Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trim...How often?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trim...How often?
    Posted: April 18 2006 at 12:32pm
For someone who's growing their hair out...How often should one get a trim and how much should be taken off at a time?
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 6:04pm
Good question Yoda. 

It depends on several factors:

* Your hair's current shape (one-length blunt cut, or super-short layers?)

* What's more important to you - additional length, or less layering?

Generally, your hair needs to be trimmed less -- and less often -- than most stylists will recommend.

You also need to find a stylist who will truly support your growth endeavor.  Some stylists promise they'll help you grow your hair out, only to trim off all of the length that's grown since your prior visit.

If your stylist trims 1/4" or less, once every 2 months or more, your  hair will get longer - provided, of course, that you also take good care of your hair.  But you didn't ask for advice on that, so I won't say any more about it.

Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 7:35pm

That's perfect! Thank you DaveDecker!

Although, if you don't mind...I wouldn't mind hearing a few good ways to take care of my hair. Lord knows I need it!

Thanks,

Jess

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 9:12pm
Okay, tell us how you care for your hair now.

Also, how long is your hair now, is it layered (and if so, how much), and how long do you want it to grow?
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 11:36pm

Ok, well I actually just got it trimmed Friday. My Aunt sort of insisted on it. So, now it's at or just past the top of my bra strap (in back). All one length.

I'd like to try to get it down to waist length or at least close to it.

Right now, I wash it...every three to four days...I use conditioner every other time mostly. Because since my hair is fairly thin...conditioner tends to make it a bit frizzy.

After I wash it, I towel dry it and apply BioSilk Therapy to my hair. Now, yesterday I used a blow dryer because I was in a hurry...but I set it to cool rather than warm or hot. Generally I just let it dry on its own. I use a hair straightener on it when it gets wavy in certain areas...or after I've washed and dried my hair. And when it's wet, I use a wide tooth comb to brush through it.

Edited by Yoda
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic