Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP ASAP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hollymoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollymoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP ASAP
    Posted: February 07 2006 at 11:08pm

I have a serious dilemna.  I went out a bought a box of ColorSilk hair color in Dark Blonde (my natural hair color is medium brown) and tried to dye my hair.  The results were that it only lightened my hair a little bit and made it streaky.  I went to the Mastercuts in the mall near my house and asked them how they could fix it.  The stylist told me it would cost me $70 to have corrective coloring done because they would have to bleach my hair out and then put the color on top of the bleach.  I picked out the darkest blonde they had and she went to work.  After three hours she turned me around and my hair was very bright blonde (almost yellow) and I told her I was very unsatisfied.  She told me to return the next day and they could color it again and get it to the color I wanted and it would not cost me anything.  After I got home I realized that the stylist has gotten dye all over my shirt (a brand new shirt) and there was a sore on my scalp from the bleach.  I returned the next day and they told me I would have to wait until the manager was there to look at it.  I was very upset because this was my hair and I had already paid for the service.  I talked to customer relations for Mastercuts and they told me they could either fix my hair OR refund my money but the manager would have to see my hair first before anything could be done.  I have decided that I dont want anyone from that place to touch my hair.  I am thinking about trying to dye my hair myself (since I have heard that it isnt as hard to darken your hair as it is to lighten it).  I also read that semi permanent dye is not as  harsh on your hair as permanent.  What do you think I should do?  Please get back to me asap.

Holly M
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 11:48pm

Hmmmm what color were you hoping for? From the sound of your initial description you were probably a natural level 6 and wanted to be a Level 8 or 9. Was the haircolor kit you purchased a High Lift Blonde Series? Even with that haircolor in your hair if you wanted to lighten it some they wouldn't need to bleach your whole head. They could have done foil highlights throughout your head with a Professional High Lift Series which is Lift & Deposit Haircolor. Bleaching your whole head....DAMN.....How light did you want to go? Having sores on your head is never a good thing and a sure indicator something happened that shouldn't have. Many use powder lighteners that they say are safe for the scalp and they might be but any bleach left on the hair or scalp for an extended period of time could cause chemical damage to the hair or skin.

How long did she leave the bleach on your hair? Choosing the darkest blonde I don't think she would have had to lift the hair very much to be able to get that color in...maybe 20 - 30 min with bleach....tops. Did she put you under the dryer with heat to help lift the color?

Sorry to hear about yer shirt but she probably didn't drape your properly and was sloppy in applying the color.

Haircoloring whether it's semi, demi or permanent haircolor is still a chemical process. If you hair is already damaged putting any type of color onto the hair could damage it more. Once hair is damaged it can be managed by deep conditioning but it cannot be repaired.

Haircoloring can be tricky. You need to know the laws of haircolor, the underlying pigment in haircolors, the level system, the color line you are using, You also need to know how to add control to your color mixtures to control unwanted brassiness in haircolor. You need to know how to treat previously colored hair differently compared to your uncolored regrowth...if you apply the same color the results will be different on the regrowth vs the already colored hair. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is alot more to haircolor than just getting color from a box that you think looks good and putting it on your hair. There is so much more to it.

If you read the posts in these threads some of these people have been coloring their hair themselves for a long time but it still takes them several attempts to get it correct or to a color that they feel is acceptable.

Ultimately I've seen clients who have burned their scalp or their hair to the point of severe damage where the only alternative is a dramatically shorter haircut than what is acceptable to them but they did it to themselves by attemping color on their own.

My advice would be to goto a professional...someone with a little more experience than a stylist at Mastercuts who is probably recently graduated from school.

Also it's important that after you spend good money for a professional haircolor service that you also buy some professional shampoo & conditioner for color treated hair to help preserve the color that you just spent good money on in the first place. Stuff like Pantene and that commericial stuff is junk and really strips out and fades haircolor. Spend the $20 on some good stuff for color treated hair. People insist it doesn't make a difference...as a HairStylist I can tell you it makes all the difference in the world.

G'luck

Edited by Claude
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic