Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Bad Hilight Job!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wondermidget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wondermidget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Bad Hilight Job!
    Posted: January 07 2006 at 7:14pm
About two weeks ago I let my aunt hilight my dark brown hair.  She has done this many times before to herself and her son's girlfriend's hair (which both look good).  Well, she told me to leave the chemicals on my hair for an hour and a half.  My hair turned out too yellow ( i had to buy purple shampoo for that), and is very dry and thin now.  I really want to dye my hair dark brown again.  How much more damage will this cause?  Should I do it?  Right now my hair is long, down to the middle of my back, and I'm afraid it will break off.  I have strong, naturally wavy/curly hair.  Now it feels extremely dry and weird to the touch.  Please help.
Blondie1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2006 at 9:27pm

Hi there~

I can understand your concern for your hair~ especially after all the time it takes to grow your hair to mid-back length.

If your hair is feeling super dry, take some time to really condition your hair with a good quality conditioner.  Also, whenever you can, leave the conditioner on for awhile.  Wrap a plastic bag over your hair with the conditioner and then use a hot towel or a bonnet hair dryer (if available)~ to add some heat to help the conditioner get into the cuticle. 

Regarding colouring your hair again and breakage, etc~ someone else should be along soon who is a bit more knowledgable who can help you out.

Good luck! 

Edited by Blondie1972
wondermidget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wondermidget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2006 at 12:09am

Thank you so much,

It is really scaring me because my hair feels completely different now and I just wish I never would have done it in the first place .  I doubt dying it again would do any good, its just so frail on the blonde pieces (obviously).  My hair has been bad before.  I had a colorist screw up and the color had to be stripped off twice (from black).  But it seemes even more brittle right now.

aubergine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2006 at 3:19pm
Definitely take Blondie's advice, there are some great quality intensive conditioners out there that may make your hair managable and strong enough to be able to dye over again.
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2006 at 10:02pm

I'm no expert but personally, I don't see why you couldn't dye over that blonde. I bleached my hair blonde years ago and HATED it and the very next day I went and bought some Natural Instincts in an ash brown color and went right over the blonde. It covered it beautifully with no "show through." I don't know if that's something you'd be interested in trying. Sometimes the light color will show though though -- it didn't for me though, like I said. Natural Instincts is gentle enough that you can do it often.

Also, like they mentioned, the deep conditioning will help tremendously.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic