Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who Is Right? Nurse or Judge?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 3:36am
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

Originally posted by trophywife trophywife wrote:

Originally posted by tdouty tdouty wrote:

Was it ABH (I'm guessing this is Assault with intent to do Bodily Harm)?

ABH = actual bodily harm.

Ah ha, thank you for clearing that up. In this case I would have to agree YES it's assault, NO it's not taken to the next level. Frankly I'm just glad that it's the woman's hair and not her arm. What a creep!

Well the current law of England and Wales draws only a very fine (some might say blurry) distinction between assault and ABH - for example, restraining someone around their hand or wrist to the extent that a bruise appears is ABH - so it's all a bit of a minefield.  In this instance, it appears that the girl's counsel was gunning for ABH so that this horrible bloke would receive a harsher punishment.

Hope that makes sense.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 8:54am

How I didn't know about this when it was in England I don't know....

Yes, trophywife, I have to agree that the laws of the land here aren't that distinct.  Sometimes I think going for a higher charge makes it seem like the victim is over-reacting, and doen't help much.

What the nurse needed was a long haired lawyer who understood her

Still a very very very horrible (understatment) thing for someone to do to a supposed loved one.

http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 10:11am
Originally posted by enfys enfys wrote:

How I didn't know about this when it was in England I don't know....

You think this would make the news when there is Wayne and Coleen's latest argument to report on?!  ;)  Not to mention the antics of Jodie Marsh and Prince Harry...

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 12:03pm

In this case I think creative sentencing would be in order.  It was assault, but maybe not assault with intent to do bodily harm, since "hair is dead".  Because "she was stressing him out" is no excuse however, and he should have to pay for this assault.  Were I the judge, I'd order his head shaved every week until her hair grew back to its original length.  If he took away her choice of appearance, his choice in the matter should be taken away until hers grows back.

Gavel goes BANG!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

In this case I think creative sentencing would be in order.  It was assault, but maybe not assault with intent to do bodily harm, since "hair is dead".  Because "she was stressing him out" is no excuse however, and he should have to pay for this assault.  Were I the judge, I'd order his head shaved every week until her hair grew back to its original length.  If he took away her choice of appearance, his choice in the matter should be taken away until hers grows back.

Gavel goes BANG!

Hi Susan,

Well said.  I love the idea of making the guy shave his head. 

This whole subject creeps me out.  Just last week I had someone reach over and touch my hair in a supermarket and say...oh how pretty...it was some guy...and I still struggle with what to say.  Also, I tend to wear my hair pinned up while out in public to avoid this danger. (I know, another topic for another day).

So the thought that my S.O. would chop off my hair in a fit of rage.  Sends shivers.  But I do love the forced head shaving. :-)

Edited by Karen Shelton
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 1:29am
Now here's the part I object to- "Unlike the magistrates, the two High Court judges ruled that hair was still part of the body, was 'vitally important' to a woman, and was regarded by some as their 'crowning glory', so cutting it off constituted an assault."  Her hair was important to her as a person, just as it can be every bit as much for a man.  Any given woman is not going to put that value on their hair, some will and some won't.  The court wording makes me wonder if the boyfriend would have gotten the same ruling if the story had been the other way around.
Anne-Loes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anne-Loes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 2:16pm

Hi Karen,

I didn't visit  Hair Talk for too long. Sorry for that.

I was really astonished by this topic/article. You are very right to oppose this decision. Hair is not dead. It's a vital part of a girl/woman and very often their crowning glory. I would say that the judge was wrong. There was a lot of harm done. It's a violation of personal integrity to cut of someone's hair without permission. Hair is a part of someone's personality and the described act was of course NOT in accordance with human rights and the freedoms associated with these rights. I hope that this woman will get the change to get justice and that she will get back her long hair.

Karen, this brings me to your final point. The whole subject creeps me out also. I have to be alert with my long hair. I prefer to wear my hair flowing straight down my back but do so  at home and in office. I do not feel safe in supermarkets,cinema's concerthall's and especially not in public transport unless I wear my hair in a braided bun, two Dutch braids or a pony-tail. And even than! 

We should remenber that long hair is a treasure and you should always be aware of that!

Anne-Loes

Anne-Loes
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 2:40pm

Quote Just last week I had someone reach over and touch my hair in a supermarket and say...oh how pretty...it was some guy...and I still struggle with what to say.  Also, I tend to wear my hair pinned up while out in public to avoid this danger. (I know, another topic for another day).

Quote Karen, this brings me to your final point. The whole subject creeps me out also. I have to be alert with my long hair. I prefer to wear my hair flowing straight down my back but do so  at home and in office. I do not feel safe in supermarkets,cinema's concerthall's and especially not in public transport unless I wear my hair in a braided bun, two Dutch braids or a pony-tail. And even than! 

I realize I brought up the subject of that particular serial killer and all, but such an occurance would be extraordinarily rare.  Given that, I am surprised to see some of you put your hair up for purely defensive purposes.  Is this just to avoid the chance of a stranger touching it or is it also to avoid the chance of long hair getting caught in machinery or something (a thing I would be more worried about, say if my hair was of extreme length)?  Do people regularly mess with you because of the longer hair?

My hair is to my waist in back, but beyond the accidental brushing or maybe tugging in a crowded place like a hockey game or something, no one messes with me.

tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 3:16pm
No one ever bothers Jennifer's hair either.  Maybe it's because we're usually together and having a guy with her keeps hair-stalkers away??  I don't know, but I do remember the day before I met Jennifer when I'd try to brush up against a woman with long hair just to feel her hair or maybe take in the fragrance.  There's a very alluring quality of long hair that makes people want to touch it.  I doubt there's many around who would actually try to cut it or damage it in any way, but it is very much like a magnet to those who enjoy it and never get to touch it.

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Anne-Loes Anne-Loes wrote:

Hi Karen,

I didn't visit  Hair Talk for too long. Sorry for that.

I was really astonished by this topic/article. You are very right to oppose this decision. Hair is not dead. It's a vital part of a girl/woman and very often their crowning glory. I would say that the judge was wrong. There was a lot of harm done. It's a violation of personal integrity to cut of someone's hair without permission. Hair is a part of someone's personality and the described act was of course NOT in accordance with human rights and the freedoms associated with these rights. I hope that this woman will get the change to get justice and that she will get back her long hair.

Karen, this brings me to your final point. The whole subject creeps me out also. I have to be alert with my long hair. I prefer to wear my hair flowing straight down my back but do so  at home and in office. I do not feel safe in supermarkets,cinema's concerthall's and especially not in public transport unless I wear my hair in a braided bun, two Dutch braids or a pony-tail. And even than! 

We should remenber that long hair is a treasure and you should always be aware of that!

Anne-Loes

Hi Anne-Loes,

So good to see you visiting here at HairTalk. 

Yes..long hair is a treasure and I agree, we should always remember that.

I hope you would come back and see us again.  :-)

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Tyranna Tyranna wrote:

Quote Just last week I had someone reach over and touch my hair in a supermarket and say...oh how pretty...it was some guy...and I still struggle with what to say.  Also, I tend to wear my hair pinned up while out in public to avoid this danger. (I know, another topic for another day).

Quote Karen, this brings me to your final point. The whole subject creeps me out also. I have to be alert with my long hair. I prefer to wear my hair flowing straight down my back but do so  at home and in office. I do not feel safe in supermarkets,cinema's concerthall's and especially not in public transport unless I wear my hair in a braided bun, two Dutch braids or a pony-tail. And even than! 

I realize I brought up the subject of that particular serial killer and all, but such an occurance would be extraordinarily rare.  Given that, I am surprised to see some of you put your hair up for purely defensive purposes.  Is this just to avoid the chance of a stranger touching it or is it also to avoid the chance of long hair getting caught in machinery or something (a thing I would be more worried about, say if my hair was of extreme length)?  Do people regularly mess with you because of the longer hair?

My hair is to my waist in back, but beyond the accidental brushing or maybe tugging in a crowded place like a hockey game or something, no one messes with me.

I used to wear my hair up in the early days of HairBoutique.com when I actually packed boxed.  I used to get packing tape caught in it...OUCH.  But now, I am rarely in the warehouse these days.  So I wear it down in my office.  However, I am paranoid about being out in public by myself.  Yes, it has happened to me more than once that people, both men and women, have reached over and grabbed my hair without asking first...in public places like restaurants, movie theaters and grocery stores.  I once had a baby reach out when I was in a grocery store checkout lane and grab my hair and not let go.  That was humorous because the mother had to untangle us but the other times - not so funny.

So yes...it does and has happened.

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Gormlaith Gormlaith wrote:

Now here's the part I object to- "Unlike the magistrates, the two High Court judges ruled that hair was still part of the body, was 'vitally important' to a woman, and was regarded by some as their 'crowning glory', so cutting it off constituted an assault."  Her hair was important to her as a person, just as it can be every bit as much for a man.  Any given woman is not going to put that value on their hair, some will and some won't.  The court wording makes me wonder if the boyfriend would have gotten the same ruling if the story had been the other way around.

They key being the presumption that "it is vitally important to a woman" (meaning every woman).  It may or may not be important (vitally or not) to any given woman, or man, for that matter.  The presumption of the general case can be seen as condescending (but then judges are in judgmental positions, so.... ).  Nonetheless, it is still encouraging to see the support being given to the woman in this case.

Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 6:24pm
At the very least, she should sue him for EMOTIONAL suffering. I hope that's an option there.
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 11:58am

Since my hair is just shoulder length at the moment, and I have never had hair longer than BSL, it comes as a shocker to my naive self that people actually are grabbing or touching your long hair out in public. I guess this is good to know....is it best to just keep it up as much as possible when out in crowds? Do you ever say anything to the offending (offensive) grabber/toucher? Thanks for the "heads" up!!

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:25am

You know, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you gals.  Strangers touching your hair may never happen where you live and having fear about it will only upset you.  The more you fear something, the more likely it is to happen due to unwanted self-fulfilling prophecy (meaning -you are so afraid it will happen, that you picture it happening all the time, and that seeing it in your head all the time leads you to a situation where you accidentally cause the thing you fear to happen)....but that's kind of beside the point.  Whatever the reason, it may never happen, and fearing it constantly is only going to stress you out.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:54pm
I agree SusanW! I am going to be fearless with my long hair!! (I can't wait for it to be long, but I'll have to wait a year or two, hehe)
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 9:21pm
Susan is right about fear becoming an attractant. 

And as far as unwanted touching goes, the most I have ever heard about it being a problem is with pregnant women complaining how strangers rub their bellies.
always_alone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always_alone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Tyranna Tyranna wrote:

Susan is right about fear becoming an attractant. 

And as far as unwanted touching goes, the most I have ever heard about it being a problem is with pregnant women complaining how strangers rub their bellies.

Strangers...touch a pregnant women's belly?! That's just rude! I can understand relatives and friends...but complete strangers! I think teh women should just be like..."oh I'm not pregnant, I'm just fat."

I doubt I will ever have a problem with someone touching my hair when it is longer. Mostly because I give off this expression most teh time for people to leave me alone.
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic