Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Care Regime Suggestions for Fine Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JerCat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Care Regime Suggestions for Fine Hair
    Posted: March 20 2006 at 3:13pm

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this board but have always had some length of long hair, although never as long as I would like since I've been an adult.

This is a short recount of my hair history: I had waistlength or longer hair that has always been baby fine until I was about 10 when I became very sick for the next 9 years or so.  During this time, my hair became thinner, finer, brittle, etc so my mom cut it to BSL and then forced me to perm it, thinking that would add volume.  Of course, it was as fragile as my health, so it broke off horribly, etc and didn't have the ability to grow back well.

Now that I'm an adult, my health problems have improved and my hair is once again healthy and able to grow although it is very very fine and somewhat thin (but not balding or wispy thin).  It doesn't appear to grow because the ends were constantly breaking off so three months ago I cut off 5" (gasp! I know) of wispy uneven ends that made it look ragged. However, since I cut it I have 3 months of healthy grow and beautiful ends with no breakage.  I got ahead of the damage so that now it all looks great.  I only use a blowdryer in the winter because of work but other than that no heat styling tools are used. 

My hair is currently 22" but I'm 5' 8" with a long, thin neck so it doesn't even reach BSL. My goal is small of my back or at least past the bottom of my bra strap.  I'm currently an everyday washer-I never thougth about this being bad for my hair-and I want to go to as infrequent a schedule as I can.  Right now if I don't wash my hair everyday, it is a grease ball by 10AM.  It's so fine that the oil just overwhelms it.  I realize that the frequent washing can contribute to the oily state it's in.

Today I did my first CO wash and my hair was still squeaking clean when I rinsed it out.  I couldn't believe it. 

I welcome any suggestions you have for shampoo and conditioner products, both natural and commerical, to put my hair in the best possible shape and allow me to start a successful transistion to less frequent washing and longer locks!

Thanks!

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 5:26pm

Hi JerCat....and welcome  

Fine thin hair is very fragile and a well-known phrase used around these boards is to "treat it like antique lace".  This means do everything gently. 

You are right in trying to cut back on the frequency of your washes....the less you handle your hair the better.  I am so glad that CO has worked for you, keep this up and you will see improvement.  If you must use shampoo, use a sulfate free one and dilute it, using it only on your scalp.   ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) rinses are also a good idea after your wash.

What colour is your hair?  If you would like to put some weight on it (ie...make it a bit thicker) then henna may be a good option for you. Of course if you have blonde hair, then it wouldn't be such a good idea   Alternatively, you could use Cassia as a treatment every so often...this would also add some thickness and conditioning to your hair.

Other tips would be sleeping on a silk or satin pillowcase, wearing protective up-styles (such as braids, buns etc), taking a vitamin supplement such as biotin, avoiding any sort of brushing or heat styling (fine thin hair just can not take this), oiling your hair, periodic clarifying (so you hair doesn't get limp and flat from build-up) and regular micro-trims.   Your ends sound GREAT btw!

Can you post a pic of your hair?

If you haven't already, have a read of the thread index and abbreviations (posted by Anais) which is a sticky at the beginning of this forum.  There is heaps of good information in there too.

Good luck and I hope you will stick around here for a while

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 5:27pm
Hey JerCat - I like your name! I'd say keep trying CO and see if it works for you. My fine hair really hates shampoo. Also, comb VERY gently starting from the bottom and working carefully up the length. Use up-dos to protect your hair whenever possible. As for products, I like Giovanni direct leave in, Aveda products, coconut oil, and a nice carrot seed oil spray made for the face (but great in the hair) by Burt's Bees. Hope that helps!
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 11:16am
Hi, glad to hear that your hair is looking so good! I don't have fine hair (at least I don't think I do...) but my hair is quite fragile at times. I find that trying to spend longer detangling my hair is better for me. If I do it quickly then I break many more hairs whereas if I comb through with dry fingers first, I'm not reminded of a bowll of Rice Crispies!

Hope that you find a way to avoid washing so frequently.

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 9:45pm
Greetings and welcome, JerCat!  Thank you for sharing your hair history with us.

Originally posted by JerCat JerCat wrote:

I welcome any suggestions you have for shampoo and conditioner products, both natural and commerical, to put my hair in the best possible shape and allow me to start a successful transistion to less frequent washing and longer locks!

While I don't have specific product recommendations, you could try diluting your shampoo in an (otherwise) empty plastic bottle (a used-up shampoo bottle works well).  Also, try gradually stretching the interval between one wash to the next.  This may allow your scalp to adjust to being cleaned less frequently, and over time it may take longer to accumulate oils.  Some people swear by BBB (boar bristle brushes) on thoroughly-detangled hair, to move the sebum from the scalp through the strands.

Just a few ideas which might help...

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 11:11pm

Hi JerCat,

Welcome to the board

That's great that your hair responded well to CO! I have been COing for a good year or so (deviated from it last month to try Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, which was fun). CO leaves my hair and scalp happier than shampoo. The only problem is getting rid of product residue and dead skin cells. Apple Cider Vinegar rinses help, and so does gentle exfoliation with sanded nails (as well as brown sugar scalp scrubs, but I haven't tried this one personally).

Take care
Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic