Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

products search/recommendations needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wendyladi98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyladi98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: products search/recommendations needed
    Posted: January 05 2006 at 4:33pm

Hi, I will introduce you to my hair and then say what I am looking for. I have just above shoulder length hair (the pageboy length) that I am growing out to bra strap length. I've been told it is healthy, virgin, isn't damaged, it isn't spectacular, but is just there for lack of a better term. it is slightly thick (9.5 cm ponytail) but the individual strand is medium thin. I try to keep heat use to a minimum but probably use heat on it 2-3 times a week. I am looking for good heat protecting products that anyone recommends. Also would be interested in a leave in conditioner and ideas to build more shine and softness (it feels a tad coarse). I have tried citre shine high gloss pomade and the smell is the most wonderful smell, but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet as it makes my hair look like I haven't washed it in a week (I wash every day) my hair is just a smidge oily. Anyway, this is a lot of product request info so any part of it that speaks to you, a product you recommend, etc. is fine and highly appreciated. Cost is an issue as well so anything you know to be a great value is highly prefered.

Thanks,

Wendy

"In the darkness, see the light. Remember God loves you"
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 12:08am

I can't speak highly enough of Giovanni Direct Leave-in.

Ingredients: Aqua (purified water) with *rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, *nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, *thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, *chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, *clary (Salvia sclarea), *lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), *coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), *yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, *mallow (Malva sylvestris), *horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil, *soybean protein (Glycine soja), cetyl alcohol (plant derived), tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, grapefruit seed (citrus derived).

HTH
Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 3:58am
I recommend L'anza Leave-In Protector. It's a protein conditioner. Your hair is healthy so I guess protein is not a high priority but I just love this conditioner. I use it in addition to conditioning in the shower. My hair is thirsty because I color it but I do tend to have oily hair naturally. I got my L'anza at Trade Secret. I got the really big bottle along with the shampoo for $20 and it has lasted me probably two years (for the leave-in). Probably could get it off eBay also to save money. Not sure what salons charge.

As for your pomade. How do you use it? When I first started using shine serums and whatnot, I had the same problem. It does take a while to get it right. I mix mine with my leave in. About a pea size or a tad larger. And it goes on when the hair is wet. If you're just using the pomade alone, I'd take a little in your hands and rub your hands together and then first "wipe" your hands (flat hands, like "palming") all along the bottom of your hair (to get most of the pomade on the ends) and then start at the top and wipe down the whole length of the hair. Does that make sense?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyladi98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 5:23am

Thanks for the tips. I ordered the Giovanni Direct Leave-in, since it sounds pretty natural and so I will try that, thanks for the tips on the pomade that does make sense. I have a fear of "protein conditioners" since I have heard some bad things about them if you overuse, so I probably won't do that unless I see that my hair really needs it. I mainly use the pomade when my hair looks...the only way I can describe it is too dry. not much shine, etc. I think I was using too much at the root/top of my hair trying to get my bangs sleek and shiny. it does make sense to get the most on the tips where it is less oily.

Thanks,

Wendy

trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 6:27am
Wendy, rinsing your hair in cold water (when you've finished washing it) could increase the shine; it works for me!  A shine-boosting shampoo and conditioner with colour deposits like John Frieda Brilliant Brunette, Nicky Clarke Sweet Like Chocolate etc. (for your hair colour, whatever that is) might help too.  Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyladi98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 3:33pm

I do like john frieida products and use them from time to time (whem I can afford them - poor college student here)  I tried the cold water rinse all this summer and it did look great...I am not as brave in the winter but try to keep it at least lukewarm. BTW Do you know how the john frieda products work? (Like how come they make your hair have so many highlights, etc) I have been stuck in a product rut. I bought a gallon jug of paul mitchell tea tree shampoo last year for $35 off ebay and originally used it just once in a while but have been using it all the time for the last few months, and I think it has stopped working because when I first used it the shine and clearer highlights were amazing, I use VO5 split end conditioner (cuz it's cheap) I got a bottle of Paul mitchel seal and shine for my Bday and it doesn't seem to do much for me aside from the hair feeling a bit softer to the touch. I got the citre shine pomade  because it was on sale and I have noticed my last few salon visits it was used and I was intrigued.

Anyhoo got to go now but thanks for all the tips. It is a confusing world in productville.

Wendy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyladi98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 1:56pm
I have been using the giovani about 2-3 times a week for a month and it does make the hair feel so much silkier and the shine is wonderful without being an oily shine. I am wondering, though how often you should really use it. I mainly use it if I plan on blow drying, or if I am going somewhere special. I also notice since I got my hair trimmed the coarse feeling is better so maybe it was just an ends issue as well. I love my new hair cut. I got just a 1/4 inch or so off the back and had gradual tapering done in the front so it isn't as thick and is so much more managable. Anyhoo, thanks for all the advice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic