Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canadian Review of 50 Cent Performance
    Posted: December 21 2005 at 2:17pm
50 Cent hosts Policeman's Ball
Dec. 21, 2005. 06:14 AM

You wanna know the problem with 50 Cent?

Forget the bullet wounds, the bling, the bitches. Forget the NRA-worthy fetishization of firearms. Forget the dubious influence on our Impressionable Youth. Forget the man's unfortunate decision to conquer Hollywood.

The problem with 50 Cent is this: He's freakin' huge without being much of a rapper.

Make no mistake, the cat's got some hot tracks and one of the most enviable "gangsta" personas ever to seduce Whitby. But 50's final, pre-encore shout-outs to cunning entrepreneurs — and clearly talented MCs — Slim Shady (Eminem for you parents) and Dr. Dre at Ricoh Coliseum last night said it all: without you, I'm nothing.

Not to take anything away from the success of the man known to his mother as Curtis Jackson. In the grand tradition of parent-rattling that extends from Elvis and the Beatles to Alice Cooper to Ozzy to Marilyn Manson and Slipknot, 50 is that rare popsters capable of offending delicate sensibilities all the way up to elected office-holders.

Thanks to Liberal MP Dan McTeague's sloganeering crusade to keep the rapper out of Canada and the unfortunate parking-lot shooting that coincided with 50 Cent's last Toronto show, at the Molson Amphitheatre in 2003, last night's show was presided over by sufficient numbers of the local constabulary to remind one of the War Measures Act.

Best quote of the night goes to the guy dodging cruisers and Court Services vans in the lot after the show: "Dude, we're not gonna get shot. We're gonna get hit by a cop car."

The gunshot samples perforating 50's brisk set — conducted minus several members of his G-Unit posse apparently stopped at the border — may have put the cops on edge, but otherwise there was never enough energy emanating from the stage to suggest a riot might break out.

Preceded by a trailer for 50 Cent's Get Rich or Die Tryin' and a brief mini-doc on his rise to glory, the program was a hasty, perfunctorily rhymed whistle-stop tour through the "Fiddy" oeuvre. The folks on the floor dug satisfying hits like "P.I.M.P.," "What Up Gangsta," "In Da Club," "Candy Shop" and "Disco Inferno," but the show never really took off. Blame the diminished G-Unit crew for the dampened spark, or concede that 50 Cent's monotone drawl ain't that galvanizing over the long haul. Either way, it wasn't special enough to justify the headlines.

Additional articles by Ben Rayner

So do you all agree or disagree?

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
pmp4lfjmike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 2:20pm
Iono realy hmmm 50cent hot.. and he got some bigg problems but iono what to say.. He my second best rapper of all time

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 4:36pm
I always liked 50cent.  So I don't agree with the guy from Canada.  But thats why they call them critics.  Right?
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
brush to spin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 5:17pm
i dont like 50 no more ggg-unot
papaose is a beast
lilkeke918 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2005 at 9:35pm
i never really like 50cents music. I always wondered why wanksta was so hot. All i have to say is rappers are like milk when u freesh everybody wants you as soon as u got bad ur dont. So I give him props for investing his money wisely bc he knows he time is almost up. I mean you can only rap so long about being shot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2005 at 9:57pm
Lol yall most hate fiddy He tight to me ( and f#ck all you g-unot haters

lilkeke918 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2005 at 10:30pm
Don't trip lil homie ain't no hatin in me. I love music and i support my black people 2 tha fullest, but I give credit where credit is due. Not takin nothin away from the dude he's a hell of a hustler. i mean hell how many people have every thirteen year old white kid in the suburbs grabbin their nuts, and have aluminum in their mouth scream GGGG-Unit! like some retarded kid. Hell of a hustler but lyrically thats another story.

Edited by lilkeke918
Im an Ocean yall cats are just ponds

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 8:49am
I feel ya true that^

gLavan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 8:56am
lilkeke took the words right outta my mouth
you know me as a pro, respect me as a vet.
i put it down befo`, but u aint seen nuthin yet..
`bun-b
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic