Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blowdrying & Airdrying

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PickledGeuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickledGeuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blowdrying & Airdrying
    Posted: February 24 2006 at 5:16pm

Are some woman much safer with blowdrying, than opposed to Airdrying?  I know a lot of women say that Airdrying is healther.. but whenever I airdry, I shed so much, it is ridiculous. I don't like airdrying with styles either because it causes way too much manipulation.  After airdrying I may try to flat iron and it is an absolute mess.  I dont see how it would matter as long as you are using heat protectants.  Someone please explain!!!

Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 5:57pm
Well, I experienced the mass shedding that you also got with airdrying, but blowdrying was definitely pulling my hair out and breaking it off.  So I found a happy medium: low-heat roller setting.  My hair loves it.
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
PickledGeuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickledGeuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 6:33pm
Roller Setting? I'm not sure if they have sets that would wrap around my short hairs! I also found that whenever I go to my stylist, and she blow drys and flat irons it has so much body and volume, but then again she has an expensive dryer..which Im considering getting.How often do you roller set Super?
R2D2inoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R2D2inoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 9:13pm

I used to get so many tangles with just air drying loose and the dryness/shrinkage made me shed a bit.  I am finding much better results by putting my hair into braids during the washing/conditioning process and letting them air dry in braids after applying a nice, thick creamy leave in conditioner.  I have to have quite thin braids though to speed up the drying process - like 10-12 braids.  I have thick hair!  It doesn't take long for me though as I braid every night anyway and my hair is very managable as a result.

If you start the wash in the afternoon/early evening, partially air dry and then go to sleep in your braids with a satin cap then you could finish off in the morning with the blow dryer?  Less heat needed, so less damage.  I don't blow dry at all.  I just put shea butter on my slightly damp hair after I've unbraided in the morning.  It seems to have fixed my problem with shrinkage and shedding.

Natural 10 years
3b/4a armpit length hair
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 3:35pm

PickledGeuse, go to a BSS to see what size rollers they have, or ask your hairdresser to let you see one of her rollers that will fit around your hair so you'll know what to look for.

If your hair is long enough to be flat-ironed, it should be long enough for a roller. Most people with very short hair usually have their hair wrapped and dried because it's too short for the flat-iron/blowdryer.

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 10:53am

Have you ever tried wrapping your hair and sitting under a bonnet dryer? It will still come out straight that way and you won't have to blow dry.  Blow drying is the worst thing to me.  I just hate it.  I  have to do it sometimes though because my hair takes forever and a day to dry but i only blow it for a few minutes after I take down my wrap.

You mentioned heat protectants, they are good to use but they will not protect the hair 100% from any type of heat.  They may help reduce the damage somewhat but you can still get a lot of damage if you use heat frequently or improperly.

A lot of ladies air dry their hair in braids or buns vs. loose to keep it from being so tangled.  I usually do it in two braids but this takes a lot of time to dry.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic