Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mousse recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brad123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mousse recommendation
    Posted: February 04 2006 at 12:59pm

Can someone recommend me a light mousse for men?  I DON'T want a mousse that creates volume.  Thanks.

trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 3:24am
Mousse is not required for straight hair; it encourages curls to form and stay in place and it usually creates volume too.  What kind of look do you want to achieve and what kind of hair do you have?  If you want straight hair, you are better off with a serum than any kind of mousse.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Brad123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 10:08am

I have Napoleon Dynamite hair that is chemically straightened.  When I get my hair wet, it is straight, which I like.  But when it dries up it poofs up a bit.  I want to keep this wet look.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 10:22am

I would suggest using a moisturising shampoo and conditioner designed for straight hair (like the Paul Mitchell Skinny range), then gently blotting the excess water from your hair with a soft towel (do NOT towel dry roughly) and applying a serum like John Frieda's Frizz-Ease to your wet hair.  This should help to prevent the "poof" effect.

Does your hair dry straight without blow-drying or using a heated iron?  If so, you should brush it to the way you like and then mist it all lightly with John Frieda's Frizz-Ease finishing hairspray, which also contains some serum (be careful to apply it sparingly and not right at the roots to avoid a greasy overload of products).  Good luck, I'm sure it will look great!

You could also ask your stylist to show you what they do and which products they use when you next go for a haircut.

Napoleon Dynamite is my favourite film.

Edited by trophywife
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 10:24am
p.s. gently combing a small amount of gel through your damp hair (again, not right at the roots) could also achieve the straight/wet look, it depends how long your hair is really.  A serum is definitely better for combatting "poofing".
Brad123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 11:51am
Thanks, trophywife.  I'm really glad I discovered this chemical straightening.  I don't use a hair dryer or iron. But my hair is 1000x less curlier than it used to be. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 3:22am

Cool, I hope you can achieve the look that you want.

It's good that you don't style your hair with heat, but the straightening chemicals are still quite harsh so be sure to take care of your hair in other ways, like using a deep, intensive conditioning treatment (like a mask or a leave-in) every fortnight, being very gentle when you comb, brush or towel dry, drinking plenty of water and eating a varied, nutritious diet.

Washing your hair in hot water is also rumoured to encourage frizz, I guess because it dries out the hair.  Try sticking to warm or luke-warm and finishing with an extra rinse in cold water, before gently blotting dry with a soft towel.

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic