Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Permanent Color On Wigs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Permanent Color On Wigs?
    Posted: April 12 2006 at 5:50pm

Since most human hair wigs have been chemically treated to create the various hair colors it is my understanding that it if you wish to recolor them, you need to use hair color products that do not contain high volumes of peroxide - in otherwords, you should use a gentle acid base non-peroxide color product.

Has anyone had experience with this?  What color products would you recommend?

Edited by Karen Shelton
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 6:06pm

As long as your only depositing color it should be okay.In fact when you put the color back it seems to improve the condition of the hair.

I would not under any circomestances reccomend using any lifting color.Even the hair I've used that was supposed to be "high quality" had been processed way too much.

Alot of times especially with lighter colors they lift up the haircolor and then deposit with fabric dye.The hair gets so damaged it wont hold basic color.

I've had really good luck with demi permanents though.I like to use Clairol radiance colorgloss from Sally's beauty supply.

Hope I helped.And thanks for making a wigs section.I'm hoping it will bring more interest to lacefronts.

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 7:50pm

Hi Longhair,

Thanks for the hair color info.  I will check out the Clairol.  Great tip.

I have had quite a few requests for a Wigs topic area.  I agree. I hope it will help with lots of good info.

NClady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NClady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 3:12pm

I used three boxes of Dark N Lovely permanent when I dyed my Full lace wig black...It was softer to me after I dyed it...

amazon1147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amazon1147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 3:22pm
I think that if u are coloring a virgin unit (which I have done several times) u can use permanent dyes and bleach w/20 or 30 volume developer on them. I have used color box kits such as feria on my units, I have used bleach and developer on my units and I have  also done a 2 step process where u lift 1st (with bleach and developer)  then add the toner.  Also make sure u do a STRAND TEST prior to using any hair color products on your hair so that u will not be surprised at the results.  I have lifted several wigs, put in honey blonde hilights, etc. Lifting hair on the wigs is not a problem as long as u remember to condition the hair very well.  HTH.
Asia35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asia35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 5:35pm
I  use Loreal Feria
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic