Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My disaster. Please help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
samsara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samsara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My disaster. Please help!
    Posted: March 12 2006 at 2:33am
HI Everyone,
I am a new member with a story to tell. 6 months ago I decided that my long curly hair was looking a little boring and decided to have my hair chemically straightened. Sadly the salon that I entrusted this task to did not do a very good job and I ended up with long brittle, frizzy hair that broke off daily in lengths from half and inch to 3 inches. I then had 4 inches of hair cut off which left me with shoulder length damged hair. I have been seeing a new reputable salon fo the past 6 months and have been going religiously  each month to have treatments, trims and semis to the regrowth.  The second last visit the coulourist advised me that my hair was now healthy enough to have the semi all over as there was banding and colour irregularity.As my hair was still very porus the last 3 inches took the colour more and became a black brown while everywher else was a medium brown. On my last visit this was disgussed and the colourist decided to do a colour correction. This was done with at the basin with warm water and the chemical used to take out the dark build up. I was advised that it would not be damaging and so the correction was achieved with a nice warm brown all over from roots to ends. 48 hours later I have rinsed my hair only with water and combed it with a wide tooth comb. I could not believe the amount of hair and breakage from the residue on my comb at least 200 hairs of various lengths. I am  in shock and desperate for some advise. I feel that I can now not trust this salon either. Please can anyone tell me what I should and should not do to reagain my long healthy curly hair. I know it will take time and patience. I just need to know how to care for my hair and colour for the next 2-3 years until I can get back to what it was
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 9:18am

Hi Samsara,

I feel for you, I really do.

That's gotta hurt to lose alot of hair, and for it to be so damaged.

I wish I was an expert in hair. All I know what to say is You'll be in my prayers, and that someone soon will post what you can do to help heal, in all ways.

I would suggest posting about lots of feelings, and questions, and get lots of rest, and/or sleep. You need a balanced diet with at least a multi-vitamin. Try to go for walks, unless you already do excersise, drink lots of water too.

Ofcourse, use a gentle shampoo(such as baby shampoo; seriously it's been reccomended for all hair). Plus deep conditioner as well.

Try to focus on the best in yourself, like your other hobbies, interests, family, and friends. Try prayer, church, reading anything that makes you laugh especially. Movies, music, enjoying a manicure/pedicure, or a massage, bubble baths. If you have a pet, that could lift your spirit. Also, even just helping someone else will boost your sadness to happiness, whether volunteering just once a month with people you enjoy, or helping a stranger from time to time.

Sorry if I told you things you already know. I guess, I'm trying to help your mind and body and spirit all together, so You can get past this frusterating obsticle.

God Bless, and keep posting, we are all here to help each other,..

Much Love, Katie;) 

God Bless,...
Katie
samsara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samsara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 4:31pm
HI Katie,
Thankyou for your warm wishes. You seem to totally understand how
devistating this has been for me. I know it is only hair, however I have lost
so much confidence and can't stand how obsessed I hve become over all of
this. I just ned to know what to do and I will be fine with an action plan. My
diet and excerise habits are very healthy and I get a good 8 hours sleep each
night so i am doing all of things wel that I know I just need help
professionaly and I now have little faith to seek another salon. Should I cut it
all off or use treatments weekly and continue with the monthly trims?
Thanks again Katie.
lacey_nell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lacey_nell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 9:08pm
[FONT=Courier]Courier New[/FONT]

Hey my name is Lacey and I was just browning on here out of boredom and I saw your post and reading it made me sign up to this website just so I could post to your message. I know EXACTLY what you are going through. It happened to me too. When I was little I had long, naturally curly, blonde hair and then I lopped it off at 13. When I was 18 I was dying it every few months and it was breaking and just awful looking. I didn't have a very good cut either. So I decided to let it grow back out and just dye it to dark blonde. Thats my natural color now. I let it grow for a year and it looked better so I decided to get a perm. Chemicals are the devil. The salon people used the wrong curlers on my hair and I ended up looking much like a Chia Pet. The curls were supposed to relax a bit but 5 months after i got the perm the curls were just as tight as when they first took off the curlers. I switched hairdressers and it took the poor woman 2 hours to comb all the tangles out of my hair. Hair was just breaking and falling all over the floor. i was like NOO, thats the blood sweat and tears of waiting for a year. So we put chemical straightener on it so it would stop breaking. it still broke off a lot but not as much. i could comb through it at least. and its been about two years since then and now i have playboy playmate kind of hair. long, curly, tricolored and thick.

i know you might not want to hear this but the key is to wait. you're going have to wait for at least 1-2 years before your hair is ready to take on more chemicals. you could probably color your hair darker colors but i wouldn't go for blonde streaks as of yet. As for the part of your hair that didn't color right its because it needs to be cut off. it's eventually going to be cut anyway. but the key to beautiful, long, thick hair is genetics and CONDITIONER. i used maybe 4 different kinds plus hot oil treatments. you can never condition your hair too much. just remember to use good shampoo to get residue off after a while. buy leave-in conditioners and silkening balms. this is the stuff i used for my hair.

Proclaim hair gloss
Redken allsoft conditioner
Thermasilk leave-in conditioner
Wide Toothed Comb
VO5 hot oil treatments
miscellaneous hair stuff minus hairsprays and mousse

throw all your brushes away. when you use a brush it pulls the knot downward. it doesn't help to separate your strands. so you end up pulling on the hair loosening it on your scalp and brreaking the hair ends around the knot. a wide toothed comb is better. start combing from the bottom of your hair to the top and do it gently. carefully comb at the knots until they're out. the Redken stuff is your best bet. its amazing. its expensive but it saved my hair. a good hairstylist will know what it is and how to get it for you. i hope the best of luck to you. and you had great hair before you wil have great hair again. i would write more but i have to get off of here so send me a message sometime
Lacey Nell
samsara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samsara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 4:20am
Hi Lacey,
I am really pleased that my story has inspired you to join this site. This
site is amazing, I am learning everyday from pepole like yourself who
have had an horrific experience and can offer good advise as well as
genuine support.
I have posted this story here and also on bloopers and long hair support.
No response from bloopers though the Long Hair forum have been great.
They are so passionate and aware of growing and have really prevented
me from having the chop. Don't worry- I am over colour, chemicals and
heat styling- I have been very careful particulary since the last misshap-
that was the final straw. The breakage has settled down completely and it
has smoothed out heaps and lost that feather duster look
I only condition through the week and wash about every 7 or 8th day and
that has really helped. I am using a wide tooth comb and combing from
the ends. I will check out the product reccommendations- thanks Your
story has really helped, fortunately my hair was good to start with so
thats the plan to get back there.
Do you have any before and after pics of your disaster? Your hair sounds
fab now
dancingdp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancingdp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 12:53pm

There is Hope!!! Here is my professional opionion. I have been a colorist\hairstylist for over 20 yrs. First it is over!!! Do not go back to that salon ever!!!! There are a few things you can do to get your hair back to health. 1st and formost do get as much of the damaged ends cut from a reputable stylist(Do the reseach). There are the most amazing clip on hair extenstions in human hair. If you are interesed I will tell you about them. They are a brilliant invention....look totally natural and you can let your hair grow back.

I highly reccommend using Kerastase shampoo and thair intensive conditioning treatment. You need to go to a salon that sells Kerestase in your area. They will tell you what to use on your hair.  Use a good ionic dryer set on low along with an ionic brush!!! This is really imortant! I have been using Bio-ionic for years and I swear by it. They make a travel size that is not as expensive. It is well worth the investment! Use a wide tooth comb and start from the bottom and work your way up. Stay away from flat irons for now. Do not rough up the cuticle of your hair when washing it use teped room temp water and try to keep the hair as smooth as possible from the time you wash it to the time it is combed. Do not wrap it in a towel...keep it smooth and treat it as if it was an expensive cashmere sweater!!! No baby shampoo! No hot water!!!! No color/no drugstore brand anything!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic