Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Safer Blonde?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sambolina20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sambolina20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Safer Blonde?
    Posted: February 04 2006 at 10:18pm
Is there any safe way to be a blonde? It's always been so damaging to my fine thin hair. I've learned to calm it down a bit and am satisfied with just a little blonde in the front . And are there lighter henna colors, like around a 7-8? Is henna much healthier for your hair? Thanks!
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 2:59pm
This question might depend upon what your natural hair color is.  If you stay close to your natural range (say a light to medium brunette becoming a medium to dark blond), it should not be that damaging.  But if you are going from something like dark chestnut to Gwen Steffani platinum blond, then it can be quite damaging.  Am sure you have noticed this trend with all the starlets in the news - they all go platinum, then end up having to chop their brittle, damaged hair off and wear costly extensions.

I don't know about henna.  Most hennas I see turn hair red.  Henna is less damaging, but very, very permanent.  Missrini knows a lot more about henna.  Maybe she will chime in.
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 5:51pm

Hi sambolina and welcome :)

Henna, although EXCELLENT for the health of your hair, can not lighten your hair. Pure henna will colour your hair red and you can add certain herbs to it to tip that colour towards brown or black if you like.

I don't know of any "safe" way to be (artificially) blonde. Lightening your natural hair colour will require bleaching it in some way which is always going to cause some damage.  This would be especially obvious on finer hair.

Taking extra special care of your hair will help though. If you really want to have lighter hair, you can counteract some of the resulting damage with regular trims, deep conditioning treatments, less frequent washing, silk pillowcases, protective up-styles, etc etc etc. The list goes on! Hang out here for a while and I'm sure you'll pick up some GREAT tips for your hair!

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic