Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A little puzzled about length...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cookiesnkream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookiesnkream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A little puzzled about length...
    Posted: April 05 2006 at 9:49pm

I am at a length of 15 to 16 inches or so all over my
head and yet on me on the front and sides i am
armpit length, and in back im about an inch away
from brastap,, i have seen some ppl say those
same inches 15 or 16 are shoulder length on them
lol,, and i just read someone say that they are 21
inches and thats armpit length for them i dont have
an unusually short neck or small head but i do have
a small face ,, could this be why my hair hangs
longer lol,, im puzzled lol or am i measuring
something wrong?? what i did was take a tape
measure and sort of hang it from where i have my
hair parted on the sides and just see where it
reaches,, is this flawed in some way??
Hair type: 3b some c?, fine strands, last relaxer sept 05, never again!!! current :ap length on sides,,nearly bsl in back, damn those old frazzled ends! I am hair OBSESSED   
Phoenix1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 12:10am

People are different sizes everywhere, face, neck, back, etc. The different measurements come from that fact and also that some people wear their brastrap very high up so it seems they get there faster and with less inches of growth. Some wear them down low and so it takes more inches to get there. You can't go by someone else's measurements as to where you will be. That's their body. Even if you are measuring the same way, you might still be different.

They probably measured from the forehead back, so it seems to be a little different from how you did it. You should put the end of the measuring tape at the very point where your forehead and hair meet and take it back to the very end of your hair. Where it stops, that's how long it is.

From the forehead back.... (I just measured right now, 'cause I've never done it before just to see.):

For me, shoulder length is 16 inches, armpit length is 21 inches, brastrap length is 24/25 inches, waist length is 27.5 inches, and tailbone length is 34 inches.

ETA - I think I am one of the ones who wear their brastrap too low.

Edited by Phoenix1017
My Hair Site
Copy site: http://phoenix1017.sitesled.com

Current Length:32"
Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 12:47am
yeah what feenie said.   Body proportions vary.  Some necks are longer...shorter... some folks have receding hairlines or widow's peaks...long backs... short backs... you name it 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 1:13am

I didn't even think about receding hairlines, and widow's peaks Sista!!! LMAO!!!

My Hair Site

Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 3:01pm
I was puzzled by this also, thanks for clearing it up Phoenix.  I had no idea you started at your forehead.  I just took a chunk and measured from the root to the ends, I'm guessing that wasn't accurate.   I thought they  meant how long the hair was that actualy grows out of your head but now I see that it's the overall length.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 7:22pm

Yep! That's how most people do it, I think. I prefer to measure from the ear down on the side though. I don't usually do the forehead to the back thing.

That is why I took time to do it last night. I found it interesting.

My Hair Site

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookiesnkream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 9:03pm

OHH ok,,, but now im really confused LOL,, how do
u measure from the forhead back, I just take some
hair from the side of my center part and measure
from scalp down to end and go by those inches,,,isnt
measuring from the forhead to the back skewed??
lol
Hair type: 3b some c?, fine strands, last relaxer sept 05, never again!!! current :ap length on sides,,nearly bsl in back, damn those old frazzled ends! I am hair OBSESSED   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 9:13pm

No, you put the end of the measuring tape at the beginning of your hairline. The tape should go along the middle of your head all the way down to your back. (your hair should be combed back, not parted on the sides.)

To see how long your hair is, you can either get a small mirror and look into a bigger mirror through it, locate where your hair is and note the number of inches mentally. Or you can locate the ends of your hair with your fingers, hold it to the tape measure, let the hair go without completely letting go of the tape and bring the tape to the front to see how many inches it is.

I did it both ways last night. I'm not sure if it is skewed or not, but that is how whites, blacks and lots of people do it.

Edited by Phoenix1017
My Hair Site

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 9:21pm

I drew you a picture in paint of how to do it:  

My Hair Site

Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 10:21am
What a cute pic.  I'm going to do this after I straighten my hair later.
tffy2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tffy2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 1:33am
Phoenix you are quite the artist
Goal:Waistlength Natural Hair!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 12:43pm
My Hair Site

Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 2:32pm

Measurements differ on people.

My hair will be waist length at 30".

On some people it's as much as 34" or 36". They simply have longer torsos.

Likewise, 22" looks long on me, but would probably not look long on those with longer necks, etc.

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookiesnkream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 7:32pm

Oh ok thanx LOL Phoenix , love that pic ,, im
gona try it that way soon , i think i'll get different
measurements this way....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic