Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crazy, Static Hair!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_thumbelina_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _thumbelina_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crazy, Static Hair!
    Posted: February 10 2006 at 7:57am

Okay so for the last week or so I've noticed my hair has been super static! Whether it's been straightened or in its normal curly ish state. I haven't changed any of the products i use, I defnitely don't over brush my hair and the straighteners I use are supposed to be like, anti static (ghd). I can't think of a reason for its crazyness, can anyone name any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

xxx

"You were the movie of my life, starring you instead of me"
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 8:14am

Well, static hair can be caused by any or any combination of the following:

Central heating, air conditioning, flying, going from cold places into hot ones (e.g. outdoors during winter and warm buildings) and vice versa, wearing manmade fibres, sleeping on a polyester pillow, using a brush with plastic bristles instead of natural ones, mussing up with a towel, dehydration.

I think straightening can definitely cause static too; I don't really believe in the concept of "anti-static straighteners".  Are you applying a heat protective product to your hair before heat styling?  This will not only prevent your hair from getting too damaged, but could also reduce the static.

Ensure that you drink plenty of water and don't turn up the heating or aircon too high, invest in a satin pillowcase, keep heat-styling to a minimum and ,every time you wash your hair, finish with an extra rinse in cool water.  Don't towel dry, just pat the hair very gently with a soft towel to remove the excess water. 

Hope this helps - good luck.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
jesusluvsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesusluvsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 9:31pm
trophywife, could you suggust a good heat protective product? preferably one that can be but a  drugstore,grocerystore,etc.

Edited by jesusluvsu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 2:53am

Originally posted by jesusluvsu jesusluvsu wrote:

trophywife, could you suggust a good heat protective product? preferably one that can be but a  drugstore,grocerystore,etc.

I use a spray intended for dry hair, which is made by Lee Stafford and comes in a bright pink bottle.  Unfortunately, I think it's only available in the UK and part of Europe.  (I also use the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle intensive conditioner once a week or fortnight to re-moisturise my hair: I don't straighten that often as my hair is naturally very straight).

I believe that GHD, L'Oréal and TreSemme all make heat protective products to use before styling, which are available in N. America.  I've never used any of them so I can't make a personal recommendation (sorry).  If you look on the straight hair board, you might well be able to find someone who's used one of them.  I imagine that the GHD one can be purchased from salons, but L'Oréal and TreSemme are widely available in stores and are also reasonably priced.  The L'Oréal is called Thermo-something, it's in a pink bottle and advertised by Beyoncé.

Hope this helps!

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
colt45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colt45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 10:00pm
Hello  thumbelina  

Usually when I get static in my hair I put some drops of Jojoba oil or I carry a new drier sheet with me and on windy days and my hair gets static in it I run the oil or drier sheet in my hair witch ever i have on hand...

Good luck.
Brenda  
Hairs to you and have a great hair day..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 2:37am

I like colt's idea.  You can get "cloths" from Umberto Giannini that are just like facewipes but intended for hair, I think there are various ones for reducing static, minimising frizz, and adding shine.  I've never used them, but I am a fan of his other products so I think they'd probably be very effective. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic