificial nail on your own is that natural nails will only get so long before breaking.  If you put an artificial nail on top, yes they will get long, BUT as soon as you take off the artificial portion, the natural nails cannot sustain the length and will break.

If you do choose to get an artificial nail, you can apply any type - acrylic, gel, silk, fiberglass, etc - without tips. 

If your nails are dry, I highly recommend using a good quality cuticle oil on them (yes on your nail!) - it will put moisture back into the nails and keep them flexible.

Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 6:40pm

What's an "acrylic overlay"? Also, what's this artificial nail w/out tips -- I mean why would someone get those? What is their purplse?

I guess I was wrong in my thinking then. I think I'll just do the oil like you said -- I know that's a good idea because I was doing it before and it really does help. I have been neglecting my nails and I guess there's no getting around it. I'll just have to wait til they grow back. Thanks for the info.

naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 8:00am
an overlay is an artificial nail without a tip.  Acrylic overlay, gel overlay, etc - it is the product, but no extensions.  People get them when they do not want extra length, but they want added support to their nails.
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 4:33pm
Ok, yeah, that's what I was talking about. Would that be an option for me? I mean to have those while my nails grow or does your advice regarding breakage still apply?
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2005 at 11:29am
Same thing - any time you have an artificial covering to make your nails grow to lengths they wouldnt normally grow, as soon as you take the covering off, your natural nails wont last.  If your goal is to grow your own nails, I suggest oil and strengthener and daily maintenance.  Artificials are a quick fix, not an aid to growth.
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2005 at 10:27pm
Ok, I'm going for the nail oil then. I should know better than to think a shortcut would work.  At least I don't have to wonder about the nails anymore. Thanks!
L281173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L281173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2006 at 11:50am
I would advise you not to do any acrylic overlays at all.  They are damaging to the nail bed.  To remedy your weak nails, I would first soak them in water with a tablespoon of lemon juice and then after I would wash my hands and rub plain jojoba oil, almond oil, or vitamin E oil into the beds of my nails.  This will help strenghten.  I would opt for a biweekly manicure until my nails grew to a desired length.  Avoid abusing your nails.
one classy, sassy female
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2006 at 7:45pm

Sorry, I HAVE to answer this.  Acrylic and wraps are NOT damaging!!!!!!!!  Take any one of the products and put a cloipping of your nails in it and in 50 years, your nails will still be there - the same as it was the day you put it in!!!  What IS damaging is the technician.  You should NEVER allow a tech to "drill" your nail or use a coarse nail file on it and you  should never EVER allow anyone (even yourself) to rip off the artificial nail!!!  These are the 2 sources of damage to the nail- not the product.
Look at it this way:  If you went to a hairstylist and your hair was damaged - would you blame the products?  No, you would blame the stylist.  IT confounds my why people are always saying acrylic ruins your nails, but they would never say that about hair.

Anyway, off my soap box - water is more damaging to your nails than a lot of things.  Soaking in water will cause polish to chip and the nails to split and peel.  This is the reason the beauty industry has pretty much phased out water manicures in favor of oil or lotion based ones.  If youyr nails are dry - use a good quality cuticle oil on the nail to keep it flexible and keep the cuticles nice.

Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 4:59am
Naildiva, for how long have you been doing nails? You're a professional right? Do you enjoy it? I would assume so. I always thought that it would be something I would enjoy doing and I think I'd be good at it. Can you get training and not be a cosmetologist? Just a nail tech? Thanks! (Also, I'm just starting school for something totally different. Just curious though.)
MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 6:14pm
Yes ND you seem very experienced, what would you say is better acrylic or gel nails, I guess I want to be durable even though i don't do anything that would cause the nails any stress. Also is it true that gel nails need to be filled less often?
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 6:54pm
Wow, i didnt see the earlier post Alaynay - sorry!  Yes, I am a professional and yes you can go to school JUSt for nails.  Training regulations depend on the state.  Ive been in the salon for over 6 years, I taught nails for 3 and currently manage the nail department at a spa.  And yes I do enjoy them!!!

Ms Mocha - to answer your question - no product is better than another.  It all depends on the person.  I know people whao cant wear gels to save their life and others who gel is the only thing that will stay on them!..  The best thing is to find a knowledgeable technician who can help figure out what is best for your lifestyle and not just put one thing on you because thats what everyone gets.  As for being filled - your nails still grow at the same rate, so your time between fills should be the same.  If you go longer, the nail becomes more unbalanced and there can be more breakage and it just looks bad!!!
MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:30pm
Thanx Nail Diva I'm glad you cleared up that gel rumour!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic