Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

went from jet black to fried

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
33nscv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33nscv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: went from jet black to fried
    Posted: March 20 2006 at 4:52pm
After having jet black thick healthy hair for 10years i went into the salon and demanded my 2 year experince hairstlist to make me blonde at 33 i should of known it was going to fall out and get damaged I take full responsibility however here it is my hair fell a good 60 percent its strawberry light and yet i need to go platinum blonde help someone help I know I'm not the only person who is living this ..any tips for getting strong please don't say stop dyeing it .....
aubergine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 6:09am
Oh dear...I'm sorry to hear about that.  You need lots of deep conditioners and protein treatments to help make your hair more managable and feel and look healthier.  People rave about the L'anza 5 step treatment that you can get at hairdressers - PM Claude, i think he knows about it. 

However, nothing can fully repair your hair, only new growth hair will be as healthy as it used to be.  Have you had a good trim?

To get your hair to platimun blonde may be off the cards for a while until your hair improves.  Ask Rebekah or KellyH, or one of the other blondies on here to help you get to platinum safely (as safe as you can!).

Good luck.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 8:06am
60% of your hair fell out and you still want to go from strawberry blonde to platinum?  When I was platinum, my hair fell out quite a bit.  I started with thick hair, so my hair just looked normal thinnish, not bad.  But I started from dark blonde to get there. If you're going from black and already lost 60% of your hair, going white will likely make you lose the rest of it - so what's the point of dyeing it white so it can be white hair in the trash can?  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 1:08pm
60% and you want to continue?  Bleaching to white blond is extraordinarly harsh.  So if you want the bald look, go for it. 

Weather Forcast - With high humidity in the air, expect general hair frizziness to continue :-/
Current Length: 30 inches or so from the front
crisssy101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crisssy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 6:38pm

Now, I'm not advocating this one way or the other.. but I've been bleaching my hair white blond for years and mine doesn't look fried and I have brownish/black hair.  The first time I dyed it, like you, it came out a 'reddish' color.  Don't panic.  I gave it about 2 weeks, then I bleached it again.  (You've gotta be brave, girl)  The 2nd time did the trick.  Here's what I use:

Frost & Design Dramatic Blonde Highlights by L'Oreal

Frost & Design, Dramatic Blond Highlights
by L'Oreal (they switched to a new box)

You can't really see it but she has white blond streeks in there.

Why a highlighting kit?  Because no matter what hair companies tell you, 'Yellow' is not the new 'blonde' and those people on the hair dye boxes lie.  You're hair will never look like that, don't even set yourself up for the heartache.   Forget about the dye, go for the good stuff.  

So, my ritual is this: I buy the above lighting kit ($13) and a cheap tooth brush ($1).  You will also need a hand held mirror so you can see the back of your head and you will need a comb with one of those pointed tips to help part your hair.  

Now get a bowl, pour in the powder and the bottle of lighting solution.  (Do not use the tube of conditioning cream yet.  Put it off to the side.)  With my comb, I part my hair down the middle.  I then create long, THIN sections (forehead to crown) and with my toothbrush paint my roots. (when I do this, I try to imitate my hair stylist.  Think about how they section off your hair before they cut/dye it.  Do that.)  

The first time you do this, you probably don't have to be so meticulous since you want to cover all your hair, not just new growth.  But afterward, this is how you get to your roots without re-dying the same portions over and over again.

For obvious reasons you want to avoid that.  *wink*  

After I'm done, I take the tube of conditioning creme and apply it to all of my hair (roots and tips)  I then wait a good 45 minutes or until I decide it's time to wash it out.  One last tip.  Use the purple toner sparingly.  Being white blond, IT WILL turn your hair a purple gray if you aren't careful (I learned that the hard way).  Personally, I never apply it directly to my hair.  I pour some in my hands, then I work it in as needed.

Now, until you get good at this, you will probably miss a few spots.  Don't panic.  It happens to the best of us.  Just wait a few days then get another box for touch ups and toning out any yellow still hanging on.  I've been doing this for a good ten years now, and I can honestly say the only time I even came close to having fried hair was when I decided to splurge and went to a salon. Big MISTAKE.  First, it turned yellow.  Second, what ever they used burned the heck out of my scalp.  It took a good year or so of conditioning and to get it back in shape.  

That's another thing.  While the flashy shampoos made just for blond hair can be tempting, you really need a deep conditioning shampoo and a strengthening conditioner more than you need to 'revitalize your color.'  I use Feria Conditioner ($7) and Nexxus deep conditioning shampoo --generic ($8) <--- Sally's Beauty Supply.  Once a week I use a deep conditioning/protein treatment of some sort...and there you go. 

Hang in there, I hope this helps.  And good luck.

Edited by crisssy101
I live like I type, fast with lots of mistakes.
Jammar190 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jammar190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 8:46pm
I don't get it!! Why is Ammonia the only one with dark brown hair who actually improved with bleaching? lol. I have dark brown hair too so I have no idea what to do now(want to go light blonde)
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 9:35pm

Dont be fooled.Noone's hair is ever "Improved" with lightening.Even if they start off with virgin hair.Your hair will be alot different after bleaching.Your hair may very well be in fairly good condition.But it will change your hair.Your hair will be drier,less shiny,and much weaker than it started.But thats where deep conditioners come into play. I myself like Aussie 3 minute miracle.Its $5 a bottle,but it works just as good as any pro product I've used.And much easier on the wallet.

Your hair can still look and feel nice after bleaching(which is exactly what you'll have to do to get to light blonde from dark brown).But it wont ever be the same.

33nscv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33nscv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:20pm

Thank you all for your comments like I said I'm old enough to take the truth even if it hurts... here is my update I went back to the salon she only used a toner with a purple to try and get the red brassy out it worked not compelety but better..again I lost some hair but not like the first time ..I'm washing my hair every 3 days and ladies it looks good up ..thank you for the adive on products...you know here is a question for some of you Why ? do we go thru drastic change with our hair color ? Honestly I look in the mirror and it looks like me or does it..

I'm sorry if the question is weird .. also I'd like to post a before and after pictures how do I do that ?   Best Hair wishes to all, 33nsvc

KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 10:22pm

Who knows why we do what we do?

You can host pics for free at www.photobucket.com. It'll give you a link to post here.

meli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 4:36pm

33nscv, try using some hair products that help with damaged hair, such as K-Pak, ApHOGEE, etc. or some kind that stimualtes hair growth (I can't remember the name of it at the moment)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic