Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie Says Hi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie Says Hi
    Posted: February 28 2006 at 11:09am

Most of my life people have recognized me by my hair, over my name. Having been sick almost all my life - my hair is the only part of my body which works well, which is admired by other people and cherished beyond all reason by me.

If I knew how to put up a photo of it I would. The only pics I have are on my own computer and somehow I can't seem to post those as avatars. Maybe they're too large? Maybe because they don't have their own URL?

My hair is thinning these days, but still considered thick by standards of my age (I'm 50) and loosely curly all the way to the ends by any standard. It's blonde by choice with streaks of white (not grey - seemed to have skipped that stage) running through it. I'm 5'7" and I can sit on the edges of my hair - though not by choice as I don't want to damage the ends.

I never, ever put a comb or brush through it - my beloved spouse finger picks it out every night and I wear it in a single braid at night, taking it out to massage my scalp and putting it back into a single or double braid.

I'm currently looking for ways to get my hair safely through the change - as menopause is on the nearby horizon. I know myself well enough to know that I will continue to bleach it - so not doing that isn't on the table. But, the following is my regime and I'm open for suggestions and advice:

I wash it three times a week with terrax shampoo and creme conditioner (left in for five minutes). I alternate shampoos and conditioners as my hair requires - usually three/four times a year. After I gently squeeze dry - never towel rub) I put on either BedHead leave in or Chrome leave in conditioner.

Once a month I use a Vit E/Olive Oil condition from ears to ends - wrap for an hour and gently wash.

My hair is dry, but in pretty good condition. I have split ends, but you have to hunt for them. I've colored and trimmed my own hair since 1986. I will never, ever, ever, allow anyone to approch me with a pair of hair cutting sizzors.

Well - that's me in a folicle - saying hi and looking forward to any and all ideas for this ol' girl to keep her hippy roots - literally.

with love;

Shai

Edited by shai
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 11:40am
Hi shai! Your hair sounds gorgeous and it seems like you take pretty good care of it already. The only suggestion I could make is washing less often and maybe trying CO, more out of curiousity then anything else! (Co is where you use conditioner to cleanse the hair, no shampoo)

To get a picture of your hair as an avatar or in your signature, try going to tinypic. You can upload a picture from your computer and it will give you URL's etc. The adress is http://tinypic.com

Happy menopause

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 4:31pm

Welcome to our community, Shai  Your hair sounds gorgeous! And your spouse must be a real special someone to care for your hair that way.

If you explore some of our recent threads, you might find some new ideas to try: oiling, the COW-C wash method, shampoo bars, CO, etc... we've got oodles of resources in the Abbreviations and FAQ sticky thread. If you find things you're interested in trying, give 'em a shot one at a time and see how your hair responds.

Brightest blessings
Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 6:29pm
Hi Shai.....I REALLY REALLY want to see a pic of your hair! If you are having issues with re-sizing, then I would be happy to do it for you. Just email me your pic and I'll send it back to you at the correct size for an avatar.

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 6:35pm
Greetings shai, and welcome! 

Simply, I ditto what LadyFrog said; what with the bleach you need less shampoo and more (deep) conditioning.

How long is your hair

trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 2:52am
Hey Shai, welcome, sounds like you have beautiful, cool hair...
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 9:13am
Hi Shai, and welcome.  I want to see your hair too, it sounds beautiful!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
shai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 1:21pm

Such a warm welcome - thanx!

My spouse and I are planning to get out the camera to take some shots this weekend. I realized all my pics were old - several inches old.

We took measurements last night and my hair is 41 1/2 inches - not streched, just laying by itself. I'm so disappointed, I was hoping for 50 inches. It looks like it could be 50 inches - maybe if I stretched all the curl out of it, but alas, I won't do that.

I've been making the FAQ a daily habit and finding lots of ideas. I can't bare the thought that when the estrogen leaves so will a goodly portion of my tresses. I can't really tell on the genetic side what's in store as everyone above me passed from once kind of cancer of another before the age of 71. They'd all lost their hair to chemo years before that.

On the supplement front, I've started taking MSM, silica, cal/mag. zinc and the b's. Please forgive me if this isn't the correct forum or thread for this statement. But I'm still looking for whatever I can that will strengthen my roots, lengthen my growth time with each folicle and banish the splits.

Those of you who have pics of your locks up - wow!!! Such beautiful hair! It's more than heaven can allow to find a group of people who are as obsessive over their hair as I am. There's no way to explain this to some folk. Thank the goddess I married well.

Shai

philosophy girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 2:53pm

Hi!

your hair sounds gorgeous!

enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 4:02pm

Shai, you're hair sounds wonderful. 

I join everyone else who would love to see a picture.  (she says, despite never having posted one of herself... ) 

Long may it continue growing

http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 3:32pm
Hi Shai!!! Welcome to the Board. You are a very good writer, and your hair sounds amazing. I would love to see a photo also. I am doing CO because I have extremely dry hair and it is working very well for me (I do shampoo occasionally though). I am also taking evening primrose oil which is supposed to help with hormone-caused thinning. It is working great!!! Looking forward to having you here
Katharine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katharine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 9:30pm

Hi Shai, and welcome.
Your hair sounds great.  Count me in as one who would love to see it.
It sounds like you are already getting some good ideas on hair care.  I think you came to the right place for help and support.  Good luck and keep us posted.
Katie

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic