Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Hair **Picture included*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Lovebug3302004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lovebug3302004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 2:34pm
Okay! Thank you for your suggestion!
My hair is: 3a, Fine, ii hair, currently 23" long.
Goal: Waist, or about 34".
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Lovebug3302004 Lovebug3302004 wrote:

Everyone keeps saying that my hair doesn't look damaged, but in that first picture, what do you call all the frizzy hairs? Aren't those damaged? I always thought that was sort of the definition of damaged. (Because I have lots of split ends.)

I hadn't even realized that all three pictures I posted were in Black and White.. I just always take pictures in B/W, and so so I never notice things like that.. Well I just attempted to take some pictures of my hair in color, but I think the lighting in the bathroom/camera setting wasn't right, because my hair looks really red, but it isn't..

From tonight:

(My cat likes to be in pictures with me.. I'm figuring that out now. )

Split ends are damage.  But they can be removed after a series of split-trimming sessions, and new ones minimized with TLC.  Beyond that, you can also use a slight bit of oil smoothed onto the lower portion of your hair.

Your cat just likes to be with you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lovebug3302004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 8:37pm

I'm going to try to look into getting some sort of Oil for my hair, I know someone suggested Burt's Bees, and I'm going to keep an eye out for that, but are there any other kinds? That I could maybe just find in my local grocery stores that would work well but not cost much?

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 7:53pm
My favorite is jojoba (straight, or with EO's added for fragrance) since jojoba most closely resembles natural sebum, and it works very well on my hair.  But as with all things, what works for one person might not work for another.  Some people love coconut or almond oils.  In part it depends on your hair's texture.  Try a health food store, if there's one in your area, and find out the range of choices they offer.
Impaler Vlad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Lovebug3302004 Lovebug3302004 wrote:

My cat likes to be in pictures with me.. I'm figuring that out now. )

Maybe your kitten kikes your hait, too! I think it's perfectly understandable...

Blessed be,
Mark Edward Arthur Mac Arran Blackrose
summer*22* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 7:13pm

~Lovebug~

Your hair is so pretty.  I personally love it straight but it is absolutely beautiful curly too.  I also have curly hair that I have always used a flat iron to straighten.  I recommend getting you hair cut 1/2 inch to 1 inch every 6-8 weeks.  This will insure all split and damaged ends are cut off so your hair can continue to grow and be healthy.

When you go to a salon research and ask the people you know who they go to and who they love.  Don't be shy and tell the stylist EXACTLY what you want...it is your hair!!!  If you only want 1/2 an inch trimmed off...make it clear before they start cutting your hair....and tell the stylist you are trying to grow it longer.

Since you have curly hair (like mine)...find a real good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner...I also like sleek smoothing shampoo & conditioner...helps with the course frizziness.  Do an at home leave in treatment at least once a week like Redkens All Soft Leave in Treatment or Redkens Smooth Down Butter Treatment.  Leave in treatments are Awesome!!!  Just don't chemically straighten your hair as I have learned...try to stay away from the chemicals if you can.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by summer*22* summer*22* wrote:

I recommend getting you hair cut 1/2 inch to 1 inch every 6-8 weeks.  This will insure all split and damaged ends are cut off so your hair can continue to grow and be healthy.

Lovebug,

I'm sorry, I hate to rain on summer's otherwise very supportive post, but with all due respect to her and to it, if you follow the quoted suggestion, your hair may not get longer, and in fact, it could get shorter, depending on your hair's rate of growth.

The longer the interval between trims, and the less you have trimmed, the faster your hair can grow.  This makes gentle haircare routines invaluable.

One thing you can do is "search & destroy" split ends (basically, examine the ends of your hair strands, and individually (and carefully!) trim split or broken ends with a pair of very sharp scissors made for haircutting.  Do this for as much time as you can give, as often as you want.  After some sessions, you will notice the number of splits in your hair to be reduced - which can serve as motivation to continue employing this technique.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 7:31pm

Also I forgot to add....I have naturally curly hair too and tend to have dry hair and frizziness.  I think that just goes along with having curly hair.  Your flyaways may just be frizziness.  I always have to put on a moisturizing or sleek/smooth leave in conditioner (an absolute must!!!!).  I don't use mouse or gel at all.  You just need regular trims and products for your hair type.  Before I damaged my hair I loved panteen pro-v moisturizing shampoo & conditioner w/ the leave in treatment....and then I started using and really loved Garnier Sleek/Smooth shamoo/conditioner/leave-in treatment.  Whenever I straightened it I used the skinny serum from Paul Mitchell...which is the clear frizz free glosses sold by many brands...made a huge difference!!!

But I damaged my hair w/chemicalls so now Im just working on repairing it with redken extreme products.  But I know the Redken All Soft and Redken Smooth Down line are awesome!!!  With my curly hair I need a good moisturizing shampoo/conditioner...a leave in conditioner...and a clear glossy frizz free syrum...But thats just my curly course hair...

I hope u find something that works great, your hair is so pretty already!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 7:39pm

Hmmm....DaveDecker,

I apologize if I gave misinformation...that's just what I've always been told.  I do admit that I did not cut my hair for about 2 1/2 years and it grew tremendously...so maybe you don't need to cut it if it is healthy.  I always wear my hair in a ponytail most of the time so that may be why it grew faster ( less heat & weather damage).  I recently started getting it trimmed and it still grows good but I do keep it up most of the time.  I think its hard to know what to do because all hairstylists say different things.  Many of them probably want you in their faster so that they can make more money...

Thanks,

Summer

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 7:52pm
Hi Summer,

No apologies required.  Nobody's perfect, me most definitely included.

I believe your statement (re: some hairstylists' motivations) is true.  The contrasting opinions (closer to my sugg) may come from those who are more honest with their clients.  A major raison d'etre of this Forum is to share our expertise and fill in the gaps where the professionals are lacking in the knowledge necessary to help us achieve our goals.

Edited by DaveDecker
horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 7:58pm
Hey, while reading this, Dave, I noticed what you said about split ends.....what about the hairs (like, I have hairs that cut off at every length) up above the ends?
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lovebug3302004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 8:02pm

Thanks for the advice, both of you. I tend to just stay away from scissors all together, because usually when I get them in my hands (especially hair-cutting ones) I start with search and destroy, and then suddenly I am cutting bangs and stuff for myself..  (It's happened more than once.) But maybe I'll try it here again soon and see if I can get rid of some more split ends.

I still haven't found a really good leave-in-type treatment to help moisturize my hair.. but some day I will, I'm sure.

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by horselover_1625 horselover_1625 wrote:

Hey, while reading this, Dave, I noticed what you said about split ends.....what about the hairs (like, I have hairs that cut off at every length) up above the ends?

Yes Rani, you'll want to examine those for split ends, too.  I generally "fish" through the last several feet of my hair for splits, but I tend to find more near the ends.

Originally posted by Lovebug Lovebug wrote:

I tend to just stay away from scissors all together, because usually when I get them in my hands (especially hair-cutting ones) I start with search and destroy, and then suddenly I am cutting bangs and stuff for myself..

Lovebug...  you'll definitely want to entrust the scissors to others only.

Edited by DaveDecker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic