Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

In Madison Wisconsin,...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In Madison Wisconsin,...
    Posted: March 11 2006 at 11:04am

Hi,

I've always noticed over the past 10 years here where I live in Madison Wisconsin, more women of all ages, even 20 somethings at the downtown bars, clubs, have super short hair. It's fun to see more women turning to the pixie, and spiked in the back of their head.

I remember when I was in my 20's, I had short hair, I was a Wynona Ryder wannabe,;)

Now, My hair is slowly growing to my shoulders. I love my hair. So does my Husband!

I'm curious where everyone is from, and do you notice more young women sporting short hair?

Thanks,..

God Bless,...
Katie
kimspikedhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimspikedhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 12:59pm

Hi, I notice alot of women around my area (Minnesota) who have the short/spiked look, and they are women who are all different ages.

I am one of those women! 

I used to have below shoulder length hair, but since I have cut my hair to short/spiked, I get more compliments, plus I don't have to blow dry my hair anymore, just towel dry and put hair glue on and go.

Kim

katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 3:21pm

Hi Kim!

LoL,...Hair "Glue"! ;) Sounds funny, but effective,...

So I must tell you I have envied the women like yourself who sport the short spiked hair. I'm a punk wannabe, I realize that not all short spiked hair looks punk. In fact You're right many women of all ages look really cool with that hair style.

So do you have  a scanner to upload a pic of your hair,...I'm curious to see your hair,..I know my Husband prefers my almost shoulder length locks,...but I'm older than him(I'm 35, He's almost 32) so I'll try a new do, whether he likes it or not, LOL!!!

I'll wait till the 1st year. So this time next year I'll try a modified short spiked look, with some violet red lowlights all professionally done, ofcourse,;)

By the way, I don't have a scanner, otherwise I'd scan some pics of my recent wedding, and Mexico Honeymoon too!

We are sticking to our budget, so we can enjoy our lives, and possibly go back to Mexico in 2 years,...

Thanks,..Love katie:)

God Bless,...
Katie
kimspikedhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimspikedhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 5:13pm

What I use for my hair (to make it stand straight up and hard) is called, "Got 2 b glued spiking glue"   you can get it at walmart for under $5.00.  What's also great about it is, that it's also water resistant!     So if it's raining outside, then my hair won't go flat! haha   But I have to make sure that I use ALOT of conditioner in order to wash it all out. haha

I have bleached my hair "white blonde" for the past 10 years, but now I decided that I want a different look, so what I am doing is going for the "skunk" look. haha

I am letting my hair color grow out, and then I will leave my hair dark, (I was born with white blonde hair but the older that I have gotton that My hair has gotton darker)  But I will bleach just the tip of my spikes white blonde!

I am also 35 (will be 36 next month), I think that no matter on what your age is, you should have your hair the way that YOU want it, not the way that society thinks that you should.

Kim

Edited by kimspikedhair
churchgirl16 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote churchgirl16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 5:24pm
hi i live in Georgia and i have noticied that a lot of middle aged to older aged  wemon have teh short hair, not the spikie stuff iv seen a few teens with the short spikie thing but all of them are "goths" i had short hair for a couple of years it was REALLY short i cut it cuz my hair kept getting in the way while i was swimming but i learnd short is not my thing i look like a boy and worse my brother, i try to keep my hair about shoulder leangth or a least a good poneytail leangth because it is soooo thik i have to keep it up to keep it from bothering me well bye
see yall buhbye:)
churchgirl16 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote churchgirl16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 5:27pm
ps ur hair is really cute adn when mine was short i used some frizz off stuff from sallys beauty supplies cuz it worked like a gel but didn't get krusty adn like moose but didn't get flakry i know a girl who uses beeze wax taht stuff is hard to get out of ur hair 
see yall buhbye:)
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 3:21am

Hi there Kim!!;)

I really like the spiked hair on you, I'm not sure if mine would look as good as yours. Plus you have a very nice face, bone structure and awesome blue eyes! ;)

I have very Green Eyes and Natually medium dark redhair,..and fair skin, and I've been told I look like Shannon Dorherty, or now, at my recent wedding, my Aunt Jeannie(who is almost 44yr.s) thought my updo, and high cheekbones, with complimentary makeup made me look like a marilyn Monroe,...LOL,...I'm not too worried about comparisons,..It's bad enough I share my looks, with my Identical Twin sister Barb,LOL!;)

I know I'm such a goofball,.. Hey Kim, Happy Early Birthday to You!! I wish I was your neighbor,..You are so cool!

Thanks for uploading yourself on here,...P.S. I love your confident attitude, and You're right no woman should conform their hair(values etc.) according to society(or even men, even Husbands,..) You're sooo RIGHT!! Rock on Kim!!;)

Take care, God Bless! Keep posting,..I hope to PM You sometime as a new friend if you don't mind,.

Ok, bye for now, Have a great Monday!

Love, Katie, in Madison, WI. USA!!

God Bless,...
Katie
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 7:05pm
I am currently living in south Florida (east coast).  Most everyone here has long or longish hair.  I am not sure why because it is so hot and humid here most of the time that hair is either limp or puffed up and frizzy.  Mine is short and it was spikey but I am half heartedly growing it back out to chin length bob because I am probably moving back to Atlanta and no one there was ever able to cut my fine hair in anything other than a bob that I could tolerate.  I have a wonderful hairdresser here who I will miss terribly.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 3:12am

Hi demodoll,

Interesting,.... longer hair in Florida, especially with heat and humidity.

I hope you have a nice new home, and do find a great stylist where you move.

I'm just getting to know this 10 yrs younger(she's 25yrs) stylist, and she's very good, and mature and fun too!

Currently, my hair is straight(naturally) and parted bangs, about 2 inches above my shoulders.

My Husband Steve keeps complimenting me on my hair;)

I am sooo Happy with my hair, but most importantly my life!;)

Thanks for posting, good luck with everything, and I look forward to other posts of yours.:)

Love, Katie

God Bless,...
Katie
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 5:52pm
Some perspective on having long hair in hot & humid south (or central) Florida... I think people who live here for a long time (at least a year) become accustomed to it always being warm, and are just used to dealing with and expecting it.  Air conditioning is everywhere, except out-of-doors (of course), which makes living here possible.  And if it's long enough to be put up, it's similar to having ultra-short in that little or no hair is touching the ears, neck, or back.  So, it's not as ironic as it might seem at first.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 6:43am

I think it depends on the type of hair if it will look good long.  My hair is super thin and fine and it is really nasty in this level of humidity.  And you are right DD, it took me several years to figure out what would work for me here.  I assumed that it would be a lot like Atlanta or even Houston (both places where I have lived for several years) which are pretty hot and humid and it is and then some.   

My daughter has long hair and although hers is also very fine it is pretty thick and very straight.  So the humidity actually works in her favor here since she likes it to be as straight as possible.  I just assumed there would be a lot of super short hair here for the sake of convenience and I have not found that to be true except among much older women.  I really think some of those ladies who try to have long hair here would look very much better if they cut it but they seem intent on keeping it at all costs and mostly just scrape it back until they are going out somewhere.  My personal preference is short hair because it works for me.

Edited by demodoll
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Leatherface View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 10:14am
kimspikedhair:

Thanks for sharing the pic. I like the idea of growing your hair dark and bleaching the tips. My 37 y.o. wife had near waist length blonde hair when we got together 5 1/2 years ago. It's gradually gotten shorter (especially after the birth of our son 2 years ago) to now just below her ear lobes. The top/front are 2"-3" long and I love when she spikes it out. I'm trying to get her to try a #1 0r #2 clipper on the back. She experiments with blonde and red home coloring from Garnier Nutrisse.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 5:39am

Unfortunately, most women have long hair here.  It gets hot here in the summer, so there is a temporary increase in short hair then, but it doesn't last :-( .

Although most of the long-haired women here have the usual shoulder to mid-back length, there are a lot of women with hair to the waist or longer.  Oddly enough, I see them most often at the Wal-mart or flea market, though not sure why.

More awesome than a manatee!
hannebash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannebash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 10:22am
I'm in Ohio and everyone here has long, straightened hair!  It gets soooo old. Plus my hair is short right now and I feel a little wierd with short hair--it is that bad!  I used to live a bit further south in KY, lots more short haircuts there. I've never seen an area with so many people looking the same.
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 5:47am

Thanks both Kuroneko, and Hannebash!;)

I totally agree with you all.

I'm happy to see a variety in Madison Wisconsin.

However I feel for you both, regarding the"everyone looks the same. Especially long hair look").

Literally long hair bores me. Granted well taken care of hair(at any length) let alone long hair can be pretty,...However, I personally love a fun, fresh low maintenence hair style. Plus I admire others who are unique, it doesn't matter if you are one of a few with shorter hair. If I were You I'd feel proud to stand out. Who knows maybe You'll set a new trend where you live.:)

I really Love Madison Wisconsin. Very diverse, college town, people from all over the world attend the UW of Madison University.

The "Kids" and adults, vary in lengths and styles, even colors.

God Bless us all.

Ok, I can't blame people with long hair. Some love playing with it, or find it looks better on themselves.

I'm so grateful, I can look great in most hair styles/lengths, and colors.

Ok, thanks,...

Love, Katie;)

God Bless,...
Katie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic