Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

EXTREMELY difficult hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rhean View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EXTREMELY difficult hair
    Posted: April 23 2000 at 1:04am
I have hair that is EXTREMELY difficult to work with. It's dark (black that turns red-brown when I'm out in the sun a lot) and waist-length, but very thin: when I braid it into a single three-strand braid, it's so thin it looks like I should be hiding another similar braid behind my back! I also have hundreds of fly-aways. As if that wasn't hard enough to work with, I'm Asian so my hair is very very slippery (I've had classmates tie it in a knot - which falls apart when I shake my head).

My prom is coming up soon (first week of May), and I have a dark navy slip dress. Any suggestions for what to do with my hair would be greatly appreciated!!! Thx,

--Rhean
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2000 at 11:58pm
Hi....

I would recommend that you do several things for the Prom.

1. Use a good volumizing shampoo like Edwin Paul Classic Shampoo or Matrix Amplify or Vavoom. These shampoos all cause the hair to "swell" which makes your hair fuller and thicker AND less slippery.

2. Don't use a conditioner. If you hair tangles, use a light leave in detangler or leave in conditioner like Edwin's leave in conditioner or Aveda's Curessence Spray or your favorite lite detangler. The key is lightness to prevent adding any more slippery texture than necessary.

3. Be sure to do a cold water final rinse which also swells the hair shaft.

4. Towel dry and use a big pick to detangle.

5. Apply a good volume gel to damp hair like Edwin Pauls or Matrix's Amplify or Aveda Confixer.

6. Blow dry your hair upside down using the slowest, cool/cold setting on the blow dryer and direct the current from the ends of the hair to the roots. This will ruffle up the cuticle and make it appear fuller. It will also help with the slippery feeling.m

7. When your hair is completely dry, do one of the following styles...

1. Braid you hair (I know it is thin) and then wrap it in a circle on your head. Pin it well and then spray with a really firm hold spray.

To control flyaways use a hair grease like Uncle Bubby's from Edwin Paul or use Aveda's Stick or use a good hair wax that has good hold. Use a little, apply to your fingers and then smooth along the flyaways. This will help them to lay flat.

Pop in some sparkly hair jewels into or around the braid....and viola.

2. Make a hair knot but be sure and use a good hair grease or mouse to help hold your hair in place. Apply a little bit and then apply along the entire length of your hair. Then make the knot. Be sure to pin is with a tiny hairpin that matches your hair color. You may want to pin it with more than one pin.

Contrary to popular opinion, most hair knots require pinning to hold in place.

3. Do one of the ponytail updos
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip548.htm

While your hair does sound challenging, the key is to plumping it up and adding the right styling aides like gel, wax or grease, to control the flyaways and give your hair some hold.

Hope that helps. Have a great prom.

Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
athack77 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athack77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2000 at 4:00pm
okay, here's what I would do. How about getting a hair cut, and going for a flip? Part of your problem I think is your hair is too long. That could be part of your reason for your fly aways. Try not washing your hair everyday of the week, if you have a real problem with such fine hair. I would cut your hair to your shoulder, keeping it all one length, and then you can part your hair using a side part, and flip it. If you have so many fly away's it sounds like you have too many splint ends as well. If this is the case, cut your hair, and you'll be surprised how great you look and feel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic