Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Famous People with Gray Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LongBraidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Famous People with Gray Hair
    Posted: January 02 2006 at 8:15pm

Hello,

I'am curious. Does anyone know of any famous people, especially women with gray hair. I think my 4 favorite gray haired people are Richard Gere, Bonnie Raitt (got to love her small stripe in the front), Michael McDonald, and of course Lily Munster  

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran~
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2006 at 8:29pm
That is such a great question! I think Steve Martin has white hair, but I think he is quite dashing. As for women, I think the model for the J.Jill Catalogue has beautiful long gray hair. Her picture was shown on an earlier thread (a few weeks ago) about long hair over 40.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 11:49am

Hi SpecialKitty,

I completely forgot about Steve Martin! I couldn't imagine him with any other color of hair but white. Wouldn't he look odd with auburn colored hair  Do you have a web site address where I might be able to view a photo of this model for J.Jill Catalogue I'am VERY curious to see her hair.

Edited by LongBraidz
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran~
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 1:26pm
Here she is, I had posted this women on another discussion. I think she is
just lovely! I'm not sure if she's as old as they would have her appear to
be ( does that make any sense? ) She probably went gray prematurely,
because her face still looks very young. Maybe not though... who knows!

Don't let the man get you down ~ me

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 22" Goal: Waist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 1:40pm

Hi Sugaree,

Thank you so very much for posting and showing the model in question. She look's absolutly GORGEOUS! The gray hair in her photo's compliments her look's. 

Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 2:22pm
I'm naming George Clooney and Jamie Lee Curtis as two other celebs that
look great in gray hair. Also, in the movie Collateral with Tom Cruise...
now, I'm usually not a Cruise fan, but in that movie he played a (very bad-
ass) villian who had silver hair. He looked totally HOT! Better than his real
color if you ask me!

Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 2:23pm
Also, here is an interesting little article about choosing wether or not to
go gray http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip10011.htm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 8:45pm

hello again Sugaree,

your so informative....Thank You so very much! George Clooney and Tom Cruise. Don't they both make the idea of going gray appealing?  Jamie Lee Curtis look's WONDERFUL with gray hair. She is such an awesome lady and definantly a role model for women. I love the idea that more famous people have chosen not to color their hair and let it gray naturally. I checked out the link you posted http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip10011.htm they have a really interesting inexpensive book there "Going Gray, Looking Great: The Modern Woman's Guide To Unfading Glory by Diana Lewis Jewell. I will definantly be purchseing that book!  BIG  to you Sugaree for all of your help.

SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 8:50pm
Yeah, thanks Sugaree! I am so inspired by all of this discussion on gray hair. Mine is just now starting to go gray, but I kinda like it Thanks Longbraidz for starting this thread.
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 1:38am
I'm from the UK and we have a couple of advertising campaigns going here at the moment that feature the same woman with long grey hair.  Looks so beautiful that  I only notice her hair and haven't a clue what the adverts are for!!
gendolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gendolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 7:39am
So many including

Paula Deen
Jamie Lee Curtis
Diane Keaton
Helen Mirren
Olympia Dukakis
Blythe Danner
Cindy McCain
Meryl Streep
Kate Moss
Kelly Osbourne
George Clooney
Hugh Grant
Anderson Cooper
Pierce Brosnen
John Slattery
Judi Dench
Jon Stewart
Jeff Bridges
Robert DeNiro
Harrison Ford
Richard Gere
Barack Obama
Steve Martin
Tommy Lee Jones
Ben Affleck
President Clinton

Who am I missing?

Also.........................................

News about Gray Hair in 2013

The FASEB Journal Information On How To Fight Gray Hair

Hair dye might just become a thing of the past when it comes to the battle against grays.

According to a European study, scientists have discovered the trick to fighting the cause of gray hair rather than the symptom itself.

The new research, published in The FASEB Journal, focuses on the root of going gray (get it?) by narrowing it down to a depletion of an enzyme called catalase that breaks down hydrogen peroxide.

When one has a buildup of hydrogen peroxide in his or her hair, the oxidative stress causes graying (the younger you are, the more catalase you produce). So how did the researchers combat this natural occurrence?

They applied a topical, ultraviolet B-activated pseudo-catalase called PC-KUS.

Strangely enough, the 2,411-person study was conducted to find a treatment for vitiligo, a condition that causes depigmentation of sections of skin.

While finding a new method to treat vitiligo, however, researchers stumbled upon the the pseudo-catalase's ability to halt the process of graying, too. Two birds, one stone.

"For generations, numerous remedies have been concocted to hide gray hair," Gerald Weissmann, M.D. Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal, said "But now, for the first time, an actual treatment that gets to the root of the problem has been developed."

No word yet on whether or not this treatment will be available to the public, but we can already imagine hair colorists shaking in their aprons.

Would you try this new cure for gray hair?

Edited by gendolly - October 03 2014 at 3:26pm
gendolly
gendolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gendolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 3:39pm
Why Does Hair Go Gray?

According to Jeffrey Benabio, MD, a dermatologist at Kaiser Permanente in San Diego hair goes gray when color-producing cells stop producing pigment.

Naturally occurring hydrogen peroxide can also build up in the hair, bleaching the color.

According to Dr. Benabio, Caucasian people typically start going gray in their mid-30s, Asians in their late 30s, and African-Americans in their mid-40s.

Half of all people have a significant amount of gray hair by the time they turn 50.

A Caucasion person is considered to be prematurely gray if his or her hair turns gray by age 20; gray before 30 is early for African-Americans.

Dr. Benabio says that going gray, by itself, does not mean you have a medical problem, except in rare cases.

Contrary to popular belief, stress has not been shown to cause gray hair. Scientists don’t know exactly why some people go gray early, but genes play a large role.

Also, a vitamin B-12 deficiency or problems with your pituitary or thyroid gland can cause premature graying that’s reversible if the problem is corrected, Benabio says.

Some research has suggested a connection between premature graying and lower bone density later in life. But in 2007, a study of about 1,200 California men and women showed no such link.

"Your level of bone density is related to activity level, your weight, your height, your ethnicity. It’s not related to your hair or the things controlling the color of your hair," says researcher Deborah J. Morton, PhD, of the University of California, San Diego.

So why does our hair turn gray or white?

Dr. Desmond Tobin, professor of cell biology from the University of Bradford in England, suggests that the hair follicle has a “melanogentic clock” which slows down or stops melanocyte activity, thus decreasing the pigment our hair receives. This occurs just before the hair is preparing to fall out or shed, so the roots always look pale.

Moreover, Dr. Tobin suggests that hair turns gray because of age and genetics, in that genes regulate the exhaustion of the pigmentary potential of each individual hair follicle.

This occurs at different rates in different hair follicles. For some people it occurs rapidly, while in others it occurs slowly over several decades.

In a February 2005 Science article (Nishimura, et al.) Harvard scientists proposed that a failure of melanocyte stem cells (MSC) to maintain the production of melanocytes could cause the graying of hair. This failure of MSC maintenance may result in the breakdown of signals that produce hair color.

There are other factors that can change the pigmentation of hair, making it lighter or darker. Scientists have divided them by intrinsic (internal) and extrinsic (external) factors:

Intrinsic factors:
Genetic defects
Hormones
Body distribution
Climate
Pollutants
Toxins
Chemical exposure

In 2009, scientists in Europe described how hair follicles produce small amounts of hydrogen peroxide.

This chemical builds on the hair shafts, which can lead to a gradual loss of hair color. (Wood, J.M et al. Senile hair graying: H2O2 mediated oxidative stress affect human hair color by blunting methionine sulfoxide repair. FASEB Journal, v. 23, July 2009: 2065-2075).

gendolly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic