Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Switching Hairstylist...how do you do it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brunette7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunette7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Switching Hairstylist...how do you do it?
    Posted: January 12 2006 at 10:32pm
Committing hairstylist adultery is very hard.

Over the last 7 years or so, I've loved my haircuts from my stylist. She is a master stylist and very very good. However, I was not able to get in with my stylist for about 12 weeks, due to mine and her schedule changes. So I called the other master stylists group in town and got in. My cut from the other group was great.    I liked it better and got more compliments than I do with my regular stylist.

You create a relationship, friendship, and trust with your stylist. I've always had great cuts and styles with my regular stylist, but the other one did a better job for me.

What do I do? Without hurting feelings how can you switch? I know they would be phoning me if I canceled my future appointments. While my regular stylist is one of the best in town, the other stylist is great too. Also there is another problem, my colorist at the same shop as my regular stylist would have to be switched as well, that is two people. I couldn't go back there if I left the master stylist. I pay big bucks for my hair. While my hair is my own thing, it also belongs to the stylist.

What is a girl to do? HOW does one commit hairstylist adultery and not feel guilty? What do you tell your hairstylist?

Any suggestions anyone?

thanks in advance...
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 11:13pm
From what I have read in articles about this subject in magazines clients change hairdressers so much that the stylists just get used to it. Some said they can tell when another stylist has done the hair but they didn't pick on the client.

Personally I feel that it is your hair and your choice. You should not have to hide the truth.

The truth is you needed to have it done and couldn't work out a time with your stylist. The truth is you went to someone else and you got good service. You were satisfied at both places. It is up to you to do what you want to to.

Imagine this senario.

Next week your old stylist calls for the appointment. You tell them you don't need one because you've decided to give someone else a try and have recently been serviced. You tell them that in the future if you need to you will return to the old one. Thank them.

Then in February you go to the new one and get good service again. Then in May you call the new one for an appointment and they can't fit you in for at least 2 weeks.

Maybe you can go back to the old one? If you are honest and you don't burn the bridges you'll be fine and they should understand.

You are lucky because you are choosing between stylists that both did a good job. If you were someone who was getting bad service at the old one and they called to make the appointment I would still tell you to tell the truth. Simply state that you aren't happy with your cut or service and you have found someone you like more. If they were to ask if they could make it up to you it would depend on what they did wrong and how you felt. Some things are mistakes and some are not.

It's your hair, you choose. But try not to make up stories or beat around the bush.

Any stylist who would get mad at you for going elsewhere is just asking to lose more clients. They don't own you and they don't own your hair. Even if they are a friend or relative.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic