Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

loose hairstyles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
letmecount123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: loose hairstyles
    Posted: February 09 2006 at 2:18pm
I find that I really don't like wearing my hair in a loose style. I french braid it fairly often, but it always gets loose at the base of the braid and I end up rebraiding that section 5-6 times a day so I'm comfortable with it.

Are the rest of the long haired crew here happy with loose styles? Or am I just weird? I prefer tight ponytails to anything if I'm going to wear my hair up, but french braids work better when I'm lazy (I can let it dry halfway and still salvage an updo).

Or does anyone have any suggestions to keep my braids tighter? Even if I do two, they loosen up a lot.

~Holly
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 2:45pm
I prefer the look of loose stuff and my braids are always very loose. However, if I have a loose upstyle, they usually fall down within ten minutes  so my I prefer my updos to be a tight loose. That doesn't make sense but ah well

I mean that I prefer to have the hair loose but secured very tightly.

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
MrsMNK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMNK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 3:50pm
Try using 1 bobble at the top of the braid and 1 at the bottom, unless thats what you do already. Ur hair must be too soft lol.I usually always wear my hair in a loose braid because im scared of damaging my hair if i wear it tight, also ive noticed when i wear my hair in a bun my ends split more easily im not sure why this is though.
Type *~2A/2B~* waist length

Aim *butt length*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 5:29pm
I never wear my hair in a true bun...it's too ballet dancerish for me. I always leave a little tail out, haha. It's posted in that "how you usually wear your hair" post or whatever...

But I don't like the feeling of my hair moving around unless it's supposed to move around.

And yes, my hair is unnecessarily soft... so much that it's kind of slippery. Not very much texture. There is no way I would be able to do anything with bobby pins at all at this point.

Edited by letmecount123
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 7:29pm
HI Holly, I´m like you and prefer my hair up. If your style doesn´t stay, it could be because you over-condition. You really don´t need the same kind of slip that the loose hair-crowd do. I personally use conditioner once a week, it is quite enough.
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 7:58pm
Hoooly crap. If I conditioned once a week, I would never be able to get a comb through my hair ever again. I used to use a spray leave in and even that was very hard to comb with... the cream one works better.
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 6:32am
Try braiding it loosely before washing it. Then undo the braid and let it airdry before you comb it. Granted, it takes more care and a few minutes more than if conditioned, but your style stays a lot better.
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 7:05am
I find that sagging at the neck thing annoying about french braids too.  Its why I hardly wear them.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 3:21pm

My hair is still relatively short (almost 20" now), but I wear it loose about half the time. I have wavy hair, so loose styles include side part with a small barrette on one side, headband, and just messy loose. But I'm really enjoying updos now also, and just mastered a french twist!

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 7:32pm
All you lucky ducks with your too-soft-and-silky hair.  I wish!

Loose, ponytail, braids, buns... they all look good IMO.

The key to braids that stay in place is to tighten as firmly as you can at each turn.  This is especially important when you start the braid.  It takes practice but the results are worth it.

dancingbarefoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancingbarefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

The key to braids that stay in place is to tighten as
firmly as you can
at each turn.  This is especially important when you start the
braid.  It takes practice but the results are worth it.

Exactly! Keep it snug and it won't loosen up.

I don't like loose braids because my braid ends up looking ratty and matted
real quick if I do that. That, and a tight braid is already as big around as my
wrist - it if were loose, it might need its own zipcode.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 8:25pm
... it's own zipcode.   

Since my hair tapers so much (from about 3" circumference at the nape, to nada at the ends), my braids tend to get fuzzy anyway, but the fuzz is less the more tightly I braid.  My damp braids tend to get less fuzzy, too.
dancingbarefoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancingbarefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 12:48am
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

... it's own zipcode.   

I was going to say, "destroy Tokyo" but I wasn't sure people would get the
Godzilla joke.

Oh, mine definitely tapers a lot at the end, too. Wish it didn't, but it ever
since I passed waist length it's been tapering more and more.
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 1:29am
Quote Or does anyone have any suggestions to keep my braids tighter? Even if I do two, they loosen up a lot.

Can your hair hold a rope twist style braid?

Weather Forcast - With high humidity in the air, expect general hair frizziness to continue :-/
Current Length: 30 inches or so from the front
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 7:45pm
Dave and DancingBarefoot, Thanks for the braiding tips. I am envious of how thick your hair is!!!
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by dancingbarefoot dancingbarefoot wrote:

I was going to say, "destroy Tokyo" but I wasn't sure people would get the Godzilla joke.

That works, too.

Originally posted by dancingbarefoot dancingbarefoot wrote:

Oh, mine definitely tapers a lot at the end, too. Wish it didn't, but it ever
since I passed waist length it's been tapering more and more.

Yah, I know that feeling, too.

Cool picture & great hair, Tyranna, thank you for sharing!  Love the weather forecast.
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 8:33pm
Quote Cool picture & great hair, Tyranna, thank you for sharing!  Love the weather forecast.

Thank you Dave.  LOL, some days my hair will lie nicely - other days  it can fuzz up, especially during the winter.

Back to letmecount123's post, you mentioned french braiding.  Have you tried variations with this kind of braiding?  You can french braid taking the strands over instead of under and get very cool look.  Also, you can do an upside down french braid starting at the nape of your neck and go upwards and tuck the end into a very nice up-do.

Weather Forcast - With high humidity in the air, expect general hair frizziness to continue :-/
Current Length: 30 inches or so from the front

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 2:12am
Hmm, no I haven't really done a lot of experimenting with braiding. Unfortunately my school schedule does not permit a lot of extracurricular time for hairplay (although that would rock if it did).

My mother is so amazed that I can hold my arms up above my head long enough to do a normal french braid. A friend of mine does the inverted braid thing, which I may have to try sometimes... it's just that one of the hardest things about braiding is keeping everything straight in your hands (ie: not mentally confusing strands, etc) and keeping knots from forming at the ends of your hair. That's why I prefer braiding when my hair is half dry...everything slides nicely, but it's not sopping wet or so dry that it knots easily.

Anyhoo, I need some sleep but thanks for the all the advice everyone. :)
Award View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Award Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 8:41pm
If I work some mousse through when my hair is still damp and then helps to
hold. (I still use the nape of neck bobble too) The mousse adds a little
grab so soft hair isn't quites as slippery.
always lending a hand
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 2:38pm
Welcome aboard, Award!  Tell us about your prize-winning hair? 

SpecialKitty, thank you for your compliment!  (Sorry I didn't acknowledge last post).

Originally posted by letmecount123 letmecount123 wrote:

My mother is so amazed that I can hold my arms up above my head long enough to do a normal french braid. A friend of mine does the inverted braid thing, which I may have to try sometimes... it's just that one of the hardest things about braiding is keeping everything straight in your hands (ie: not mentally confusing strands, etc) and keeping knots from forming at the ends of your hair. That's why I prefer braiding when my hair is half dry...everything slides nicely, but it's not sopping wet or so dry that it knots easily.

I used to get tired arms, too.  Not anymore.  I think I got used to it.  Also, I engage in periodic aerobic exercise, which helps improve circulation in general and helps when holding those hands up high for an extended period of time.  Avoiding the formation of knots at the ends of my braid is a special endeavor with hair that's this long; I've resorted to using my knee once or twice. (At least, it works!)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic